Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-03-2013, 19:29   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Data recovery

It`s only duff advice when it doesn`t work & no need for jokes about the dead.
Can`t really preach to anyone about drinking too much.

gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-03-2013, 19:41   #17
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
It`s only duff advice when it doesn`t work & no need for jokes about the dead.
Can`t really preach to anyone about drinking too much.

I can't make jokes when I join them, so I'll do it now ta very much.
As for your claim, give me solid proof (by solid I don't mean -272 or whatever the official temperature is these days), just Google if it's actually of use there will be plenty of phantoms out there that know a friend that had a brother whose sister in law had a second cousin that swears by this technique.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 19:42   #18
Senior Member+

I have often heard of strange solutions for tech problems. If a device is overheating then perhaps sticking it in the freezer might be an tempoary option(though it sounds totally nuts to me) - How do this with saftey is another thing - I certainly wouldn't want to put a HDD into the PC after it had been in the freezer; I have spent around £600 on building this particualr machine! I didn't build it so I could have an overexpensive light show

I will admit to sticking a phone into the freezer - It was a HTC DesireHD - It was supposed to have a software problem(the person said who sold it to me) - It would boot up and then turn straight off. I put it in the freezer for about 2 mins and turned it on and it worked perfectly(for a few mins) - Diagnosed as overheating and later I sold it again via eBay and found out it was water damaged.

I have heard strange fixes for Xbox - wrap it in towels and put it in airing cupboard... PS3's YLOD fix - cooking the actual motherboard in the oven....
Old 18-03-2013, 19:59   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
I have often heard of strange solutions for tech problems. If a device is overheating then perhaps sticking it in the freezer might be an tempoary option(though it sounds totally nuts to me) - How do this with saftey is another thing - I certainly wouldn't want to put a HDD into the PC after it had been in the freezer; I have spent around £600 on building this particualr machine! I didn't build it so I could have an overexpensive light show

I will admit to sticking a phone into the freezer - It was a HTC DesireHD - It was supposed to have a software problem(the person said who sold it to me) - It would boot up and then turn straight off. I put it in the freezer for about 2 mins and turned it on and it worked perfectly(for a few mins) - Diagnosed as overheating and later I sold it again via eBay and found out it was water damaged.

I have heard strange fixes for Xbox - wrap it in towels and put it in airing cupboard... PS3's YLOD fix - cooking the actual motherboard in the oven....
Did you add this post just so I would wet myself? I've already said I'm drinking.
So you put a phone in a freezer for 2 minutes and expect the temperature within to phone to drop (better off giving it a blast from a Co2 extinguisher) THEN, you mention it's water damaged.
Well I wonder why?
Old 18-03-2013, 20:07   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I can't make jokes when I join them, so I'll do it now ta very much.
OK I`ve changed my mind, you definitely drink too much.

I don`t need to prove anything to anyone, I gave a bit of advice that I know can work in certain circumstances, if you want to try it, try it, if you don`t want to then don`t. I really don`t care that much.

If you`re worried about damage to your pc, then don`t do it, maybe put in a caddy or I`d be happy to do it for you.

GPick
Old 18-03-2013, 20:32   #21

Quote:
OK I`ve changed my mind, you definitely drink too much.

I don`t need to prove anything to anyone, I gave a bit of advice that I know can work in certain circumstances, if you want to try it, try it, if you don`t want to then don`t. I really don`t care that much.

If you`re worried about damage to your pc, then don`t do it, maybe put in a caddy or I`d be happy to do it for you.

GPick
Now we come to the crux of it, you joined the site hoping to impress with your PC skills and no doubt I would have to be grateful and pay you.
Well thanx very much but no thanx.
My PC was built to order back in 2007, I have updated most of the components since then, no doubt even though it would last in its present condition for several years I will continue to update it until I get fed up with the colour of the case.

Allow you to touch it? I wouldn't' allow you anywhere near my freezer just to polish the door.
We have accyman to do repairs for those that don't understand computers, if he was no good there would be complaints.
Personally I'm a bit of a nonerist with my computer, (I can do it myself).

Goodbye find another site to prey on.
Old 18-03-2013, 20:39   #22
Senior Member+

I actually joined this site looking to see if a story in the telegraph was being discussed locally, it wasn`t so i`m not going to say what it was and get people talking about it.
I wasn`t suggesting i connect your hard drive to your computer for you, i was suggesting i would connect it to mine to recover data for you.
And i`ve helped many people with pc problems and never ask for a penny.
GPick.
Old 18-03-2013, 20:40   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Did you add this post just so I would wet myself? I've already said I'm drinking.
So you put a phone in a freezer for 2 minutes and expect the temperature within to phone to drop (better off giving it a blast from a Co2 extinguisher) THEN, you mention it's water damaged.
Well I wonder why?
HAHA. Something like that.

Well. It was more like 5 minutes after the phone had been turned off for a considerable amount of time......But. It was already water damaged. That's the reason why the fault was there in the first place.
Old 18-03-2013, 20:59   #24
Senior Member+

avoid the water damage by placing it in a "store n pour" kind of freezer bag, i too had heard of this!, also think they only other way is to send it off and attempt to have a new board fitted, as for backups i usually do use backups, this was my backup whilst i was messing with my macs hdd, in fact it was the drive out of my mac, its currently in a caddy, i havent tried it in my pc, just in the caddy, but hey ho!

join me on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/61983378@N07/
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 21:23   #25
Senior Member+

Hey churchfc, if you`d like to give it a go & I can help in any way, then let me know.
I think I played for church FC when I was a kid, was run by a guy called Tony of Norfolk Grove, he used to work in Asda.
Old 18-03-2013, 21:25   #26
Senior Member+

Although 50GB would be pushing it I think.
Old 18-03-2013, 21:25   #27
God Member

Quote:

I have a theory, put it in an oven on gas mark 8 wait until you either,

funny you should say that because iv fixed a few rrod xbox's by sticking them in the oven for 10 mins on gas mark 4

now i use a heatgun to do reflows but you use what you can when you really must

for the record these were my own xbox units that i bought faulty i dont go around cooking peoples xbox's for fun lol
Restless likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 21:27   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
funny you should say that because iv fixed a few rrod xbox's by sticking them in the oven for 10 mins on gas mark 4

now i use a heatgun to do reflows but you use what you can when you really must
I was going to say this method can be used to fix graphics cards with dry joints but thought nah, been flamed enough on here already.
Old 18-03-2013, 21:37   #29

Quote:
I was going to say this method can be used to fix graphics cards with dry joints but thought nah, been flamed enough on here already.

Hello, who are you? You have been flamed? let me know by whom! I will deal with them, just for you.

So far you have only been treated the way you deserve, like someone that knows nothing but wants to spread the same level of knowledge to the gullible.
Old 18-03-2013, 21:42   #30

Quote:
I actually joined this site looking to see if a story in the telegraph was being discussed locally, it wasn`t so i`m not going to say what it was and get people talking about it.
You haven't found the thread? Then start it, anyone can start a thread, but not much point joining a site just in case a thread is started.

May as well go living in your freezer.

Last edited by Less; 18-03-2013 at 21:45.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..