Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2016, 06:20   #121
Beacon of light

Re: Windows 10

Rob you are a user of a smart phone.
Now I might be wrong here, but wasn't Windows 10 developed for phones?(relying on touch screens)
I do not use a smart phone( though once they have developed the technology enough for the smart phone to make the beds, do the hoovering and hang the washing out.....I might just get one then).....and although I use an iPad, much of my crafting is done using a desk top.
You have (comparative) youth on your side too. Makes adapting to new stuff easier. You are male too. All of these things mean you are far more tech savvy than us old duffers.
I will stick with Windows 7 for as long as I can.Who knows by 2020 I may have saved up enough for a Mac OS.......
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-06-2016, 19:31   #122
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Now I might be wrong here, but wasn't Windows 10 developed for phones?(relying on touch screens)
Wrong yes. Its designed to be the last operating system release but with continuous development. Basically, you pay once for windows and later you will be given choice whether or not you want the new features(from what I gather, I havent read too much about it) as they are devoloped

Windows 8 looked to be that way, with its stupid full screen thing(which i didnt mind personally, I just ignored it existed). Ok on a tablet; I guess it worked, but the tablet versions of windows (surface for example) was not the same version of windows 8 that was on the pc. It was Windows RT and RT is a pile of ****e. Didn't run all the programs a PC can and that is a killer for a windows tablet. I believe the latest version of the Surface has a full blown copy of windows, and I think RT is officially dead(we can only hope)

Win8- People hated that metro screen and wanted the start menu back. In 10 They kinda made the start menu a combination of what it was originally, the tiles from the full screen metro shell(pointless, I removed them) and a little bit of the siri type search thing(that tracks your input, of which you turn off in the settings)

Quote:

I do not use a smart phone..... although I use an iPad, much of my crafting is done using a desk top.
The above statement IMHO is slightly contradictory. In a sense you have a smartphone already.

OK perhaps not. But what if we politely call them smart devices, then the ipad/iphone becomes much a similar thing. Its the same OS(iOS) and both do all the things you would need to do on a smartphone. These days with things such as facebook messenger, whatsapp and other things, who necessarily needs phone credit to contact people. You can use your home broadband to connect and a lot of the time the quality is much better using voip. Only real difference is the specs, size and a few other things. If you was to buy a smartphone, I would think it would be an iphone, you wouldn't even have to learn to use it. I haven't owned one, but ive used one, I have had two ipads(had an ipad mini and it was awful, but now I have an ipad pro and its fantastic!) and an ipod touch and they are all the same on the surface.

Pedantic I know. But debatable all the same

Quote:

You have (comparative) youth on your side too. Makes adapting to new stuff easier. You are male too. All of these things mean you are far more tech savvy than us old duffers.
If I may be so bold, I call that a Cop-Out. Mum is closing in on 70 in a few years and she does fine with her android phones My dad on the other hand.... I remember when DVD's came out and mum had to record them onto video, because he couldn't figure out how to use the DVD player and a few years ago he compared a faulty DVD to a VHS and said "DVD is rubbish, videos never used to stop and start and go back to the beginning" All I could think about was using that tracking button all the time to get the lines off the screen

Shorter version of the above paragraph would've read - Cop-Out. Don't sell your self short. But ive only been typing for 50 hours this week. Why not carry on a bit longer hehe

Quote:
I will stick with Windows 7 for as long as I can.Who knows by 2020 I may have saved up enough for a Mac OS.......
If it still works...... Why not

Last edited by Restless; 04-06-2016 at 19:36.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 20:17   #123
Beacon of light

In essence much of what you say makes sense.
I do consider myself better equipped than some of my peers. I do not use many of the apps you mention.....no snapchat, no whatsapp. I distrust them in the way that I distrust facebook(and yes, I know it is all down to the intelligence of the user)
These apps have no relevance for me. I sometimes use FaceTime, but really my iPad is just a convenient way to have access to a computer in a portable format.
I am not contactable(other than e-mail, and I can ignore those if I want to).
I won't be buying an iPhone. I have a mobile that lurks at the bottom of my bag....it has no camera, no internet access.....it is just a phone......and only used to summon assistance if I need it.
I know it is old fashioned, but I do not feel the need to be in constant contact with folk......many of whom I am trying to avoid anyway
Restless likes this.
Old 04-06-2016, 21:00   #124
Beacon of light

