Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 14:08   #1
Senior Member+

Android Apps?

Im on my second android phone now since I dropped my HTC Sensation and the LCD from inside broke. It was too costly to fix and so I took a low tarrif contract out on this--

Sony Ericsson Xperia ray - Full phone specifications

I really missed my android phone. Its good to have it back!!

So. Does anyone have an android phone and any good apps to recommend?
Old 08-04-2012, 16:47   #2
God Member

Re: Android Apps?

Best browser, dolphin HD
Best messaging, handscent

Others, I have a couple of tweaked apps, a YouTube downloader, Skygo,

Sky +, iplayer, itvplayer, film on TV , Es file explorer, n7 player (beta currently), QR Droid, Barclays pingit :-), Flickr, BBC news, wattpad, kobo,

That's a good start, more later if you like.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 00:13   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Overlook Fing is a great network scanning tool if you want to see what connected to you home network, or any wifi network you are on at the time.

I use VNC viewer occasionally

I use Syncness to backup my photos and a few other folders to my network drive automatically.

CamScanner is very useful, it uses your camera to turn a document into a pdf, does multi page as well.

Ringdroid lets you select a chunk out of a music file and use it as a ring/text tone

I like tunein radio for internet radio.

I have an app that plays video files from my phone to my TV but can't remember what its called, just looked and it could be 1 of 3

I like Touchdown for my email, works with exchange servers but I use it for push windows live email, its a bit expensive as far as android apps go but it is the best I tried.

I use Handcent as well for texts but use the twitter app by twitter anb the facebook app and facebook messenger app by facebook. The Facebook messenger app is very good. Gives you push notifications of new messages and all you messages are stored in facebook still.

Audiomanager lets me set audio profiles for home, work, quiet, silent etc

I think one of my favourite apps is tasker, it lets you write your own automation tasks. I wrote ones to turn off wifi when connected to my car kit to save battery and turn off bluetooth when connected to my home wifi. You can make it do all sorts of simple or complicated things. You can write tasks based on gps location or which wifi you are connected to or by time of day. Rhonda's phone puts itself on quiet at night and back to normal volumes in the morning. My eldest sons phone has task to switch itself to silent at school time to stop him getting in trouble.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:29   #4
God Member

As a tangent, has anyone else tried BlueStacks ?

Run Android on Windows with BlueStacks :: Android on PC :: Android Player for Windows | BlueStacks

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 13:15   #5
Senior Member+

hmm U can run android somehow in virtualbox/VMware ?
Old 09-04-2012, 13:16   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

What android apps would you want to run on your pc?
Old 09-04-2012, 13:38   #7
Senior Member+

Games I suppose. There is a few music based apps that are pretty good
Old 10-04-2012, 10:45   #8

Lookout - great for when you lose your phone, but also makes a backup regularly, and scans for malicious software.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..