Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2009, 22:16   #1
God Member

BT Broadband

Signed up for BT broadband last week after leaving Virgin... my connection speed is currently 250kbps and has not been over 1mb since I was connected !..anyone else with BT getting such slow speeds?
if the mods wish to move this thread to tech section OK
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-02-2009, 22:41   #2
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: BT Broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Signed up for BT broadband last week after leaving Virgin... my connection speed is currently 250kbps and has not been over 1mb since I was connected !..anyone else with BT getting such slow speeds?
if the mods wish to move this thread to tech section OK
I’m with BT broadband and I get 4,832 Kbps downstream and 448 Kbps upstream.
Old 02-02-2009, 22:42   #3
God Member

Re: BT Broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Hey Jem....wheres ta bin?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 22:43   #4
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Hey Jem....wheres ta bin?
My bins outside my front door – both of them.
Old 02-02-2009, 22:45   #5
God Member

Quote:
My bins outside my front door – both of them.
I said wheres ta bin...not where's your bin.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 22:56   #6
God Member

Quote:
OK.. it could be a fault at my end... but if this is the rubbish connection I'm gonna get then this BT hub will soon be in my bin round the back yard!

Last edited by Mancie; 02-02-2009 at 22:58.
Old 02-02-2009, 23:06   #7
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
OK.. it could be a fault at my end... but if this is the rubbish connection I'm gonna get then this BT hub will soon be in my bin round the back yard!
The distance from the exchange also has something to do with it. At least that’s what BT say. Mind you they used to say that broadband was not possible because the overhead wires would need changing (at your expense of course) plus the cable leading to your house.

By the way I don’t have one of those new fangled hub things. Just the BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router connected to my computer via a USB port.
Old 02-02-2009, 23:14   #8

it all depends on your distance from the exchange but one thing to look for is have you got micro filters attached to everything that plugs into a phone socket? if you havent it slows your speed right down and causes connection issues.
Old 02-02-2009, 23:15   #9
God Member

Thanks for the info Jambutty.. I was supplied with the new hub but a freind gave me a Voyager router to try.. I'll give it a go.
cheers Ossy..have been told that also
Old 02-02-2009, 23:43   #10
Apprentice Geriatric

There is something else you should know about BT. Whenever there is a problem it is always YOUR FAULT even when it isn’t.

You can have up to 5 different email addresses and each address comes with its own 15MB of web space. The down side is you cannot link from one web space to the others so you can’t have a 75MB web site.

Until recently you could upload your web site stuff using FTP. They have disabled that now so you have to go to their web site http://uk.geocities.yahoo.com/v/ul.html to upload any web pages etc. It’s no big deal really but it was much easier with something like Cute FTP.

BT’s email service can be a bit iffy at times. Too many times really. But on the plus side they have a very good SPAM filter system and anti nasty system.

Tip for you. When you signed up to BT they will have allocated you an email address, your primary one. Do not use that one ever. Use one of the other four that you can have and instead of a real word for your user name use half a dozen random characters. Then when one of those gets known on the Internet and you start to get loads and loads of spam, you just dump it and use one of your others. Then you can replace the dumped email address with another. You can dump the four extras but you cannot dump your primary email address.
Old 02-02-2009, 23:49   #11
God Member

Iv'e used AOL,Wanadoo,Virgin and now BT.. I hear what your saying.. when no fault can be found from the ISP eventually you get the response that it is your equipment has a fault.. ah well suppose I'll just have to blame Gordon brown
Old 03-02-2009, 00:10   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

That’s the problem with ISP’s, they don’t admit to a fault even when there is one at their end and then quietly put it right whilst you try all sorts on your computer.

When I was with Freeserve/Wanadoo it was the same. It was never their fault.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:59   #13
Junior Member+

What connection speed are you supposed to be getting?

All isp's do what they call a 10 day stabalisation period, basically means your connection will be crap for that period, ive just moved house, but kept the same connection. At the last house i was getting just under 14mbps, i moved just round the corner and was getting just under a meg, after about a week it stabalised at around 13 mbps.

So i would wait and see what happens, Obviously if it stays the way it is, ring them, they can do a few things to enhance the connection
chemicalyinbalanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:00   #14
God Member

to Mancie, it does take a week to setle when you get ADSL but that does seem very slow. Are you using any extention wires from the main socket to where the router is plugged in? If you are its likely that you have a noisy line. try connecting it at the main socket itself just as a test, if its better then you know your extention needs replacing. are you also using wired or wireless from the home hub?

@Jambutty - its perectly possible to spread your website across all 75Meg if you plan it correctly(although I agree its a pain in the buttocks). If you use one space for your HTML only, the others for images/javascript/CSS etc. In your HTML as long as you reference the absolute path for the images it works fine. In my line of work we rarely host static content on teh same servers as the dynamic stuff( as a lightweight server with just Apache, well IBM HTTP Server which is a nastardised form of Apache) running on it allows the dynamice servers to concentrate on doing their job. as an example we may use XXXX.barclays.co.uk for the main 'site' but XXXX.images.barclays.co.uk for static content ( images, javascript, CSS etc)

XXXX obviously changes depending on the service, whether its load balanced, protected by an auth layer etc.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:05   #15
God Member

thanks Entwisi.. yep tried that .. even unplugged the phone and just left the modem lead to the hub .. still same results.. thanks for you time and input.. maybe I'll leave it for now and get back to you.. thanks again all

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..