Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/)
-   -   Bogus Emails (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/bogus-emails-63847.html)

jaysay 23-03-2013 10:13

Bogus Emails

Just wondering if anybody has received an Email this morning or last night saying it was from Me, my other half rang me to ask why I'd sent her an Email with a link. This was news to me, but this morning when I was checking my inbox there was a few Email refusal notices for an Email sent to Burnley Web which for course no longer exists, I've just checked my sent box and apparently I've sent this to five people, looks like I've been hacked, So if anybody receives an Email from me don't open it delete it right away

JCB 23-03-2013 10:54

Re: Bogus Emails

Now you know I am hopeless with computer technology , Jaysay , but in the past I have received emails on three separate occasions from "someone I know". They have been multiple-type emails or whatever they call them , and each time after I had problems with my computer . What happens ? If you open them are you opening your computer to a virus or other such nuisances ?

flashy 23-03-2013 10:57

John, scan your computer for virus's as soon as you can, you won't have been hacked, it will be something in your computer system, its happened to me a few times

Retlaw 23-03-2013 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 1048522)
John, scan your computer for virus's as soon as you can, you won't have been hacked, it will be something in your computer system, its happened to me a few times

My daughter has had this twice, turned out it was a security problem with her providor, they had been hacked,, and she and a lot of other peoples addressed had been compromised, she changed her email account and created new passwords.

jaysay 23-03-2013 13:01

Quote:

Am about to do that Shaz cheers

jaysay 23-03-2013 13:02

I have now found out who the five people who got this Email on one from AW. sorted thanks

jaysay 23-03-2013 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 1048521)
Now you know I am hopeless with computer technology , Jaysay , but in the past I have received emails on three separate occasions from "someone I know". They have been multiple-type emails or whatever they call them , and each time after I had problems with my computer . What happens ? If you open them are you opening your computer to a virus or other such nuisances ?

Ya Colin if you open them it could open you up to some nasty little things delete is the word

jaysay 23-03-2013 13:29

Quote:

Ya there was some Malware cookies Shaz there ain't any more:D

Margaret Pilkington 23-03-2013 13:36

stopped getting those when I ditched IE.

Less 23-03-2013 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1048537)
I have now found out who the five people who got this Email on one from AW. sorted thanks

Five? I for one feel hurt, how dare your spammer be so selective?

Are the rest of us not worth a quick spam?

Or have you been keeping a secret diary saying how cheap the rest of us are?

:(

JCB 23-03-2013 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1048538)
Ya Colin if you open them it could open you up to some nasty little things delete is the word

Thanks , John .

claytonx 23-03-2013 17:50

Jaysay, if you wish to check your security on windows 8,pull the charms from the right hand side in the apps box type Control Panel when opened go for security and maintenance then check all the boxes are ticked.

Restless 23-03-2013 19:29

Oh I havent had an email either -- I feel left out hehe

Neil 23-03-2013 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1048510)
Just wondering if anybody has received an Email this morning or last night saying it was from Me, my other half rang me to ask why I'd sent her an Email with a link. This was news to me, but this morning when I was checking my inbox there was a few Email refusal notices for an Email sent to Burnley Web which for course no longer exists, I've just checked my sent box and apparently I've sent this to five people, looks like I've been hacked, So if anybody receives an Email from me don't open it delete it right away

Looks like that bullshine or whatever its called you pay for to protect you from such things is a waste of money :p

Margaret Pilkington 24-03-2013 07:53

Neil, it has to be set up right to do the job.(and you have to do the updates) A security system is only as good as the person using it, lets it be.
I have bullguard and it suits me just fine.