Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/)
-   -   iphone, ipad or ipod (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/iphone-ipad-or-ipod-65000.html)

Mick 20-09-2013 08:54

iphone, ipad or ipod

Have you one of these items and have you updated the software to os7 yet if so what do you think of this new look?:D
just updated my iphone and ipad not sure of the new look:confused:

Margaret Pilkington 20-09-2013 09:27

Re: iphone, ipad or ipod

I updated mine yesterday...and like you, I think I preferred the look of IO's6....but I will have to get used to it I suppose.

The new Icons are bigger and seem a bit garish...and the calendar has changed too...and not for the better.

According to the papers this morning it seems that some folk had problems with updating their system, I didn't have any problems with updating at all.

Neil 20-09-2013 09:43

I know a lot of people who were moaning their's were failing - what did they expect when they try and update on the day it's released and everyone else is trying. It's always safer to let the geeks try it first and do yours when you know if there are any problems with the new version.

Margaret Pilkington 20-09-2013 09:51

I did think I might do that Neil, but I guess I would have to update at some point....it is better (?) to get used to it sooner rather than later.....and I'm sure I will get used to the different look of the thing.......everything works fine, it is just the different look of the thing.

Boeing Guy 20-09-2013 19:38

Had a play with my Fathers updated iPad and iPhone4s today.
Personally iOS7 looks like a bad copy of Android.

Ironically, I just got a Galaxy S4, updated to the latest version of Jelly Bean. Smooth, stylish and fast. My dad is now looking at Samsung.

DtheP47 26-09-2013 01:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1076268)
I know a lot of people who were moaning their's were failing - what did they expect when they try and update on the day it's released and everyone else is trying. It's always safer to let the geeks try it first and do yours when you know if there are any problems with the new version.

Our corporate techie guys just issued this:
Last Wednesday Apple released a major iOS update for the iPhone, iPad and iPod family of devices. At that time InfoSystems advised all employeesto refrain from updating until InfoSystems tests for compatibility with Systems such as Microsoft Office specifically, email and calendar functions. We are pleased to announce that we have found no incompatibilities and consider it safe to perform the update.

We highly recommend that you perform a complete system backup of your device before you begin the iOS update process. We have attached a document to this notification with instructions on how to perform a complete device backup using the iTunes application.

The watchword is I guess backup Interestingly after years of trying to foist "crackberries" on us there has been a slow drift away from em' This side of the Atlantic preferring the Nokia Lumia range and the Home of the Brave going for Mr Job's small shiny objects of desire.

DtheP47 26-09-2013 01:27

Mind you that Steve Job's has a lot to answer for !

Syrian Rebels Aim Mortars With The Help Of iPads

Neil 26-09-2013 09:17

Some apple users are reporting sickness and dizziness using their iphones and ipads since they upgraded to ios7. A couple of links here talking about it

IOS7 Motion Sickness: Users Complain Of Motion Sickness While Using Updated IPhones And IPads

iPhone and iPad users report severe motion sickness while using iOS 7 | The Verge

Typical of apple to not allow users to chose if they want to turn the graphics options on or off.
and just decide for you that you will have it on

Neil 26-09-2013 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1077018)
Mind you that Steve Job's has a lot to answer for !

Syrian Rebels Aim Mortars With The Help Of iPads

Laughing at the article quoting the itunes licence that they are in breach of using it in that way. I wonder if apple will have instructed their legal team to blame Samsung for the breach :D

Gremlin 26-09-2013 10:15

I updated both my iPhone and iPad and they didn't seem much different.
The one thing I had to sort out was the Bluetooth connection to my car's built in phone system.
I looked at the support forum and a lot of other users had the same problem.
Eventually after deleting the phone from the car and visa versa and let it do a new search all was working again.

Restless 26-09-2013 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boeing Guy (Post 1076368)
Had a play with my Fathers updated iPad and iPhone4s today.
Personally iOS7 looks like a bad copy of Android.

Lots of people have said the same thing, that Apple stolen all the ideas that has made Android popular.

Ever heard an Apple nerd say " Android is buggy " and then tell you they had a Samsung Galaxy Ace? That's a conversation killer for me and sadly I have had that told to me by two separate apple users. Galaxy Ace is still on Gingerbread and funny how it turns out to be quite a popular phone. I imagine Gingerbread is the the equivalent of IOS4 or something (iphone3?) Install IOS4 on your iPhone and see how far you get installing apps. Oh yeah. More apps will work on that Galaxy Ace than they will on Iphone3(Apple purposefully date the phones so you have no choice to upgrade hardly any apps will work) Buggy? Yes. The Galaxy Ace- Its a crap phone, crap specs and dated version of Android.... But go back to when it was Gingerbread VS the current IOS version of the time and you will find Android still wins.

Oh Mr or Mrs Apple user... Don't get upset-- Of course my opinions are 100% biased

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boeing Guy (Post 1076368)
Ironically, I just got a Galaxy S4, updated to the latest version of Jelly Bean. Smooth, stylish and fast. My dad is now looking at Samsung.

I also have just got a Galaxy S4 :D

What do you make of the features? They are a bit gimmicky for me. For example. Since ICS- I like holding power and vol down to get a screenshot rather than the side my hand swiping the screen....ooops I mean sensor.

I am not that into the moving of head to scroll pages. These features are innovative and impressive. But. Not needed for myself. So within a couple of days I installed carbonROM. Damn. The best battery life I have witnessed so far from an Android phone. Installing a customROM that is not stock based you lose most the Samsung hardware features, I know what I like and how I like to use my phone. Samsungs stuff is a distraction.... but I can't stand their launcher (touchwiz)...

Excellent phone either way. Love it! Tried the IR Blaster yet? I turned off my mates TV whilst they were watching football :D

Boeing Guy 26-09-2013 10:52

i must say, i have not tried everything yet, the IR blaster is great though, Mrs BG is properly narked off with that lol.
Some of the new stuff seems to be trying to please the apple fan boy. Gimmicks have their uses but I am debating installing customROM, seeing you get great battery life, I will give it a whirl.

I had lunch with a good friend the other day, he was having trouble with his iPhone 4s mail settings, I had a look at it, we could not get it working, he nearly chocked when I asked where the BACK button was.....

Its a great improvement on the G3, just when I thought Samsung could not get any better and best of all it just works.

MargaretR 26-09-2013 12:16

Just read this thread - you might as well be talking double dutch to me - I don't have a mobile now - I am very rarely mobile, and when I am I am accompanied by my son who has one.

There have been so very many advances since I owned a 'half brick' Nokia, that I doubt I could ever catch up. Still, I am consoled that I am not microwaving my brain :D

Restless 26-09-2013 15:38

Some translation

IR Blaster: It has the Infa Red thingymabob so you can download a program that controls your TV, DVD etc. Unlike £1 remote controls and other cheap universal remotes this actually works.

customROM. It is alternate build of the operating system that is on the phone.

Manufactures like Samsung etc. They take the Android operating system and alter it to suit them. A really good example of a particular atrocity would be the Kindle fire HD. Its disgusting what amazon have done.

Bloatware
In this case with our S4. Samsung preload the rom with loads of apps that you probably will never use or never actually need and without rooting(a means to access system files which can break your phone if you dont know what you are doing) you cannot remove them. They call this Bloatware. The phone is around 16GB. After installation of their software/android. There is around 9GB or something. Which is horrendous. Around 7GB for Android? CarbonROM, the customROM I use is 155MB

So 1GB = 1024MB

Very bloated.

Neil 26-09-2013 16:15

Why did you choose CarbonROM over the many others? I am thinking about trying one on my S3