Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/)
-   -   If you have an android phone, read this... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f83/if-you-have-an-android-phone-read-this-67531.html)

Studio25 06-08-2015 13:23

If you have an android phone, read this...

A vulnerability has been detected in Android which can result in a compromise of your contact data. It works through your phone's automatic retrieval of MMS messages.

What you need to do:

On the lookout blog there's a link to their Stagefright detector at the play store. Install it, run it, and it will tell you if your handset is vulnerable. If so, it offers links with help on how to turn off automatic MMS retrieval in Hangouts and the stock messaging app.

Here's the thing - there are conflicting reports on the extent and nature of the problem. On this page it says that Google thinks it only affects devices up to and including Android 4.0 and that 90% of devices are "protected" - well I just checked my phone and the app tells me the handset is vulnerable (I'm on 4.2.2).

So I'm in the dark - if anyone has more info then by all means add it to the thread, but in the meantime, be cautious of MMS messages from unknown sources.

accyman 22-08-2015 15:54

Re: If you have an android phone, read this...

most folks contacts lists get handed over the second they install a free app that has that it is allowed to do so as a condition of installing it

i find it appalling that other people such as friends and family can agree to hand over your email , phone and address details even pictures of you without your permission just so they can play flappy bird or somat

but society has been trained that we dont need privacy so folk dont care

accyman 22-08-2015 15:58

yeah i know how tinfoil hat my previous posts sounds but some of us that arnt as old as you would think do remember a time when a personal computer was just that..PERSONAL and personal details were also PERSONAL

wont be long before the word personal ceases to exist lol

Restless 22-08-2015 16:32

Stagefright was patched straight away by the euphoria rom devs

Studio25 23-08-2015 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1148487)
Stagefright was patched straight away by the euphoria rom devs

I should really get around to replacing the ROM on my phone. I'm well out of contract now, even if I bricked it it would be an excuse for a new handset. I still remember the feeling of putting Cyanogenmod on my last phone after 18 months of dealing with bad memory management and a slow interface. It was like getting an upgrade without paying a penny.

Restless 30-08-2015 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studio25 (Post 1148531)
I should really get around to replacing the ROM on my phone. I'm well out of contract now, even if I bricked it it would be an excuse for a new handset. I still remember the feeling of putting Cyanogenmod on my last phone after 18 months of dealing with bad memory management and a slow interface. It was like getting an upgrade without paying a penny.

Definitely. Custom rom is the way to go. What phone do you have? I have nexus 6 and I still rock the custom roms. Love the customisation it brings.

Studio25 30-08-2015 18:15

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1148895)
Definitely. Custom rom is the way to go. What phone do you have? I have nexus 6 and I still rock the custom roms. Love the customisation it brings.

Samsung Galaxy S4.

Out of the box, it has all sorts of neat features which were supposed to revolutionise the way I used it, so I was waiting for a ROM which duplicated those features. Turns out it was a waste of time. I still only use it for texting, ringing people and taking photos.

Speaking of which...

Restless 01-09-2015 12:23

oh fantastic photo!! karma awarded :D

Do you look on XDA for the roms? Also have you looked into rooting and using Xposed framework instead?

Studio25 02-09-2015 16:34

:) Thanks for that - I could go "karma fishing" with the pic I just got of a toad's eye (also on the deck, the dogs weren't impressed). I may just bung it on the today's photos thread though to see if I can upset any of the girls. :D

I've been a bit concerned about flashing the handset just yet. I'm on a job hunt and could face problems if I brick the phone and can't be reached. It's always a risk, but more so with the Samsung as it has measures to scupper installing untested software in an attempt to make it the corporate choice for employee mobiles. The only thing it's done for me in the last couple of years is throw the occasional error message stating that an application has been stopped due to trying to access the system area (and not actually stopping the app anyway).

Xposed framework is a new one on me. Will google it, it's not something that was around the last time I installed a ROM.