Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2006, 18:24   #1
I am Banned

Lightbulb Best Browser

After all the probs ive had with IE i've ditched them, but been playing around with others to test out. Ive been really pleased with firefox & been using that for months now, then ive changed ISP to bt & btyahoo have their own browser again tabbed style, - handy you can have all your stuff seperatly in tabs to load up like homepage, webmail & accyweb say, but prefer firefox on the whole, & now ive downloaded Opera 9 which im testing out now for a bit, seems quite faster on loading up than firefox..... strong comp for firefox i wonder????

All these browsers im going to have to choose between them to save my hardrive space LOL, can i remove IE completely now i have alternatives or is it best to keep it as same with btyahoo which was downloaded as part of installation for router????? Tother 2 i know i can simply uninstall.

Whats your favourite browser you've used?
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-08-2006, 06:29   #2
God Member

Re: Best Browser

Personally I tend to use Opera for everything nowadays, even at work. There is just one application we support at work that absolutely must use IE but other than that Opera all the way. Its tremendously configurable when you start fiddling and teh speech engine is absolutely superb.( I have access to a site that stores technical manuals and I can be working on one thing whilst Opera is reading the manuals to me. ) As you say mel its quick as well although fastest browser I've ever used is a lightweight one called dillo, it absolutely flew but didn't support soem features that made it OK for most pages but didn't liek others. It was only in Alpha so I keep an eye open for when its hits beta testing.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 11:22   #3
I am Banned

Im still using it hehehehehe & actually removed firefox - so quite impressed with it already & i haven't played it with proper yet looking forward to testing out its features, be so strange for my computer to actually talk to me pmsl!! Im more impressed with its quick running on loading pages - plus if you close tabs down accidently or shutdown pc - it actually brings up the last things/tabs you was working on

Cant remove btyahoo browser in add/remove as it all comes as a collective package when installing router.
Old 15-08-2006, 11:39   #4

FF is my favourite, I tried Opera but still prefer FF.

Had a look back at IE the other day and wondered how I managed to use it for so long
Old 15-08-2006, 11:51   #5
I am Banned

Its been a year when i last opened IE & godknows why i didnt find another browser sooner then found FF but i prefer Opera now but FF will take next presidence.

Just been playing with Opera OMG i found a toy to play with, hehehehehehe that voice feature is funny [yeh small minds an all that hehehe] im corrupting my pc as it speaks hehehehehe
Old 15-08-2006, 12:56   #6
God Member

I prefer ff to opera. MEL I wouldn't try to remove IE, just forget it and delete the icons if you don't want to use it. But a lot of sites won't work on ff or opera, including bank and credit card sites, a few map sites, sections of government and council sites, some forums.
Don't know if it's true but been told removing ie can stuff up the pc, cos other things use it.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 14:57   #7
God Member

[QUOTE=Madhatter But a lot of sites won't work on ff or opera, including bank and credit card sites, a few map sites, sections of government and council sites, some forums.
Don't know if it's true but been told removing ie can stuff up the pc, cos other things use it.[/QUOTE]

I'd love to see justification for these comments MH, Barclays, HSBC, Co-OP, Nat West all work wonderfully in FF/Opera that I know of, I have NEVER found a forum that doesn't work, neither have I any probs with Mappy, Multimap, streetmap or googlemaps.

As for removing IE from Windows, it is possible but is a bit more involved than most people would feel comfortable with

Old 15-08-2006, 17:04   #8
God Member

I think you'll find that hsbc does not, mbna does not, and egg does not, unless it's been changed. I went on to a Warks County council site yesterday and tried to look at a location map on the road works pages, only IE was supported on that map site. Eblah forums act strange in ff, the scroll function soesn't work correctly in the message writing space, if the text you write is more than the window you have to use the side slider instead of the wheel. Plus theres other niggles, they work but do so in a strange way.
I don't know how the new ie compares to ff but I couldn't go back to the lod ie as a browser, I've put up with it for two months on the faulty cpc computer and its drove me mad.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 19:42   #9
God Member

I have a friend who uses FF on HSBC, Have you tried making it identify as IE? Some sites (wrongly) check what browser an do funny stuff when actually there is no reason to mess about at all.

As for slider/wheel, thats a config issue of your PC, not of the browser.

Please make sure you are 'blaming' the right thing. IE 7 is trying to catch up, why not try it, its available for public download? I have actually found Microsoft sites that don't work properly in IE7. Perhaps they stick to teh rules more

Old 03-10-2006, 17:32   #10

Any of you tried the IE 7.0 Release candidate 1? Just installed it and seems to be an improvement over the earlier versions. Been messing with browsers for a while and have used the BT Yahoo browser on ad off since I started with them. Out of all of them (except Opera which I haven't tried), the BT browser worked the best. Firefox was good until it erased all my passwords and bookmarks for some silly reason.

If you do want to try the new IE release, beware that it isn't the full version yet. Find it at...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx
Old 03-10-2006, 19:43   #11
Resident Waffler

I've never had any problems doing my online banking with FF.

What other browsers does anyone use?
I've used Maxthon sometimes just for variety.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 20:07   #12
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I use firefox, and do my banking through abbey, it always tells me at log on that by not using IE my connection will be insecure, (yeah right, and IE is the fort knox of browsers), it then allows me to go to the log on page with no problem. Then when I'm leaving it always gives the 'you are about to leave a secure site message', so I think the warning is out of date or they are talking out their bum.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 21:33   #13
God Member

Well I Just Downloaded Firefox Today So Will See How It Goes
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 00:29   #14
God Member

Depends on the mood I am in. Have Opera 9, IE 7, Netscape 8, Firefox and plain old Mozilla.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..