Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2010, 12:22   #1
God Member

For those of you who use Windows

BBC News - Microsoft debuts 'fix it' program

Microsoft to release a "Fix it" application that may help some of you non technical people.

Personally I'd recommend Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu as a much better "Fix it" but hey....

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-04-2010, 14:41   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: For those of you who use Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post

Microsoft to release a "Fix it" application that may help some of you non technical people.

Personally I'd recommend Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu as a much better "Fix it" but hey....
Back to normal eh?

Can't leave folk to their own thing can you?

You don't like Windows, so go for what you want, the rest of us will use windows without some smarty pants trying to confuse the innocent.

You're worse than margeretR and her stupid panic mongering ideas!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 14:54   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I'll stick with with Microsoft thanks Ian
Old 19-04-2010, 17:22   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'll stick with with Microsoft thanks Ian
If all you do is surf the net and write a few letters then you would not notice much of a difference and you would probably have a lot less problems with your PC
Old 19-04-2010, 19:07   #5
God Member

err, Less, I help people even though they choose to use what I consider a insecure pile of crap and just because i choose to promote my views you try having a dig, well, get used to it, this was last time I looked a free world and I am allowed to pass my comments as and where I like.

Your getting rather boring in your constant bickerings

Old 19-04-2010, 20:43   #6
Beacon of light

I think the problem(if you want to call it that) is that in the main people stick with what they know.
And another reason that people don't convert to something which we are told is more secure, and has an inherent immunity to the problems that Windows suffers from, is that most of us haven't got a clue how to change from one operating system to another.

I know that I hate Vista with a passion(it seems to me to be ungainly to use and memory hungry....but I am not really that wise when it comes to computers.....all my knowledge is what I have gathered by errorful learning along the way)....it is on my laptop, but I haven't got the faintest idea of how to convert to something more user friendly.

Apologies if I have got hold of the wrong end of the stick......I did tell you that I am but a babe in arms when it comes to the intricacies of computers.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 21:32   #7

Quote:
err, Less, I help people even though they choose to use what I consider a insecure pile of crap and just because i choose to promote my views you try having a dig, well, get used to it, this was last time I looked a free world and I am allowed to pass my comments as and where I like.

Your getting rather boring in your constant bickerings
Pot and kettle time eh?

You don't like me saying give it a rest constantly plugging linux and I and many others are sick of you constantly knocking windows, we know it's a bag of dog droppings, but don't need you to tell us everytime.

I am having a 'dig' so perhaps you should get used to it as well? we share the same freedoms, you call windows I call your attitude to the fact that others want to use windows.

Why not start a Linux appreciation Society then those that want to use it and praise that system can?

Oh, I forgot, you had a site like that for a couple of months, the novelty ran out and it now sits there neglected and full of spam. (Tsk', how could spammers beat such a secure site?).
Old 19-04-2010, 22:09   #8
God Member

Less,

First, show me where I had a dig in the original post, no comment no derogatory statements, just heres something that may help.

whatever a site created back in teh mists of time has to do with this other than you trying yet again to somehow attack me passes me by but if you search that deep and dark place you call your mind you will recall that the software running that site can't have the password reset and as it was forgotten there is no way back in, I emailed the owner of the sites who you and I both know who that is and I was told it couldn't be recovered, yes its a shame but life moves on there are bigger and better things for me to worry about than that and if that is all you can come up with against me then I think I'm doing alright.

As for knocking Windows I will continue to offer an alternative, as the point of this thread was that even Microsoft themselves felt a need for a FIX IT piece of software then it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in their product

Margaret,
I would be happy to show you my favoured solution and even install it for you if you decided to give it a try, it will happily co-exist alongside Windows and you can choose which you want when you start it up. Julie has been using it for over 18 months and I don't ever have to touch her machine any more unlike when it was running XP and would fall over after updates, need Av software patching regularly etc.now to quote her "it just works"

Old 19-04-2010, 23:15   #9

MY initial reaction to the "fix it" program was why not just make it right first time ?

Arch Linux
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 00:37   #10

Quote:
Less,

First, show me where I had a dig in the original post, no comment no derogatory statements, just heres something that may help.
Below are both of my posts so far in this thread:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Back to normal eh?

Can't leave folk to their own thing can you?

You don't like Windows, so go for what you want, the rest of us will use windows without some smarty pants trying to confuse the innocent.

You're worse than margeretR and her stupid panic mongering ideas!

Quote:
Pot and kettle time eh?

