Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009, 16:59   #1

For linux newbies

10 Free Linux Ebooks For Beginners - HotUKDeals Forum

Well worth a gander.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-05-2009, 06:35   #2
Senior Member+

Re: For linux newbies

what is the advantage of linux over windows.... is it really worth it
Old 14-05-2009, 10:15   #3
God Member

for me its as follows

I don't need to even consider 'pirated' software
I don't need to consider opening an email because it may blow my system apart
I don't need to worry about Spyware/malware etc
I don't need to worry about 'accidentally' messing up teh system files

I can just get on and use my machine to do what its indended for
It doesn't cost me anything for teh software I need to do job X, Y , Z and I can try all teh options and decide which is for me.

It offers me a choice in pretty much every thing I do

I'd offer teh following use case

Julie always used Windows on her laptop, I obviously always use Linux. Both were set up to just do automatic updates as and when anything was released. She got to teh point of dreading turning it off and seeing that " Windows is going to install updates" message as she knew it would more than likely need somthing sorting out afterwards.

about 8 months ago I switched her to Ubuntu. It does everything she wants, has never once needed anything fixing after its updated including the full 'release' update from 8.04 to 9.04. she listens to streaming music, plays online games in teh arcades etc, surfs the web, does email etc , downloads and sends stuff to her phone over Bluetooth and vice versa. In short it just 'works' and I've not had to do anything in all that time.

I'm comfortable that some people may need or even want to use Windows, what I do find funny is the moaning when it breaks.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 16:29   #4
Senior Member+

so linux is unable to be effected by viuses?

Perhaps if i have a PC to play about with i may try it... dont want to risk trying it and having a headahce... but you make it sound easy, how easy is it
Old 14-05-2009, 21:53   #5
God Member

there are no Linux viruses in the Live.

Proof of concept ones exist but due to the secure nature of the OS they can't easily run themselves ( they need to use social engineering at the very least) and unless the user is logged in as root ( teh super user) which is disabled by default in most ditros then they can't touch the OS files in any way.

Buffer overflows can exist to elevate privilages but again I've never heard of one being exploited in LIVE and the patch strategy of Linux is such that once identified teh time to fix is far quicker than Windows with its regular patch release date.

Its VERY easy to install nowadays. The only headache you may get is if you have some weird hardware that isn't supported but this is becoming a rarer event by teh day.

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu is a good place to start.

Feel free to ask if you have any Qs

Old 15-05-2009, 09:04   #6

When installing a program to try etc, then if uninstalling do LInux programs clear themselves off better than windows does?
With XP etc there is always crap being left in the registry & in folders.
(Does Ubuntu use any form of registry?)
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 12:15   #7
God Member

absolutely. there is no concept of a Registry, all shared libraries are managed properly and because the package manager knows what is installed it knows when the final app that requires a shared library has been removed and it can then tidy up properly. Also the package manger actually tells you every single file in teh application and where it will be installed to.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..