Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2006, 14:34   #31
God Member

Re: Genuine XP windows

The CD should be bootable if its genuine.

As for taking it to a good shop, I'm afraid they are few and far between. plus it actually isn't that hard to reinstall and as long as you have backed everything up first should pose no risk to your data. It also helps if you have internet access somewhere else to contact us techies if you do make a mess of it. I'm more than happy to help people who want to have a go at something. Plus you get the glow of having learnt how to do something.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-08-2006, 14:38   #32
I am Banned

Cheers Ian

Yeh no probs cant count the times of re formatting - certainly the kids one, least its one way of knowing yer pc inside out LOL

Altho i always get nervous with a new machine as mine hasn't been a prob cept for the xp. Will format later on & will shout for help via tinks but im sure it'll be ok
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 16:18   #33
I am Banned

Im starting saving my stuff & im off to format c wish me luck hopefully be back sorted - entwisi - dont be too far away just in case LOL!!!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2006, 21:46   #34
God Member

Ok got a question for you entwisi and all you techno's out there. Why is it that its coming up windows is not genuine etc and i'm still getting updates?
And they are microsoft ones not for the firewall or virus checker etc.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 21:56   #35
God Member

Microsoft were told by the courts that they couldn't refuse to update critical patches,plus it looks bad for them when all these PCs start falling over due to latest virus , its irrelevant that they are copies, its just bad press all round. They can withhold 'upgrades' though.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 22:59   #36
I am Banned

Im Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geee what a nightmare with getting home edition running right, altho finding how to format c on xp was easy enough im quite a wizz

now being genuine xp'er....alll sorted despite previous edit rant lol

Last edited by accymel; 11-08-2006 at 00:10.
Old 10-08-2006, 23:32   #37
I am Banned

Bloody grrrrrrrrr & grrrrrr i saved or should say tried to save my desktop before wipin my drive & it didnt save properly when trying to reinstall it back my treasured limited edition desktop ASFC flag i got year or 2 back from fishy site has gone - forever

accymel is best avoided as very very angry & sad at that.

Last edited by accymel; 11-08-2006 at 00:12.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:52   #38
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
Do i need a boot floppy made up or can i just boot from cdrom?
You should be able to boot from the CD if your BIOS is set to allow it. Just stick the CD in and restart the PC. You sometimes get asked to "Press any key to boot from CD-ROM" while your PC is still on the black screen early during start up. You can always cancel/exit the windows setup procedure when it starts, it will just prove that you can boot from CD.
Old 16-08-2006, 21:10   #39
I am Banned

I DO NOT beleive this!!!!

The Xp disk thats an original cdrom that i formatted old one & done all the messing around to put the original disk on...........................errr so how come i've again got this not genuine windows notification that luckily is still in wait as in manual download ?????????????????

F-ing Bill Gates rip off merchant!!!

Last edited by accymel; 17-08-2006 at 17:22.
Old 16-08-2006, 21:23   #40
I am Banned

What do i do now? Cant afford pc worlds prices, cant afford a lot already been ebay route which are not genuine as discovered
Old 16-08-2006, 21:25   #41

the program has to be downloaded, then it installs and checks if you have a genuine windows installation and if its genuine you wont have a problem, unless I am mis-understanding what you are saying there
sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 21:35   #42
I am Banned

Downloading it anyway, just when it happened before it put nasty pop ups & stars on saying it wasn't genuine so presumes its going to do the same even though its genuine .... here goes
Old 16-08-2006, 21:37   #43

if its genuine it wont do that, if its not it will
Old 16-08-2006, 21:43   #44
I am Banned

Well nowts come up yet

I have to opologise for paranoia, well cant blame me for how many times its stuck my disk is fake up & its the genuine windows thingy that does it so panicked when that came up

Last edited by accymel; 16-08-2006 at 21:49.
Old 16-08-2006, 21:47   #45

you're not paranoid...Bill Gates really does want to get you....'re money

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..