Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/)
-   -   Please can someone explain raspberry pi to me? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/please-can-someone-explain-raspberry-pi-to-me-62771.html)

emamum 30-10-2012 09:04

Please can someone explain raspberry pi to me?

please, because i cant get my head round it

someones suggested it as a christmas present for ty?

flashy 30-10-2012 09:15

re: Please can someone explain raspberry pi to me?

Lol giz a clue

Gremlin 30-10-2012 10:23

3.1415926535 with raspberry on it.

Margaret Pilkington 30-10-2012 10:38

there you go.

FAQs | Raspberry Pi

It might be an idea to PM Restless...I'm sure he has one...and he seems clued up on this kind of stuff.
Hope this helps.

entwisi 30-10-2012 10:50

It's a tiny computer that runs Linux usually and was aimed at getting people back into the programming side of computers rather than being just consumers. When I was a kid I spent hours writing programs, nowadays despite it being easier due to the power etc of modern kit hardly any kids do anything productive with them

emamum 30-10-2012 11:19

thankyou :)

he wants to make games and someone told me this would be good for him to start with and learn to programme and such, do you think it would be good for him entwisi? he's 11 in a couple of weeks?

Restless 30-10-2012 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1025572)
there you go.

FAQs | Raspberry Pi

It might be an idea to PM Restless...I'm sure he has one...and he seems clued up on this kind of stuff.
Hope this helps.

Yeah I have one :) I bought it for a possible XBMC Solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum (Post 1025581)
thankyou :)

he wants to make games and someone told me this would be good for him to start with and learn to programme and such, do you think it would be good for him entwisi? he's 11 in a couple of weeks?

What level is he at? Anyway way of telling? I ain't no programmer and entwisi is miles MILES ahead of me(can better advise you of programming on the pi). But. There is a software my friend used to to make Flash games.

http://markyspark.newgrounds.com/gam...feature=movies

Take a look there. These are the product of somebody that is not a programmer.

As for the RaspberryPI. You have no chance of getting one within a couple of weeks. Unless you buy one off an ebay seller, on offchance or someone you know personally. The waiting list is a killer

Restless 30-10-2012 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum (Post 1025581)
he's 11 in a couple of weeks?

If I got this for my 11th birthday I would be over the moon. HEHEHE

Anyway,

Raspberry PI Booting/Running RaspBMC - YouTube

This is my video of it running RaspBMC ( a version of xbmc ) Skip the video to the end you will see it in its case(that you have to buy separate)

entwisi 30-10-2012 19:50

They are a superb piece of kit to learn on and the community support is awesome. I started at 11 on my zx81 with it's 1k of ram. If he is interested then you can't really do any better than one.

Programming is a wide church, from scripting in Linux to java, .net, and a million other languages. It is all good experience, as a career, then he should focus in the market to what is passing the big bucks. I'm happy at any time to talk to you/him. I an actually part of a volunteer organisation called STEM who work with schools, I'm going to St Wilfreds next Wednesday to talk to the kids about careers in IT.

Neil 31-10-2012 09:42

What are the languages to be into at the moment Ian?

Restless 31-10-2012 09:51

There is quite a lot of money in flash games these days, is there not?
I think the raspberryPI would be a great gift. as if in the end its just a pipe dream he still has a usable computer and they are pretty cool to show off. I am interested to know how good this kid is. He's got an interest in programming. Is he any good? what is his knowledge already? Ian can put him on the right track...

edit> Aint being condescending or anything. The customROM i use on my mobile phone is developed by a 14 year old. These kids are the programmers of tomorrow. They need a good start and nudge in the right direction

DtheP47 31-10-2012 13:05

Re: Please can someone explain raspberry pi to me?

emamum...Get hold of the last 3 weeks back issues of Computer Active, there have been some excellent articles on how to set it up, write a simple game programme (Snake) and build a gamepad.
:enough:

emamum 31-10-2012 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1025709)
There is quite a lot of money in flash games these days, is there not?
I think the raspberryPI would be a great gift. as if in the end its just a pipe dream he still has a usable computer and they are pretty cool to show off. I am interested to know how good this kid is. He's got an interest in programming. Is he any good? what is his knowledge already? Ian can put him on the right track...

edit> Aint being condescending or anything. The customROM i use on my mobile phone is developed by a 14 year old. These kids are the programmers of tomorrow. They need a good start and nudge in the right direction

thats exactly what i thought, all he has atm is an interest in it and needs to go a bit further to see if hes any good and actually enjoys it, if he does then he can get bigger better things, if not then nothings lost :)

Neil 31-10-2012 14:28

CPC are advertising the model B version but are awaiting delivery. I think it has more memory than the original one but not sure of other differences

Restless 31-10-2012 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpi
What’s the difference between Model A and Model B?

Model A has 256Mb RAM, one USB port and no Ethernet (network connection). Model B has 512Mb RAM, 2 USB port and an Ethernet port

I think only from a certain date they have 512mb