You don't like me saying give it a rest constantly plugging linux and I and many others are sick of you constantly knocking windows, we know it's a bag of dog droppings, but don't need you to tell us everytime.

I am having a 'dig' so perhaps you should get used to it as well? we share the same freedoms, you call windows I call your attitude to the fact that others want to use windows.

Why not start a Linux appreciation Society then those that want to use it and praise that system can?

Oh, I forgot, you had a site like that for a couple of months, the novelty ran out and it now sits there neglected and full of spam. (Tsk', how could spammers beat such a secure site?).
You have a look through and tell me where I said you had a dig?

I think you are wonderful for wanting to help people with windows, however I think you are annoying when you can't volunteer such help without plugging an operating system that isn't as useful to the 'ordinary', P.C. user as you claim, all you manage to do is confuse the already confused, unlike you or I, most people don't want to go to geeksville to collect their emails and chat, they don't want a degree in I'm a clever little soul because I don't follow the main stream, they just want to use what they are used to with assistance when needed, not to be told every time it is volunteered, (not asked for), that they are stupid not to upgrade to your obsession.

Quote:
whatever a site created back in teh mists of time has to do with this other than you trying yet again to somehow attack me passes me by but if you search that deep and dark place you call your mind you will recall that the software running that site can't have the password reset and as it was forgotten there is no way back in, I emailed the owner of the sites who you and I both know who that is and I was told it couldn't be recovered, yes its a shame but life moves on there are bigger and better things for me to worry about than that and if that is all you can come up with against me then I think I'm doing alright.
Yes we know the owner, but surely the Administrative password & the security of a site are the responsibility of the Administrator?
If the password for a 'we think linux is wonderful site', is lost it doesn't say much for any other security criticism's about windows security does it?
Quote:

As for knocking Windows I will continue to offer an alternative, as the point of this thread was that even Microsoft themselves felt a need for a FIX IT piece of software then it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in their product
I have no problem with you offering an alternative to windows, I admire you for the fact that you are bothered about windows and it's problems, but if you want to talk about linux, why not start a thread about linux?

Don't just pretend to help with a windows problem as an excuse to get on your soap box to praise a still relatively obscure and difficult operating system for the man in the street to use.

If folk wanted linux they would ask for it, they do want to use windows though and when they ask for help, they don't want to be left feeling they are dummies because they are using the system of choice for casual users.

WikiAnswers - What percentage of computer users use windows mac etc operating systems

The above link claims that only 1% of P.C.'s use linux, this may be a shame, but not using linux doesn't make people stupid because they go for the ease of using the convenience of windows.
Old 20-04-2010, 06:55   #11

Jeez, get a room you two....

I think SamF's comment is spot on.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 07:25   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
The above link claims that only 1% of P.C.'s use linux, this may be a shame, but not using linux doesn't make people stupid because they go for the ease of using the convenience of windows.
What is so easy and convenient about using Windows for the majority of users?

I have to use Windows, my kids use it at school so I wont confuse them, I use software for work that is only available in Windows.
Old 20-04-2010, 08:06   #13
God Member

wow a bitchfest, not seen one of those for a while
Old 20-04-2010, 08:19   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

it might get interesting

Posted via Mobile Device
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 09:53   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
If all you do is surf the net and write a few letters then you would not notice much of a difference and you would probably have a lot less problems with your PC
Generally speaking, people with web/email/word processing don't have problems with their PC. An up-to-date operating system, decent antivirus measures, a firewall and a sensible approach to surfing should all be employed regardless of the o/s in use. If that's all you do with a windows PC, I think it's unlikely to go wrong, so why change?

I've had Ubuntu (the only Linux flavour I've ever tried) on this laptop twice, now. On each occasion it took several attended hours to set up, mostly because of struggles with the proprietary drivers for the wireless network card.

I reinstalled Vista on another laptop which had needed a new hard drive. It took the same amount* of time to get fully patched, but apart from the occasional intervention, it did it all by itself.

For those reasons, I reckon that for anyone with my level of computer ability or lower, Linux is not the o/s to choose.

However, having said that, there is an easy way for you two to settle your argument. Windows users can install wubi which will give you a fully working Ubuntu install that can be removed if you don't like it just using the standard windows install/remove regime. You choose at startup whether you want to boot into windows or linux. It doesn't even mess with your drive partitions - the installation, including the linux root drive, are all contained within folders on the NTFS (or whatever) windows directory structure.

* Actually it took several days, but that's because it was up at the studio waiting overnight for me to reboot it.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..