Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010, 12:57   #1
God Member

Connecting my laptop to my tv

is there a lead i can buy that enables me to connect my laptop to my telly? i just have a basic telly, nothing posh but want to be able to connect them up so i can watch iplayer downloads on my tv

any thoughts?
Old 03-06-2010, 14:56   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Connecting my laptop to my tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
is there a lead i can buy that enables me to connect my laptop to my telly? i just have a basic telly, nothing posh but want to be able to connect them up so i can watch iplayer downloads on my tv

any thoughts?
Dead simple, just connect via your lawn mower.

(I know all the short cut's).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 14:57   #3
God Member

tut.....fool
Old 03-06-2010, 17:12   #4
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device

if you are really lucky your laptop and tv with both have hdmi sockets, if not and if your tv is and lcd or plasma it will in most cases have a standard vga monitor socket. take a 15 pin d-sub to d-sub cable and the pictires sorted. for audio you will need a streo jack to 2 phonos.

if you dont have a vga monitor socket then let us know what it does have and we can see what options you have from there.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 18:24   #5
God Member

my telly is about 10 years old, i very much doubt it has any of those things you said, it only has a scart thing i think
Old 03-06-2010, 19:23   #6
JFT96

If your laptop has a Svhs socket, then you can get a svhs to scart converter kit. Ama@@n sell them for a few pounds. hope that helps.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 19:24   #7
JFT96

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/imag...rod_101062.jpg

An example one here with the Svhs socket.

Old 03-06-2010, 19:33   #8
God Member

thanx cocker
Old 03-06-2010, 19:38   #9
God Member

TBH the quality of those sVHS connections is pretty rubbish as the resolution is so low.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 19:41   #10
JFT96

sorry about that, I had no idea, I use a svhs to svhs so i can watch uk telly here in morocco.

Old 03-06-2010, 19:43   #11
God Member

Accyman just rang me and told me its more hassle than its worth
Old 03-06-2010, 21:35   #12
God Member

if your wanting to watch your xvids buy a rewritable dvdr from poundland and convert the xvids to dvd and play the dvd in your dvd player

will put the software on for you, i am assuming your laptop has a dvd writer

takes about 20 mins to convert a tv show and around 45 mins to convert a movie depending on on your cpu and ram speed etc

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:48   #13

Dont bother with that, just get a dvd player that has a USB socket so you can simply copy the files on to a memory stick to watch.

Or even better, get a media player, you can get them for about £20 & just use the memory stick or an external hard drive.

Or if you have an Xbox or PS3 in the house you can watch them via that.

I gave up making dvd's ages ago, too much hassle.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:39   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

will put the software on for you, i am assuming your laptop has a dvd writer
yes it has chicken, fank woo vewy vewy much
Old 04-06-2010, 11:40   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
Dont bother with that, just get a dvd player that has a USB socket so you can simply copy the files on to a memory stick to watch.

Or even better, get a media player, you can get them for about £20 & just use the memory stick or an external hard drive.

Or if you have an Xbox or PS3 in the house you can watch them via that.

I gave up making dvd's ages ago, too much hassle.

oh my goodness, i would never ever dream of making/copying or pirating dvd's, i'm a very very very good girl i am

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..