Rob...on reflection I can learn anything I really want to learn.....it is just that I have not liked the way Windows 10 has been marketed...the way it has been pushed at people. It makes me very suspicious of Microsofts motives.
I am a lot like a donkey....i can be coaxed, I can be cajoled, but I will not be kicked into doing something because everyone else is doing it.
None of us know where we will be in 2020...heck I might just have left this earthly plane by then....but if not I will deal with whatever comes next(but I will still save up for a Mac os)
Restless and Gremlin like this.
Old 05-06-2016, 16:31   #125
Senior Member+

Margaret, my new friend has a new Mac and I've had look around it. I will certainly be having one when this thing decides I've clicked it to death.
Ive got an Apple Iphone 6s and an Ipad so it only makes sense to follow that route. Everything links in seamlessly. Well hers does.
Old 05-06-2016, 21:17   #126
Beacon of light

Yes Russell, I think Mac is the way to go.
But it will be a while before I get one.....my desk top was only bought three months ago.....so will have to wait a bit before I can justify buying a new machine.
I struggled to find a machine that was running Windows 7.
Old 06-06-2016, 18:22   #127
Senior Member+

Mines three year old nearly now but runs perfectly well so does it justify spending the amount of money a Mac costs? I think not at present.
It's a 21 inch flatscreen stand alone PC with built in DVD drive and all the connections you could want including a TV tuner. All about 2inch thick with remote keyboard and mouse.
It similar in size and shape to my friends Mac but not a patch on it in my opinion.
It has never had a game played on it either and any that came with the O/S was deleted.
So it's fast enough for anything I can need it for.
Old 06-06-2016, 18:47   #128
Beacon of light

Russell, you have answered your own question.
No.....it doesn't seem sensible to swap something that does all you need.
It looks like you will be in the queue with me....at some time in the future.
Old 06-06-2016, 20:41   #129
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Mines three year old nearly now but runs perfectly well so does it justify spending the amount of money a Mac costs? I think not at present.
It's a 21 inch flatscreen stand alone PC with built in DVD drive and all the connections you could want including a TV tuner. All about 2inch thick with remote keyboard and mouse.
It similar in size and shape to my friends Mac but not a patch on it in my opinion.
It has never had a game played on it either and any that came with the O/S was deleted.
So it's fast enough for anything I can need it for.
What has playing games got to do with it?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 21:42   #130
Senior Member+

I'm told that you need a fast processor for playing games on a PC.
I was trying to say I didn play games so my out of date PC was good enough for my needs.
Old 06-06-2016, 22:21   #131
Senior Member+

Choosing an os depends on what you would use it for. Since my spare time these days is mostly spent gaming; windows is the only option. Mac is out the question if your a gamer and Linux (despite a massive push by Steam and their product the Steam Box) is neither an option, mainstream game developers don't touch it with a bargepole.

So I scrapped Linux altogether. Used to dual boot, but i dont feel i have the time to learn it, if I wasn't a gamer I would be leaning more towards Mac because of editing capabilities on mac is superior, be it music, video or Photoshop.

True the faster processor the better for gaming, but its true for everything you do on the PC. Couldn't go back to anything before i5 on my desk pc. It would drive me bonkers! Fast enough for some is slow as a slug for me

Not just CPU to think of. But GPU. These days graphic cards have their own processor and memory.

Decided to upgrade this year, being sober for two and a half years, I have gone a bit nuts on the ole pc...

uploadfromtaptalk1465251620961.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2016, 09:34   #132
Beacon of light

good for you Rob.....whatever floats your boat.
My desk top is used for my crafting. I design my cards, edit some of them and do a little bit of printing.
when you talk about the Windows 10 tiles(i hate them) you said you junked them...that is because you know how to do this.
Getting that tiled start up screen would do my box in( I am getting far more intolerant of the things I do not like).
I WANT a START menu and then my comfortable desk top...it is my security blanket...take it off me and I howl like a baby.
I know you are laughing at this because it is ludicrous...I know it is ludicrous, but I cannot help myself.
Why do they have to change things when they aren't broken?
Old 07-06-2016, 10:02   #133
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I'm told that you need a fast processor for playing games on a PC.
I was trying to say I didn play games so my out of date PC was good enough for my needs.
Fairynuff, I just wondered if you thought games infected it for some reason.

If you are happy with the system you have and it works for you, be happy.
Restless likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 16:33   #134

We lost all our files, got a comp man in who we've used for years and he said it was gone for good and we'd have to reinstall it all! Grr!

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 16:57   #135
Senior Member+

What caused you to lose files, where they important?
I've had some success in the past with file recovery software, even after formatting, it does take ages though.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote

« popups | Tapatalk »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..