Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-06-2009, 22:22   #1

Talking a bit stuck..

does anybody know the best way to convert from vga to phono.?

was thinking of getting a graphics card with built in output but ive heard the quality is poor . what do you rekon?
sausage butty is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-06-2009, 01:53   #2
God Member

Re: a bit stuck..

if your after playing movies etc from pc to tv then heres a good way

for £15 get a xbox 1

get a solderless modchip £12

install xbox media center

network it to your pc

play almost any video and music file from your pc over the network to your tv in brilliant quality

all less than teh price of a new graphics card and you get a superb media center that also plays games

i stream movies , music,tv shows the lot over my network to my tv downstairs and have another xbox 1 hooked up to teh network in my kids room al capable of browsing and playing media on my pc

pc to xbox is wireless then harwire my router to my xbox1

or spend a lot more on a ps3 or xbox 360 and just stick your media files onto a usb stick

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 19-06-2009 at 02:00.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 06:48   #3
God Member

most LCD TVs have VGA input anyway so why not just use that?

I'm guessing your original Q was more how do I convert the output from my PC to composite video over a phono lead. TBH it depends on what you want to do, if its playing films etc then they are OK, to try and use it as a monitor then forget it, the quality and resolution is rubbish.

Accyman is spot on that Xbox1's make excellent media centres.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 15:36   #4

thankyou for your replies

i only need this as the video input from the pc will be goin on to a video multiplexer along side cctv images, so that on the various screens around the building it will show an advert for five seconds , cctv for 5 seconds....the multiplexer only accepts phono inputs .the cctv bits sorted i just need to put the advert on the screen . i suppose i could do a powerpoint and burn it on to a vcd then play it through a cheap asda dvd player? but prefferably it would be connected to a pc so things can be edited easily and instantly.
Old 19-06-2009, 18:11   #5

CPC do one for about £33

GRANDTEC|HAND VIEW III|VGA TO TV, GRAND HAND VIEW III | CPC
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 18:32   #6

Talking Re: a bit stuck..

cheers
Old 20-06-2009, 18:06   #7
Senior Member+

accyman. How do you have your original XBOX via wireless??? I bought an old wirless thing for xbox and they sent me american adapter for it. I tried a converter and a strange smell came out of the adapter and it only lit up for a few seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
if your after playing movies etc from pc to tv then heres a good way

for £15 get a xbox 1

get a solderless modchip £12

install xbox media center

network it to your pc

play almost any video and music file from your pc over the network to your tv in brilliant quality

all less than teh price of a new graphics card and you get a superb media center that also plays games

i stream movies , music,tv shows the lot over my network to my tv downstairs and have another xbox 1 hooked up to teh network in my kids room al capable of browsing and playing media on my pc

pc to xbox is wireless then harwire my router to my xbox1

or spend a lot more on a ps3 or xbox 360 and just stick your media files onto a usb stick
Old 21-06-2009, 14:52   #8

"pc to xbox is wireless then hardwire my router to my xbox1 "

sounds like the xbox is hardwired and the pc is wireless , would make sense.
or you can get this " USRobotics Wireless Gaming Adapter & EN Bridge 5430 Network adapter - Fast EN"
Old 21-06-2009, 14:57   #9
Senior Member+

Cant wire my Xbox to the router cause the sockets are busted apart from the ones understairs.. BT said they want £200 to fix them????

think i will try the wireless device thanks
Old 21-06-2009, 19:30   #10

im a bit confused are you talking about your phone sockets?

if so i can fix it for a tenner each .including parts.
Old 21-06-2009, 22:16   #11
Senior Member+

Im not sure whats wrong with them. I have a socket in the front room, Front bedroom. Backroom and understairs. Only one that is working is the one under the stairs. Bt told me to get a electrican and quoted me £200-£300 to fix them.

My friend is going to see if he can get an adapter for my Xbox wirelessadapter
Old 22-06-2009, 17:14   #12

if you get stuck give me a tinckle i am an electrician and also live in clayton. plus my mates a bt engineer so i can get free sockets :-)
Old 22-06-2009, 17:46   #13
Senior Member+

cool thanks! No £'s at the moment but will look u up thanks

as far as my xbox wireless adapter. I am getting an adapter for it tomorrow so will give the streaming a go!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..