Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-01-2010, 09:06   #1
God Member

Windows media player download

I'm after ripping some cd's to this computer but i can't because it doesn't have a Windows media player on it (a borrowed pc) how do i get around the fact that i don't have a genuine copy of Windows on it?
Old 30-01-2010, 09:29   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Windows media player download

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
I'm after ripping some Cd's to this computer but i can't because it doesn't have a Windows media player on it (a borrowed pc) how do i get around the fact that i don't have a genuine copy of Windows on it?
Can't help there Shaz always had the real mccoy, you can borrow my disc if you want
Old 30-01-2010, 09:34   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

You don't say which type of windows I'll assume your using xp, if not there is a link for vista on this page.

Windows Media Player 11
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 09:34   #4
God Member

cheers Jay but i can't really add anything to this pc seen as its not mine, i can't wait till i get my own pc back, this is doing my head in
Old 30-01-2010, 09:35   #5
God Member

yes its xp Less, i've tried downloading windows media 10 but its telling me i havent a genuine copy of Windows (which i already know) was just wondering if there was a way around it
Old 30-01-2010, 09:40   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
cheers Jay but i can't really add anything to this pc seen as its not mine, i can't wait till i get my own pc back, this is doing my head in
Quote:
yes its xp Less, i've tried downloading windows media 10 but its telling me i havent a genuine copy of Windows (which i already know) was just wondering if there was a way around it
Not much point, going any further, if the copy isn't genuine though you could try some software from this site:-

Freeware Home - Free Software Downloads
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 09:41   #7
Resting in Peace

You could download real player
or if you want to just copy music files over to the hard drive just put the CD in the drive go to my computer open the cd and copy the files across
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 14:55   #8

A very good free media player is KMplayer,works on Win7 and earlier,also a Linux version can be obtained,or a version to work on certain mobile equipment.Download main version at--

Free software downloads and reviews - Softonic
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 15:45   #9

flashy...you can do it with apples "itunes" which is a free d/load, but youve to set it up for what conversion you want..mp3..aac..wav...etc..........i have also used "Audiograbber" in the past....also free .. nowadays its better to just download what you require already converted.. (i get mine from a friend)
XP does have burning incorporated in all editions for cd's but not dvd's (think this is just pro version) so may have a ripper also...good luck and if you need any help just PM me...
AngleIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 18:41   #10
God Member

another vote for Audiograbber if you must use Windows.

Weirdly MP3 is a codec that has concerns over licensing but as you already are using a dodgy XP then that probably doesn't worry you.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:59   #11
God Member

seen as this thread has been dragged into the region of copyright infringment regarding music if anyone happens to be worried that their mp3 files may not be legal dont worry about it too much .Heres a snipit from another thread i started

basicaly record companies are complaining that us downloading music is stealing what is effectivly already stolen material lol

Quote:
Record Labels Face $6 Billion Damages for Pirating Artists

While the major record labels were dragging file-sharers and BitTorrent sites to court for copyright infringement, they were themselves being sued by aconglomerate of artists for exactly the same offenses. Warner, SonyBMG, EMI and Universal face up to $6 billion in damages for pirating amassive 300,000 tracks.

It is no secret that the major record labels have a double standard whenit comes to copyright. On the one hand they try to put operators ofBitTorrent sites in jail and ruin the lives of single mothers andstudents by demanding hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines, and onthe other they sell CDs containing music for which they haven’tobtained copyright permission.

In the past we’ve covered many disputes between artists and labels,where the latter is being accused or even sued for using songs withoutpermission. Just a few months ago Latin America’s biggest artist,Alejandro Fernández, sent the police to a Sony Music office to confiscate over 6,000 CDs that the label refused to return, and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

The labels have made a habit of using songs from a wide variety of artists for compilation CDs without securing the rights. They simply use the recording and make note of it on “pending list” so they can deal with it later. This has been going on since the 1980s and since then the list of unpaid tracks (or copyright infringements) has grownto 300,000.

Growing tired of the label’s piracy, a group of artists have filed a class-action lawsuitin Canada against four major labels connected to the CRIA, the local equivalent of the RIAA. In October last year Warner Music, Sony BMGMusic, EMI Music and Universal Music were sued for illegal use of thousands of tracks and at present the case is still underway.

How and why this blatant copyright infringement could go on for years is a mystery, but the label’s double standard has been picked up by the plaintiffs as well. “The conduct of the defendant record companies is aggravated by their strict and unremitting approach to the enforcement of their copyright interests against consumers,” the artists argue in their claim for damages.

The suit is still ongoing but already the labels have admitted to owing at least $50 million for infringing the rights of artists, andthis figure could grow as high as 6 billion. So who are the realpirates here?
when you buy a complilation CD you are supporting piracey lol

ps:

when you get your pc back flashy i will put some mp3 ripping software on for ya

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 02-02-2010 at 13:03.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 13:10   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
another vote for Audiograbber if you must use Windows.

Weirdly MP3 is a codec that has concerns over licensing but as you already are using a dodgy XP then that probably doesn't worry you.

as i said Ian, it isn't my pc
Old 04-02-2010, 14:32   #13
Senior Member+

good free ripper/converter...

dBpoweramp: CD Ripper & Audio Converter. Secure ripping to mp3, FLAC, m4a, Apple Lossless & WMA

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..