Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-12-2009, 18:12   #1
Full Member+

Windows 7

Having been convinced that Windows Vista was the be all and end all to computing problems, I must admit to being less than pleased with it after almost two years of being frustrated by the stop/start functionality and the amount of space it takes up on my hard drive. The pundits are now extolling Windows 7 as the antidote to all the previously encountered problems and pushing users to upgrade. My version of Vista is 32-bit and I am advised that I will need to clean install Windows 7 as only the 64-bit version can be upgraded, which makes me reluctant to attempt it as I will need to rehash/reload all my peripherals which may or may not work with the new system. I welcome any advice subscribers can offer.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-12-2009, 16:29   #2
God Member

Re: Windows 7

windows 7 is a big improvement on vista, i wiped vista of every pc or laptop i or my family and some friends owned and put xp on it because vista was nothing more than pure garbage

i am now using windows 7 ultimiate 32 bit and it is easier to navigate , easier to turn off annoying features, fatster performance and even if your manufacturer hasnt started providing driver support for win7 i have had no problems using vistas drivers for win7 as of yet.

try/borrow/aquire a copy off a friend if you can before you pay for it and never do a simple upgrade they never work as well as a fesh clean instalation just back up all your favourites and important files and strat a fresh.

another big problem vista had was that most manufactures sent out pc units and laptops with only 1gb of ram as it is teh minimum needed to run vistabut in reality you need a bare minimum of 2gb

my laptop is about 18 months old and has 2gb of ram and gets a higher performance score running win 7 than what it did running vista

loads of nice little features with win7 as well which can be seen on youtube if you look around windows 7 videos on there

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 16:47   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

why did you use the 32 bit version and not the 64? I am asking because I am about to try out 7 but not sure if I should use 64bit
Old 28-12-2009, 18:30   #4
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
why did you use the 32 bit version and not the 64? I am asking because I am about to try out 7 but not sure if I should use 64bit
Though quite adept atn using the various programs on my computer, I admit to being hopeless on the finer, technical side. My current PC came preloaded with Vista. I only checked the format when prompted to do so by my grandson. Reckon I might get him to wipe my hard drive altogether and load the 64-bit version of Windows 7 at the earliest opportunity.
Old 29-12-2009, 00:05   #5
Senior Member+

well if your pc is 64 bit use 64 bit version.....other way around isnt possible ???

Windows 7 is like a fixed vista.. its great. Best thing they have produced since XPsp2
Old 29-12-2009, 01:06   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

maybe a job for tomorrow
Old 29-12-2009, 02:17   #7
God Member

and so now all of a sudden Vista is kak and W7 is better.. when will this end?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 04:56   #8
God Member

vista has always been kack mate

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 29-12-2009, 05:21   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
well if your pc is 64 bit use 64 bit version.....other way around isnt possible ???

most systems over the last 3 years have 64bit processors but run 32bit operating systems just fine

i use 32 bit because i like my life easy and hassle free and besides i dont have enough RAM in my laptops to handle 64bit lol

did a quick google

Quote:
Q. What about all of my peripherals?
A.
As with PC support, most peripherals manufactured in the Vista era work with 64-bit Windows 7. However, legacy hardware support is a hit-or-miss proposition. Some manufacturers -- for example, vendors of network interface cards or disk storage controllers -- are more up to date than others, thanks in part to the fact that they've been supporting 64-bit computing under Windows Server since the 2002-2003 timeframe. Devices that don't have obvious ties to the datacenter (such as custom input devices, multimedia hardware, and some printers) can be harder to integrate since they were manufactured at a time when 64-bit desktops were a rarity. Your best bet is to do a Web search to see if the manufacturer has published a 64-bit device driver and, barring that, if other users have come up with a solution.

Old 29-12-2009, 17:00   #10
Senior Member+

yeah i have 4GB in mine so it needs 64bit windows

mancie. Windows 7 rules, Vista was ****e. You will find a lot of people agree. I fixed my friends mum's pc other day (shes 80) and even she agrees hehe
Old 29-12-2009, 17:40   #11
Full Member+

Guess I'm more baffled than ever now. My system has a 224GB Hard Drive and 2GB's of RAM. If that will support the 64-bit Windows 7 operating system, then I reckon my best bet would be to clean install it after backing up all my important files - which will no doubt mean my having to reload Microsoft Office and my HP Photosmart Printer Disks, not to mention my internet modem. Buggar.
Old 30-12-2009, 00:57   #12
God Member

2gb of ram isnt enough ,it will work but not very well, eveywhere i have read up on it says 4gb of ram minimumn

personaly i would go for 32bit because you will probably get problems with some software unless they have a specific 64bit version of it like photoshop does foe example

Old 30-12-2009, 18:38   #13
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
2gb of ram isnt enough ,it will work but not very well, eveywhere i have read up on it says 4gb of ram minimumn

personaly i would go for 32bit because you will probably get problems with some software unless they have a specific 64bit version of it like photoshop does foe example
My geek grandson reckons that rather than mess about, it would be easier for me to invest in a new PC.
Old 02-01-2010, 18:37   #14
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
My geek grandson reckons that rather than mess about, it would be easier for me to invest in a new PC.
According to 'The TechGuys' @ PC World - where I bought my current set up 2-years ago - the Windows 7 upgrade has discs for both 32 and 64-bit versions, which, they insist, would work satisfactorily with my system and periphals. They state that if my 6-month old HP printer, my Speedtouch modem and 350-GB external drive work with Vista, then they will most certainly work with the Windows 7 upgrade. Do I believe them?
Old 03-01-2010, 01:08   #15
Senior Member+

if that is the case when you go to install windows(the process may wipe your HD) it will ask you which version you want to install 32 or 64.......least it was the same with my disc

Tags
to upgrade or not.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..