Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 07:33   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: BT Broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
thanks Entwisi.. yep tried that .. even unplugged the phone and just left the modem lead to the hub .. still same results.. thanks for you time and input.. maybe I'll leave it for now and get back to you.. thanks again all

Take the front off your master socket, behind the front is another socket, that is your main line connection point. Plug your filter into it and your modem/router/hub into the filter and see what you get. That way you are removing all your internal wiring and are straight on the BT line.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:50   #17
Resting in Peace

I've been with BT for two years now never had any problems and its fast enough for me, its better than AOL and Wanado or what ever its called now, especially price wise
Old 03-02-2009, 10:52   #18
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: BT Broadband

Sadly entwisi, with BT it is not possible.

When I tried a message popped up informing me that I cannot link from one web space to the others. But that was over a year ago so things may be different today.
Old 03-02-2009, 13:24   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemicalyinbalanced View Post
All isp's do what they call a 10 day stabalisation period, basically means your connection will be crap for that period...
I've got virgin at home, BT at the shop. It took about 5 days for the BT connection to shift over about a meg.

Using speedtest.net and linking to the London server, I get 6mb down, 370kb up on a link that's supposed to be a maximum 8mb down, 448kb up.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 13:54   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I get vastly different reading at different times of the day with speedtest.net.
These were done one after the other just now

Old 03-02-2009, 21:54   #21

Granted.

I get different results from different servers when trying them within seconds of each other. The expectation that you should use the server closest to you shows that such speed tests are inherently flawed. If the results were worth anything, you should be able to use one anywhere in the world and get identical results.

The best way is to time the upload of a big file to the webspace provided by your own ISP, and work the speed out from that. Clear your cache, perhaps even renaming it on the server, then download while timing it to get the download speed. Even that's not perfect, because you may suffer from contention ratio (which, it could be argued, should be factored into the speed you pay for) but it's as good as it gets.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:43   #22
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
If the results were worth anything, you should be able to use one anywhere in the world and get identical results.
That can't be the case as the further away the server is the more routers you have to hop through. You are also relying on the connections between all those routers being able to pass your packets without delay. You also get more lost packets so more have to be resent.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:50   #23
God Member

not technically correct. You could hit australia in half a dozen hops and manchester in 20. It all depends on the network and how the routers and switches are loaded etc.

Plus a request is not sent as a single request so some packets may have a few hops whilst others have loads.

I posted a link once to "Warriers of the Net", its quite a good watch for anyone with a slight technical interest( and even those that don't have its still worth watching as it explains in dead simple langauge how teh 'internet' works)

Warriors of the Net clips

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 20:21   #24
God Member

mancie do your neighbours have broadband? You could possibly ask them what speed they get. If they suggest they get a lot more, and yours hasn't settled down to a similar speed within the week, then clearly there is a fault.

You need to make sure they get broadband through their BT line to compare, as it will be a lot faster under virgin due to use of fibre optic cable.
Old 04-02-2009, 22:30   #25
God Member

Thanks all...Andrewb ..been told could be up to 10 days before I get a decent speed.. but I know if I try speed test at say 3am it will show upto 5mb.. but at 7pm it struggles to run at 500kps.. methinks some sort of "capping" or maybe BT cannot handle heavy traffic.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 00:19   #26
God Member

I know there will be increased usage at prime times, but let us know if your still struggling once your week is up. 500k is really unacceptable. Its what I have now in Hull, but that's because Kingston and my accommodation company have a monopoly. Its terrible, and I'd debate it even being called 'broadband'. You should be getting more than this, I can't even watch iPlayer properly.
Old 05-02-2009, 00:48   #27
God Member

yep and to even view a utube vid buffers... out of order ..and even if broadband suppliers say they may sometimes be of short of speeds it's not on.. hope Big Dave C sorts it out!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:28   #28
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
500k is really unacceptable......Its terrible, and I'd debate it even being called 'broadband'.
I take it you were not on the net with a 14.4 then? Or BBS at many times less than that
Old 05-02-2009, 19:36   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I take it you were not on the net with a 14.4 then? Or BBS at many times less than that
The days of 56k were enough for me.
Old 05-02-2009, 19:53   #30
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
I’m with BT broadband and I get 4,832 Kbps downstream and 448 Kbps upstream.
how do you find that out?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..