Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/)
-   -   Unlocking Passwords. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/unlocking-passwords-54905.html)

kestrelx 17-09-2010 00:20

Unlocking Passwords.

Anyone got any experience/tips of unlocking passwords in Windows XP Professional? Software available that works or anything else of use?

Cheers :)

mattylad 17-09-2010 07:02

Re: Unlocking Passwords.

You can use a bootdisc.
Although Offline NT Password & Registry Editor tells you more.

I have used the floppy disc version of this and it worked well.

Neil 17-09-2010 07:35

Do you have the pc in front of you or is it at a remote location?
Do you have any idea what the password is, does it contain letters numbers and special characters?

kestrelx 11-10-2010 21:09

Hi Neil, thanks for the reply - only had a look at this thread today - I've no idea of any password's - I found the computer thrown over a hedge believe it or not! I still havn't managed to open the password.

Kestrel x.

Neil 11-10-2010 21:19

Seeing as its your PC you can do with it what you want. Try downloading the ophcrack live cd from this site Ophcrack I have used it to find peoples passwords when they have forgotton them and need help with their PC.

kestrelx 11-10-2010 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 851554)
Seeing as its your PC you can do with it what you want. Try downloading the ophcrack live cd from this site Ophcrack I have used it to find peoples passwords when they have forgotton them and need help with their PC.

Cheers - it's a Dell Latitude and doesn't have a CD Rom drive - it comes as an accessory - if I downloaded this Ophcrack onto a memory stick would it still run?

Neil 11-10-2010 21:29

There is a program that makes bootable USB sticks from cd ISO images but cant remember what its called and the PC I might have it on is in the boys room. I will try and find it tomorrow for you

kestrelx 11-10-2010 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 851556)
There is a program that makes bootable USB sticks from cd ISO images but cant remember what its called and the PC I might have it on is in the boys room. I will try and find it tomorrow for you

Cheers, I don't know what a cd ISO image is? I take it is something that acts like a cd Rom so the computer boots up the program on it?

cmonstanley 11-10-2010 22:05

i once took the bios battery out of the motherboard for 20 mins then put it back in and the password thingy disappeared:) dont forget to switch off and unplug and dont touch anything else;) before you do it.

mattylad 11-10-2010 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 851554)
Seeing as its your PC you can do with it what you want.

Actually it's not, its stolen property (called "theft by finding").

(And I'm not suggesting that the OP stole it lol).

How inconsiderate of the person that threw it over the hedge not to leave a DVD ROM in it. :D

Mancie 11-10-2010 23:45

Re-boot then keep pressing F8.. choose safe mode from the options.. when log in comes up try signing in as "administrator" don't enter any password and click enter...you might get lucky... if it works you can go into "users" and delete any passwords.. if this don't work whiz it back over the hedge you found it in... it may have top secrect military information on it that some government official left on a bus.

mattylad 12-10-2010 06:58

its windows - easy to bypass

Neil 12-10-2010 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 851561)
i once took the bios battery out of the motherboard for 20 mins then put it back in and the password thingy disappeared:) dont forget to switch off and unplug and dont touch anything else;) before you do it.

That is the BIOS password though not the windows password.

kestrelx 13-10-2010 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattylad (Post 851567)
Actually it's not, its stolen property (called "theft by finding").

(And I'm not suggesting that the OP stole it lol).

How inconsiderate of the person that threw it over the hedge not to leave a DVD ROM in it. :D

It's obviously a work pc - as it appears to be part of some network as has more than 2 passwords! I thought of handing it in to the cops, but I bet it would be put in storage as they wouldn't bother hacking the password, then sold off cheap at some auction! So why bother handing it in!

I already have 2 Laptops and 2 Desktop PC's - this one I found though is a very small one that can fit in a small bag, think that is very handy for carrying about in a bag! Yeh they should have made sure the computer had a external CD Drive with it. ;)

Neil 13-10-2010 09:38

Are you near Ossy, if you are you can leave it with me and I will see if I can find the password for you