Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-2013, 08:55   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Bogus Emails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Five? I for one feel hurt, how dare your spammer be so selective?

Are the rest of us not worth a quick spam?

Or have you been keeping a secret diary saying how cheap the rest of us are?

Oh come on Less, they can tell what I think about you lot by logging on here occasionally
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-03-2013, 08:58   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Neil, it has to be set up right to do the job.(and you have to do the updates) A security system is only as good as the person using it, lets it be.
I have bullguard and it suits me just fine.
First time I've had any trouble with mine, could be something to do with W8 am checking
Old 24-03-2013, 09:47   #18
Beacon of light

Mine scans my system every morning, it scans incoming e-mails...updates regularly and I have never had a problem with mine either John...in fact if I have been under threat, the system has warned me and sorted it.
It is certainly better than anything else I have had and it doesn't slow the machine down.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 09:53   #19
Senior Member+

Are you using the free McAfee with your infinity,John. Touch Wood I have not sent any spam as far as I am aware
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 10:06   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Mine scans my system every morning, it scans incoming e-mails...updates regularly and I have never had a problem with mine either John...in fact if I have been under threat, the system has warned me and sorted it.
It is certainly better than anything else I have had and it doesn't slow the machine down.
Same here Margaret I once logged on the Burnley Website Bullguard gave me a dangerous wedsite don't enter
Old 24-03-2013, 10:07   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Are you using the free McAfee with your infinity,John. Touch Wood I have not sent any spam as far as I am aware
Wouldn't have Mcafee free Frank, sacked them years ago
Old 24-03-2013, 10:08   #22
Senior Member+

It works ok with me
Old 24-03-2013, 10:11   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
It works ok with me
It did with me at first, then bang new computer, doesn't get a good press with internet users
Old 24-03-2013, 10:13   #24
Senior Member+

My new pc 1 month old would not boot up yesterday at all. Rang HP Tech Guys and apparantley it was an IE8 update that caused the problem.With their help I did a ull rcovery. I'm not that keen on IE8
Old 24-03-2013, 12:19   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I have never paid fer any of that protection rubbish, always used free uns recommended by friends etc, n after 9/10 yrs i certainly aint gonna invest in the crap now.
Old 24-03-2013, 12:41   #26
Beacon of light

On a strong recommendation from soe of the folks on here I ditched IE....have never looked back....and have never had the same kind of security issues either.
Firefox for me...but it is individual choice...as in life.
Cashy, I got badly burnt with a free anti virus system....and it cost me to get my computer fixed...it ruined my trust in the free ones.......I did have Norton...for about 5 minutes.......that was not for me.
I'm happy with what I have got...and that is what it is all about.
Old 24-03-2013, 12:55   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
On a strong recommendation from soe of the folks on here I ditched IE....have never looked back....and have never had the same kind of security issues either.
Firefox for me...but it is individual choice...as in life.
Cashy, I got badly burnt with a free anti virus system....and it cost me to get my computer fixed...it ruined my trust in the free ones.......I did have Norton...for about 5 minutes.......that was not for me.
I'm happy with what I have got...and that is what it is all about.
Have no idea how these things work Margaret, But was yer trouble wi the free when yeh were using I.E.? Reason i ask that is fact i had no end of trouble when i used it, Switched to firefox many yrs ago n things are fine.
Old 24-03-2013, 13:27   #28
God Member

I suspect that Microsoft updates sometimes sabotages Firefox.

I sometimes have had to use system restore to get rid of those updates until Firefox overcomes the sabotage with an update of their own.

I am not very computer savvy - I may be wrong but am just speaking from experience.

I now only download Microsoft updates when I want to.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 14:03   #29
Beacon of light

Yes it was Cashy...so you may have something there...but when trust is lost...it is gone.
I trust what I am using...though I do realise it is like everything in life...it only works if you do(you have to set it up right and make sure you do the updates and scan your system at regular intervals - and make sure you have your back-up up to date).

Margaret, the windows updates ...they do not seem to affect firefox for me...but I could not begin to tell you why that is...I couldn't even hazard a guess.
Old 24-03-2013, 16:00   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Jaysay, if you wish to check your security on windows 8,pull the charms from the right hand side in the apps box type Control Panel when opened go for security and maintenance then check all the boxes are ticked.
How do I do that, please Clayton? ( in simple English as Iėm one of those who just pretends to know what she is doing!!
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..