Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/)
-   -   Free upgrade to Windows 10 (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/free-upgrade-to-windows-10-a-67200.html)

gpick24 25-03-2015 10:43

Free upgrade to Windows 10

Microsoft are offering a free upgrade to Windows 10 from W7 & W8, even if you are using a pirated copy (you naughty people). Available for 12 months from it`s release, I`ve been able to avoid W8 but I might give it a go seen as it`s free.

"Free Upgrade Offer*
Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year! And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge. Sign up with your email today, and we will send you more information about Windows 10 and the upgrade offer in the coming months"
Windows 10 - Microsoft Windows

Margaret Pilkington 25-03-2015 14:59

Re: Free upgrade to Windows 10

Oh, I don't know.(said in a resigned sort of voice) I like windows 7.......I hated Vista, was a bit chary of Windows 8 and in the end bought a newer laptop with Windows 7 on it because I knew I could get along with that very nicely.
I might wait until I see how the people who seem to understand this stuff, post their ideas on the newer OS....though I do know that everyone will have a different idea of the new OS depending on their personal needs.
I think I would need to see it in operation to decide.

Restless 25-03-2015 16:59

Windows 10 they are going back to the startmenu with features from the horrible "8 screen" thrown in. Windows8 is a great OS IMHO. Once you get past the horrible start screen... installing classic shell can help

Margaret Pilkington 25-03-2015 17:05

It really was the start up menu which put me off. I don't want it to be assumed that I want Facebook, twitter and all those kind of sites on my computer......just seeing the logo's of these sites puts my hackles up (yes, i know I am a sad old baggage).
And I know there are probably options to change it...but 7 works for me.

Restless 25-03-2015 18:08

I don't recall seeing Facebook or Twitter logos on windows 8 or are you talking about Windows8 RT/Mobile versions?

Gordon Booth 25-03-2015 18:29

When my old PC wouldn't update from the dying XP I went for Windows 8 on the new one. I asked them to put the classic shell on it for me and I didn't have any real problems adjusting to it.

Mind you I don't delve very deeply into it, I can get in enough mess without that.

Would't it be wise to leave updating to 10 for a few months after intro to see what bugs they find? There often seem to be problems with these new systems?

gpick24 25-03-2015 18:32

Free upgrade to Windows 10

I always have dual boot on my computers so will just update one to have a play.

Margaret Pilkington 25-03-2015 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1137026)
I don't recall seeing Facebook or Twitter logos on windows 8 or are you talking about Windows8 RT/Mobile versions?

I couldn't tell you Rob......when I was looking for a newer laptop, I was shown some products and they definitely had the logos on them....now whether this was done by the sales staff to make them more appealing to buyers I don't know.....but it put me off.

Margaret Pilkington 25-03-2015 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1137032)

Please give us an update on what you think of it.
I did toy with the idea of perhaps(only perhaps) putting it on the laptop....as the laptop is just a standby machine...not used as much as the desktop.......which I use extensively for lots and lots of things.

I used to embrace change, but now it just unsettles me and makes me twitchy(anxious even...though I hate to admit it)...must be an age thing :D

Restless 25-03-2015 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1137032)

still not mastered dual boot on my gaming pc. No idea why I cannot get past the secureboot uefi nonsense.

gpick24 25-03-2015 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1137034)
Please give us an update on what you think of it.

Not out yet, just giving a heads to those who might be interested.

Gremlin 25-03-2015 18:53

I have Acronis disk image software and if Win10 is not what I wanted I will just run the Acronis and go back to Win 8..
I don't know when Win 10 is due out but the email I received after I registered for it says I will get continued support.

gpick24 25-03-2015 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1137035)
still not mastered dual boot on my gaming pc. No idea why I cannot get past the secureboot uefi nonsense.

Create a separate partition, boot from install disk and set it to install to new partition. Used to be a bit fiddly pre vista or xp (can't remember which) but all automated nowadays.

gpick24 25-03-2015 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1137037)
I have Acronis disk image software and if Win10 is not what I wanted I will just run the Acronis and go back to Win 8..
I don't know when Win 10 is due out but the email I received after I registered for it says I will get continued support.

Out in the summer, there is a preview release available

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/preview-iso

maxthecollie 25-03-2015 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1137036)
Not out yet, just giving a heads to those who might be interested.

Good idea Margaret.We need a guinea pig.