Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 18:24   #1
I am Banned

16 x 9 format LCD displays

Can any one tell me why if I use the wide screen format on my computers all my pictures get stretched horizontaly.
I would like to retain the 4 x 3 format but on sumat bigger than the little 17 incher I now have.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-05-2009, 19:19   #2
God Member

Re: 16 x 9 format LCD displays

I thought we had done this once.

You need to set the display properties of your graphics cards to match the native resolution of the screen that you have bought. This will be a 16:9 resolution. You do not need to run teh windows on that screen at maximised resolution if you don't want. i.e. you can run a 4:3 window in a 16;9 screen. If you try and run a 4:3 res on a 16:9 screen it will try and stretch it unless you have the option in the display to run native and to tile the screen.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 20:44   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I thought we had done this once.

You need to set the display properties of your graphics cards to match the native resolution of the screen that you have bought. This will be a 16:9 resolution. You do not need to run teh windows on that screen at maximised resolution if you don't want. i.e. you can run a 4:3 window in a 16;9 screen. If you try and run a 4:3 res on a 16:9 screen it will try and stretch it unless you have the option in the display to run native and to tile the screen.
Hi Ian
Can't remember if we have gone over this before, I only had the dammed thing a few days, I could'nt stand it, so I gave it to my daughter,

Now I'm struggling to read some of the print on this thing, I need sumat bigger.
You lost me on the above, about display properties on my graphics card etc, I thought I'd tried fiddling with settings in conrol panel/ display but nowt seemed to sort it. I'll have another fiddle on the lap top, thats got the 16x9 format, just want to see what I see now but bigger.

Retlaw.
Old 11-05-2009, 21:00   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

You need to set your video card to a suitable resolution that matches your display.

1024 by 768 is a 4 by 3 aspect ratio. 1024 / 4 * 3 = 768

1600 by 900 is a 16 by 9 aspect ratio 1600 / 16 * 9 = 900

Be careful though some PC monitors are 16 by 10 so 1440 by 900 is a 16 by 10 resolution as in 1440 / 16 *10 = 900.
Old 11-05-2009, 22:22   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You need to set your video card to a suitable resolution that matches your display.

1024 by 768 is a 4 by 3 aspect ratio. 1024 / 4 * 3 = 768

1600 by 900 is a 16 by 9 aspect ratio 1600 / 16 * 9 = 900

Be careful though some PC monitors are 16 by 10 so 1440 by 900 is a 16 by 10 resolution as in 1440 / 16 *10 = 900.
Just been messing with the settings on the laptop, whilst comparing it to the desk top on this computer screen which is 4 x 3, no way can I get it to show pictures or anything else as they should be, they are all stretched horizontaly, they just are'nt right, I want to see them as they should be, undistorted, what I need is a 20" 4 x 3 monitor. Can't find any on the web.

16 x 10 is a sight nearer to normal than 16 x 9.
Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 11-05-2009 at 22:26.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:08   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

What resolution setting do you use on your 4 x 3 monitor?
What were you using on the other one?

One way to check if the resolution is set correctly is to check if circles look round. You can even measure the width and height with a plastic ruler

Old 12-05-2009, 06:36   #7
God Member

I've found a 19" one here

HannsG HQ191D 19" 4:3 LCD TFT Monitor, Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Old 12-05-2009, 11:51   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
What resolution setting do you use on your 4 x 3 monitor?
What were you using on the other one?

One way to check if the resolution is set correctly is to check if circles look round. You can even measure the width and height with a plastic ruler

Hi Neil. the image on screen measures
5.211" wide by 5.573" high
which is only .3" out and is near enough for the human eye.
On the laptop the only settings I can find are different than the desk top, the desk top you can move the pointer from sde to side for different screen ressolutions.
The lap top its either one or the other no middle choices, and both of them leave pictures stretched horizontaly.

Retlaw
Old 12-05-2009, 12:06   #9
God Member

what make/model of laptop and what screen resolution are you using on it?

Old 12-05-2009, 12:57   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Hi Neil. the image on screen measures
5.211" wide by 5.573" high
which is only .3" out and is near enough for the human eye.
On the laptop the only settings I can find are different than the desk top, the desk top you can move the pointer from sde to side for different screen ressolutions.
The lap top its either one or the other no middle choices, and both of them leave pictures stretched horizontaly.

Retlaw
If your desktop is a CRT you can usually correct the error on the circle by adjusting the width or height to make it a perfect circle. We used to do that on the cad machines in the good old days

Sounds like a driver issue on your laptop or maybe there is a utility on the laptop you use to change it and not the normal windows one
Old 12-05-2009, 13:51   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
what make/model of laptop and what screen resolution are you using on it?
Compac Presario
there are only two settings its either 800 x 600
or 1024 x 600, on the last one things are too small for me so I have to settle for the 800 x 600, can't find any keys for altering display height or width. I have got adjustment buttons on the besk top for height, width, colours, brightness etc.

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 12-05-2009 at 13:54.
Old 12-05-2009, 14:39   #12
God Member

what model of presario, the presario name is applied to all their machines, look for a specific model number on the bottom.

those settings sound VERY strange for a 'normal' laptop. 800x600 is 4:3 resolution but if its plugged into an external monitor I'd expect it to offer you teh resolutions supported by teh screen and not what teh laptop screen supports

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..