Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2008, 16:54   #1

big virus coming

Hi All, I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus!
I checked Snopes (URL above, and it is for real!! Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP. PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!
You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any
message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK,' regardless
of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which
'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer. This virus will be received
from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is
the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts It is
better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately.

This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by
Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This
virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital
information is kept.
COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS. REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US.

Snopes lists all the names it could come in
pam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-07-2008, 16:57   #2
Senior Member+

Re: big virus coming

kind of true....actually check on snopes' site...snopes.com: 'Postcard from a Family Member' virus

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 17:07   #3
Junior Member+

The Truth
This particular email is a hoax---although there has been a real "Postcard" virus.

The hoax has circulated continuously on the Internet since at least 2001.

There is no known virus called "A card for you" or "A virtual card for you."

In July, 2007, someone added "Postcard" to the story and said that it had been verified as a true virus.

Note: It is true that there was a virus that appeared in the summer of 2007 with a subject line of: "You've received a postcard from a family member." There were several other variations of the subject line that talked about a "card" or a "greeting card." But that virus had nothing to do with this false warning about "A card for you" or "A virtual card for you" and the warning that CNN had termed it the worst virus ever.

Microsoft, Norton, or McAfee have had nothing to say about it except that it is a hoax.

The CNN part of the eRumor was added by someone along the way.

In June, 2008, someone added that the message in the virus was
"POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK," which is also untrue.

From TruthOrFiction.com Email Alerts

Last edited by Quality; 23-07-2008 at 17:10. Reason: Added last line
Quality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 17:15   #4
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quality View Post
The Truth
This particular email is a hoax---although there has been a real "Postcard" virus.

The hoax has circulated continuously on the Internet since at least 2001.

There is no known virus called "A card for you" or "A virtual card for you."

In July, 2007, someone added "Postcard" to the story and said that it had been verified as a true virus.

Note: It is true that there was a virus that appeared in the summer of 2007 with a subject line of: "You've received a postcard from a family member." There were several other variations of the subject line that talked about a "card" or a "greeting card." But that virus had nothing to do with this false warning about "A card for you" or "A virtual card for you" and the warning that CNN had termed it the worst virus ever.

Microsoft, Norton, or McAfee have had nothing to say about it except that it is a hoax.

The CNN part of the eRumor was added by someone along the way.

In June, 2008, someone added that the message in the virus was
"POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK," which is also untrue.

From TruthOrFiction.com Email Alerts
its true read it for your self
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 17:34   #5
Junior Member+

Here you are

"A Card for You", "Virtual Card For You", or "Postcard" Virus Warning or hoax-Fiction! & Truth!
Quality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 17:41   #6
Senior Member+

like i said..... kinda true lol

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 17:47   #7

Will keep my eyes peeled for any dodgy looking mail just to be safe
Old 23-07-2008, 19:09   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: big virus coming

I have long been in to the habit of not accepting any greetings card email – EVER! For as long as I can remember greetings cards have been the major vehicle for spreading viruses.

One of the most recent nasties is Trojan-Downloader.JavaScript.Agent.bpl and you pick it up at infected web sites. You can read more abut it here - http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/trojan-downloader_js_agent_d.shtml

For years rumours have gone around of how you can get a virus just by downloading an email. Most experts have dismissed that suggestion saying that it is not possible and it wasn’t UNTIL NOW!

I and many other people got an email allegedly coming from E-Gold with “Notification of e-gold account update” as the Subject.

The email reads:
“** e-gold Account Information Update Notice **

Dear e-gold account holder,

Due to concerns, for the safety and integrity of your account we have issued this warning message.

It has come to our attention that you are involved with High Yield Investment Program (HYIP) industry. Therefore, you will have to agree with new Account User Agreement modifications, if you want to continue using our service.

Once you have reviewed and agreed with these modifications your e-gold account service will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Failure to accept a new agreement may lead to account suspension.

Please use a particular link below to login to your account.

https://www.e-gold.com/acct/login.html

then update your Birth Date Proceed to an agreement review page

Thank you in advance for your prompt response.
---------------------------------------------
Please do not reply to this automatically generated email message.”

It does not have a visible attachment, yet my ZoneAlarm Suite reacts to it to inform me that it has found a virus (Trojan-Spy.HTML.Fraud.gen) simply by me reading the email.

Before anyone asks it is definitely the email that is causing the virus alert. I have closed every window except Outlook Express and even disconnected from the Internet and when I click on the email to read it, within a few seconds ZA pops up with the alert and to inform me that the virus has been quarantined.

So BEWARE!

Whether you have an account with E-Gold or not remember that E-Gold does not send out that sort of email so it has to be fake.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..