Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2014, 07:15   #1
Senior Member+

Windows XP - will you use after April?

Microsoft officially end all support for XP from the end of April (some say from early April) I urge those who use XP to stop using it asap.XP will soon be a hackers playground.

I know there are a few people that use it and dont know of this info so thought it would be worth sharing.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:54   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Windows XP - will you use after April?

Do you think if a massive security hole was found in XP after support ended that Microsoft would ignore the fact or release a fix for it? Like any company they don't want bad publicity.

We still have quite a few PC's at work using XP. We have 3 production critical PC's running DOS still.

All office machines are Windows 7 but a few of the XP machines can access the internet
Old 02-04-2014, 12:25   #3

No need to swap out an XP machine if it's not connected to the internet at all, or its user doesn't access the web and it's behind an external (to XP) firewall.

There's still the danger from infected files being manually put on the PC, but that's an issue with all versions of Windows. XP will only become a problem in that regard when a/v vendors won't let their product run on XP.

My mother-in-law uses her machine for her writing. It's not connected to the internet and she doesn't receive files on disc from anyone (there aren't even any USB ports on it, it's that old). She's running Amipro on Windows 3.1.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 15:29   #4
Senior Member+

Re: Re: Windows XP - will you use after April?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Do you think if a massive security hole was found in XP after support ended that Microsoft would ignore the fact or release a fix for it? Like any company they don't want bad publicity.

We still have quite a few PC's at work using XP. We have 3 production critical PC's running DOS still.

All office machines are Windows 7 but a few of the XP machines can access the internet
At work they are forced to buy new PCs because of this (thankfully)

I dunno what they would do. If they said when xp was released that support would end then do they have no obligation?
Old 02-04-2014, 15:34   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

No obligation no but have a reputation to uphold. Then again not sure what sort of a reputation they have
Restless likes this.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:08   #6
Senior Member+

Re: Re: Windows XP - will you use after April?

Quote:
No obligation no but have a reputation to uphold. Then again not sure what sort of a reputation they have
Haha. Exactly.
Old 04-04-2014, 22:25   #7

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

I think Restless is urging the less savvy.

Using XP after its sell by date has expired will be like owning a classic car. It will run just fine if you know what you are doing, have an imperial spanner set, axle stands, a haynes manual and access to spares..otherwise it's just going to break down and cause you no end of problems.

Or you could just put your hand in your pocket and pay someone to keep it on the road...oh wait..you already have, you just didn't know about it

Government pays Microsoft £5.5m to extend Windows XP support - Telegraph
Old 05-04-2014, 00:59   #8
Senior Member+

Like owning a classic car and there is only a minority of people left who know how to fix it. It may run fine for a real long time on private land(offline) but the car is at risk if you take it on the road (online)

Xp was always full of holes. Remember the worm/virus that was on the news? A hell of a lot of people got that one. I remember when installing xp it was best to install avg/anti worm patch before going online or else you would instantly get it... The worm wasn't that malicious and put a message on screen about bill gates.... But it was a wake up call.... Don't use xp online. Time to upgrade
Old 05-04-2014, 07:42   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Well i aint bothering fer the time being, if n when it dies then i will consider.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:25   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
I think Restless is urging the less savvy.

Using XP after its sell by date has expired will be like owning a classic car. It will run just fine if you know what you are doing, have an imperial spanner set, axle stands, a haynes manual and access to spares..otherwise it's just going to break down and cause you no end of problems.

Or you could just put your hand in your pocket and pay someone to keep it on the road...oh wait..you already have, you just didn't know about it

Government pays Microsoft £5.5m to extend Windows XP support - Telegraph
Why will it break down?

If UK taxpayers are paying for these updates why isn't it available to all UK residents?

Last edited by Neil; 05-04-2014 at 09:28.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:54   #11

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Why will it break down?
Because it aint going to get anymore oil changes, services, or even have a fuel tank that accepts the nozzle at the pumps
Old 06-04-2014, 18:16   #12
Senior Member+

I use the free Avast and they sent me a message ' Avast will be supporting Windows XP for at least the next three years by creating protection modules and detection's specifically designed to cover Windows XP vulnerabilities and other security problems'.
Do you think that will cover me? My PC does what I need but can't handle 7 or 8 so it would mean a new one ? Besides which I know XP, I'd hate to start trying to learn 8!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 18:48   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I use the free Avast and they sent me a message ' Avast will be supporting Windows XP for at least the next three years by creating protection modules and detection's specifically designed to cover Windows XP vulnerabilities and other security problems'.
Do you think that will cover me? My PC does what I need but can't handle 7 or 8 so it would mean a new one ? Besides which I know XP, I'd hate to start trying to learn 8!
What is your PC?
I have installed Windows 7 on some quite low spec PC's before and they ran fine
Old 06-04-2014, 19:04   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
What is your PC?
I have installed Windows 7 on some quite low spec PC's before and they ran fine
It's a Dell 8300 which when I bought it in 2004 was one of their most powerful. I think it was 120 GB hard drive, 1 GB RM. Totally obsolete now( I'll bet a mobile phone has more than that) but it does what I need. I'm sure I checked with Dell and they said it couldn't handle 7 or 8 and couldn't be updated to do it .
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 22:32   #15
Senior Member+

Windows XP - will you use after April?

Dell would say that. An operating system upgrade is not in their interest, they'd much prefer you to buy a new pc. Prob need more memory and drivers may be an issue, but I bet it will run win7 ok, although some fancy stuff like aero might be disabled.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..