Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2014, 09:39   #46
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Windows XP - will you use after April?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
I feel the same way about MediaStudio Pro - which had been bought by Corel and they decided to kill it off when Vista came out rather than make it compatible.
Is that not a bit like saying they killed Office 95 when they brought out Office 97. I found the 2 versions so different it was like using someone elses software altogether
Old 14-04-2014, 15:26   #47
Senior Member+

Re: Re: Windows XP - will you use after April?

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
win2000
Using win2000/me IS a problem. Ugh horrible os
Old 15-04-2014, 08:43   #48
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

2000 was the best operating system available at the time. Don't even mention Linux, it was for geeks and weirdos then, come to think of it, it still is
Gremlin likes this.
Old 15-04-2014, 12:21   #49
Senior Member+

Re: Re: Windows XP - will you use after April?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
2000 was the best operating system available at the time. Don't even mention Linux, it was for geeks and weirdos then, come to think of it, it still is
Never used Linux till few years ago. At the time I wasn't using PCs. But at work we had to use it for years.
Old 19-04-2014, 17:10   #50
God Member

if you have windows 7 you can get virtual xp free from microsoft so you can run your old programs if they wont work in compatability mode

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 13:05   #51

Not with Windows 7 home. You need to have pro, ultimate or enterprise.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:54   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Not with Windows 7 home. You need to have pro, ultimate or enterprise.
lol i forgot about that i only use ultimate mainly because you can also use god mode that makes finding what you want to do a lot easier with fewer clicks

shoulda been called lazy mode

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 27-07-2014, 15:29   #53
Senior Member+

Well, I finally gave in to the inevitable a couple of weeks ago and bought a new PC with Windows 8.1. Goodbye XP, goodbye old Dell..
It's so much quicker and 8.1 is OK to use with the XP style opening. Mind you when I start going into the 8.1 menus I pull out in fear! Something to try on the cold wet days of winter.
I got the shop who sorted my old Dell problems out to build it, they cleaned up the rubbish on the Dell, transferred what I wanted onto the new one, added a few useful bits,brought it here and set it up for me. Handy if you're a numpty like me.
A couple of friends said I should go for a laptop but when I looked at theirs they were plugged into a proper keyboard and a big monitor so I didn't see the point. I like my big monitor and proper keyboard,I've got the space and I think you get 'more bangs for your buck' with a PC, no miniaturized bits involved and he spec'd it ready for an upgrade if I fancied it. My tablet gives me the portability I need, long gone are the days when I was doing Powerpoint presentations and needed a laptop, thank Heavens.
So happiness, long live 8.1!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 16:46   #54
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Well, I finally gave in to the inevitable a couple of weeks ago and bought a new PC with Windows 8.1. Goodbye XP, goodbye old Dell..
It's so much quicker and 8.1 is OK to use with the XP style opening. Mind you when I start going into the 8.1 menus I pull out in fear! Something to try on the cold wet days of winter.
I got the shop who sorted my old Dell problems out to build it, they cleaned up the rubbish on the Dell, transferred what I wanted onto the new one, added a few useful bits,brought it here and set it up for me. Handy if you're a numpty like me.
A couple of friends said I should go for a laptop but when I looked at theirs they were plugged into a proper keyboard and a big monitor so I didn't see the point. I like my big monitor and proper keyboard,I've got the space and I think you get 'more bangs for your buck' with a PC, no miniaturized bits involved and he spec'd it ready for an upgrade if I fancied it. My tablet gives me the portability I need, long gone are the days when I was doing Powerpoint presentations and needed a laptop, thank Heavens.
So happiness, long live 8.1!
Gordon, it comes to us all in the end I reckon...having to change OS gives me the heebies.
Like you I like my desk top...and will keep one for as long as i can.
it is good that you got someone in the know to set you up.
I think you have to feel the fear and do it anyway (she says as she slings onto her Windows 7 for dear life)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 23:53   #55
Senior Member+

When u get past the 'metro' start screen windows 8 is a lot like 7
Old 31-07-2014, 01:20   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
When u get past the 'metro' start screen windows 8 is a lot like 7

except for that what takes two clicks to do in win 7 takes 10 clicks in win 8

i just slapped classic start from https://ninite.com/ on win 8 and its 10x less hassle

from what iv read the next operating system from microsoft will have the start button back after all teh complaints .Not everyone has touch screen and win 8 is designed for tablets and is god awfull to use with a mouse.Just like with vista theres a lot of laptops and computers been sold that shoudlnt have win 8 on them

Old 31-07-2014, 06:06   #57
Senior Member+

Two clicks. Well you are already clicking more than i am. On 7 and 8

There is truth to what you say. But I don't click my way through the start menu. Its why I've never bothered using hack progs for win8
Old 31-07-2014, 06:16   #58
Senior Member+

I bought a new Toshiba desk top PC last year after having laptops for ages.
It is almost like a King size tablet, 23 inch flat screen, about two inch thick with remote mouse and keyboard. I hardly ever use the touch screen, it is harder work leaning forward to touch it than it is to use the mouse. Apart from the fact that the screen kept getting bits of chocolate biscuit or salt from crisps stuck to it. The good thing about a desk top PC is that if you knock your can of grog over (God forbid) it wont get ruined where as a laptop may do.
I think it's the same with every thing new that comes out, once people get used to it they forget the old stuff.
Don't forget, if Mr W.Gates and his buddies don't keep upgrading the software so folk can rush to be the first to have it how will they keep making millions of bucks.
Apple is just as bad bringing out new phones, having spending all night shivering outside the store then spending half a grand on a new one the customer gets home and can't find the difference.
Rant over, turn over and back to sleep, I only got up to go to the bathroom but couldn't resist a peep at the forum on my bedside iPad.
Old 31-07-2014, 06:41   #59
Senior Member+

Just a quick example how I use windows 8 to load programs and control panel etc. For those that have windows 8 (bear in mind it helps to be 'ok' at the keyboard)

Old 01-08-2014, 12:55   #60
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
(she says as she slings onto her Windows 7 for dear life)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Just a quick example how I use windows 8 to load programs and control panel etc. For those that have windows 8 (bear in mind it helps to be 'ok' at the keyboard)
Restless, you've really got to take something for your stomach, it sounds painfull. No nearer knowing how after watching the video and as for being 'OK' at the keyboard, I've no chance.

Margaret, I could have had Windows 7 which everyone seems to like but its mainstream support ends in January 2015, although extended support continues 'till 2020( long after I'd probably need it!). So I assume security updates at least will continue.
I asked the computer man about security on my tablet, whether I should download Avast or AVG- he said security on Android was very good and I didn't need to bother . What do our experts think, please?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..