Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2013, 09:15   #1
Senior Member+

Data recovery

anyoe know of cheap local data recovery

i recently moved my 50gb iphoto library onto external 2.5 inch 250gb drive, and the little (*bleep *bleep *bleep), is now just clicking, so im not looking for a software solution, anyone?

join me on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/61983378@N07/
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-02-2013, 13:21   #2

Re: Data recovery

Hiya,

You might want to try the free download from Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download

I've had success recovering photos from a CF card using Recuva.

Good luck, I hope you manage to retrieve the files.

Cheers

Dawn
Old 26-02-2013, 13:23   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnrodd View Post
Hiya,

You might want to try the free download from Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download

I've had success recovering photos from a CF card using Recuva.

Good luck, I hope you manage to retrieve the files.

Cheers

Dawn
have tried a software, but its a hardware failure, heads possibly
cheers anyhooows

join me on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/61983378@N07/
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 15:56   #4
Senior Member+

Don`t know if this has been sorted but here`s some info for anyone else who may have same problem.
Not guaranteed to work, but definitely worth a try.
Save a Failed Hard Drive in Your Freezer, Redux
GPick.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 17:01   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Don`t know if this has been sorted but here`s some info for anyone else who may have same problem.
Not guaranteed to work, but definitely worth a try.
Save a Failed Hard Drive in Your Freezer, Redux
GPick.
If you read the comments under the way to fix your drive they are all saying it is rubbish
Old 17-03-2013, 18:01   #6
Senior Member+

There are some that say it doesn`t work but not all of them, used it myself and worked for me but like I said, not guaranteed to work, depends on the fault I suppose.
Definitely worth a try as a last resort.
But prevention is better than cure, so keep important data backed up on seperate drive or server.
GPick.
Old 18-03-2013, 13:22   #7
God Member

if you can find teh same model on ebay for example you can swap the green board on the underneath for some faults but i dont think it would work for a clicking hard drive that sounds like a physical problem with the spindle in the hard drive rather than duff chip on the hard drives motherboard

hirents boot cd is a great tool for recovering hard drives and data and is free

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 13:50   #8
Senior Member+

Agree with the Hirens boot CD, lots of good software on there, not just for hard drive faults.
But like I said, after trying everything else, as a last resort, before you throw it in the bin, put in freezer. Nothing to lose.
GPick.
Old 18-03-2013, 15:59   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Agree with the Hirens boot CD, lots of good software on there, not just for hard drive faults.
But like I said, after trying everything else, as a last resort, before you throw it in the bin, put in freezer. Nothing to lose.
GPick.
Tell me, how long do you throw it into the freezer for?

Until you get a nice half inch of frost over all the electrical components?

Then do you allow it three days to de-frost, dry out and then insert it into your failed computer or do you bung it straight in from the freezer and listen (if your lucky) for the fizz of your PSU dying or do you give it a week in the freezer, then you can hear not just your PSU but the local sub-station go ear splittingly bang!

I have a theory, put it in an oven on gas mark 8 wait until you either,

A/ smell the plastic components start to overheat

or

B/wait until your smoke alarm goes off.

I'm sure the results will be of as much use as freezing the damned thing!
Restless likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 17:41   #10
Senior Member+

If you follow the instructions in the link, none of that will happen.
Old 18-03-2013, 18:16   #11

Quote:
If you follow the instructions in the link, none of that will happen.
I have trouble with links like this, too many times people follow such rubbish, then don't tell me what they've done but expect me and other poor mugs like me to breathe fresh breath into their device afterwards, they never blame the link, always the last person that touched it.
Tell you what, feel down the back of your sofa, you will find all the pens and combs that you've lost over the years, they haven't gone to plastic heaven.
But mix electronics with water, that will get them into a place that is similar.
Do you know anything about electronic components?
Can you really give, safe constructive advice if you post links like that?

Last edited by Less; 18-03-2013 at 18:19.
Old 18-03-2013, 18:26   #12
Senior Member+

Have you been drinking, what have combs & pens got to do with anything.
This is about a last ditch attempt to recover data before you give up and chuck the thing away.
It`s not something to try before you decide to ask someone else to look at it, if the data is that important they should bring to you or whoever else first.
Didn`t find this out through the link or a quick google search, first heard of it on a computer forum ( seems to be down at the moment or i`d post a link ), was a post by one of the mods which helped a lot of peolpe recover there data.
Old 18-03-2013, 18:44   #13

Quote:
Have you been drinking, what have combs & pens got to do with anything.
This is about a last ditch attempt to recover data before you give up and chuck the thing away.
It`s not something to try before you decide to ask someone else to look at it, if the data is that important they should bring to you or whoever else first.
Didn`t find this out through the link or a quick google search, first heard of it on a computer forum ( seems to be down at the moment or i`d post a link ), was a post by one of the mods which helped a lot of peolpe recover there data.
Not only been drinking, still drinking!

Do we really have to have an argument?
You posted an iffy link about freezing a hard drive, could it not have been just lucky?
The drive was dying but despite the abuse it got was able to give up it's info on its last gasp?
Putting such a link on lead me to assume you have an active imagination but haven't the sense to work out where biros and other sundry end up.
I suggest you learn not to be too eager to try out everything you read on the internet, some folk that have knowledge bet against each other that they can catch at least one dummy with what they post.
Sometimes that dummies last words are:-
'It must be true, I read it on the internet'.
Old 18-03-2013, 19:00   #14
Senior Member+

I certainly wouldn`t try something just because it was on the internet.
It was advice I read from someone well respected on a great forum ( Phill Enfield on Compuhelp Forum ), unfortuantely he passed away a while ago and the forum went downhill, now seems to be closed.
I`d have posted a link to the thread if I could.
I wasn`t the first or only one on there to follow his advice on this, some successful, some not, luckily worked for me ( or to be more accurate, luckily for the daughter of a friend who`s course work I was able to recover ).
Best advice really is to keep several backups, preferably to a server, plenty available free, I`ve heard drop box is good but haven`t used it myself, I use Virgin Media`s free backup and storage service.
Old 18-03-2013, 19:14   #15

Quote:
I certainly wouldn`t try something just because it was on the internet.
It was advice I read from someone well respected on a great forum ( Phill Enfield on Compuhelp Forum ), unfortuantely he passed away a while ago and the forum went downhill, now seems to be closed.
I`d have posted a link to the thread if I could.
I wasn`t the first or only one on there to follow his advice on this, some successful, some not, luckily worked for me ( or to be more accurate, luckily for the daughter of a friend who`s course work I was able to recover ).
Best advice really is to keep several backups, preferably to a server, plenty available free, I`ve heard drop box is good but haven`t used it myself, I use Virgin Media`s free backup and storage service.
Tell me, did he pass away a very short while after closing the freezer door?

Let's just leave it as you give duff advice and I drink a lot.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..