Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2016, 09:12   #76
Senior Member+

Re: Windows 10

I tried W10 when it came out but after a couple of weeks I reverted back to W7. Developed a problem a few weeks ago and a friend did a complete rebuild of my LT, part of which was a loading of W10 from disc, not the download. It is now very different than the free d/l from MS and I am finding it very easy to use - I admit that I don't use a great deal of what is on offer, but what I do use is quicker, more capable in a number of areas and more user friendly. Quite happy with it now. Only come across one problem that so far not resolved and that is setting up my Epson WF2350 in Wi-Fi mode, which I understand is a common problem setting up older peripherals on W10.
Accrington Web
Old 07-03-2016, 10:11   #77
Beacon of light

good to hear that there are some satisfies users.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 15:47   #78
Beacon of light

I have disabled automatic downloads...I hid the windows 10 update....today my security system alerted me that I had a windows security update that required to be installed.....despite hiding this update...it was pesky windows10....didn't find this out until it had been installed and the windows10 icon appeared on my taskbar.
I have just uninstalled it. I wish I could kick the chuffing thing into touch.
I am going to keep on getting this security message forevermore.
Anyway, i have the number of this update securely marked onto the screen of my computer.
Old 24-03-2016, 15:52   #79
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Anyway, i have the number of this update securely marked onto the screen of my computer.
Knowing what windows is like you soon won't be able to see your screen, it will be covered in post it notes!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 15:58   #80
Senior Member+

I am getting used to windows 10 now
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 16:49   #81
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Knowing what windows is like you soon won't be able to see your screen, it will be covered in post it notes!
no Less...I only need to see the number KB3035583 to know that it is not a security update...but a sneaky attempt to get me to load windows 10.
Had I recognised the number I would certainly not have installed it today. I thought that hiding the update would stop it from appearing......but No. That would be far too simple.
Old 24-03-2016, 16:50   #82
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I am getting used to windows 10 now
I don't want it Frank(I am pretty sure I could get used to it if I wanted to...but I don't want to)....and I certainly object to this sneaky way of promoting it.
Old 24-03-2016, 20:45   #83

Quote:
no Less...I only need to see the number KB3035583 to know that it is not a security update...but a sneaky attempt to get me to load windows 10.
Had I recognised the number I would certainly not have installed it today. I thought that hiding the update would stop it from appearing......but No. That would be far too simple.
As I said, knowing what Windows is like (not just Windows 10) every update from now on will link you to Windows 10 update they want you to use it, they will eventually force you to use it. As I said earlier in the thread, resistance is futile. unless you change your OS.
Old 24-03-2016, 21:19   #84
Beacon of light

Less, I remember what you said...and yes at some point I will not be able to obtain a PC that does not run Windows 10.
Why do they want me to use it? Furthermore, if it is so damn good why is it free?
some people will accept anything if you tell them it is free...and usually I like free things.
I just don't want this and will hold off having it for as long as possible.

As for changing my OS...well, that might be one way out of it.Will save up for a Mac OS perhaps
Old 24-03-2016, 22:18   #85

Quote:
Less, I remember what you said...and yes at some point I will not be able to obtain a PC that does not run Windows 10.
Why do they want me to use it? Furthermore, if it is so damn good why is it free?
some people will accept anything if you tell them it is free...and usually I like free things.
I just don't want this and will hold off having it for as long as possible.

As for changing my OS...well, that might be one way out of it.Will save up for a Mac OS perhaps
If I could afford another mac I'd have one without hesitation, get the empty beer bottles back to the off licence,it will clear your front room and get you the money you need.
Old 26-03-2016, 03:26   #86
God Member

follow these steps to remove and keep out the win 10 notification

may be an idea to bookmark it as you may need to reboot once or twice while you go throughthe guide

How to Remove the ?Get Windows 10? Icon from Your System Tray

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 20:17   #87
Beacon of light

Thank you for that helpful information.
I will need to follow it closely.
Old 26-03-2016, 20:20   #88
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
If I could afford another mac I'd have one without hesitation, get the empty beer bottles back to the off licence,it will clear your front room and get you the money you need.
Less, we have no beer bottles to return(ah, those were the days).
Daughter has a Mac OS and although it took her a while to get used to it she would not willingly go back to Windows.
When I got my newer machine....?She asked why I hadn't gone for a mac......I told her it was purely on cost. I was being frugal.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 27-03-2016, 08:48   #89
Senior Member+

Aren't Apple just as bad as Microsoft for trying to force you to update, my phones been nagging me for ages and no permanent way of turning stopping it.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 09:42   #90
Beacon of light

Yes, I think they are.....except they don't(as far as I am aware) cloak their change in operating system as an update.

My security system highlights the fact that I have not downloaded an important update every time windows updates come online.....and because it sees it as a security threat this makes me a bit twitched. Well, it did. Now I know that this security update is nothing of the sort I will check it out and then dismiss it.
It is this underhand way of going about getting 'converts' that I am strongly suspicious of.

« popups | Tapatalk »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..