Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2009, 10:51   #1
God Member

Google maps - Streetview now available in major cities

FYI, : Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Coventry, Derby, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Newcastle, Norwich, Nottingham, Oxford, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Southampton, York, Belfast, Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cardiff and Swansea.

had a quick play looks fun! will certainly make it easier to find shops etc in a strange city.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-03-2009, 18:22   #2
God Member

Re: Google maps - Streetview now available in major cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
FYI, : Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Coventry, Derby, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Newcastle, Norwich, Nottingham, Oxford, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Southampton, York, Belfast, Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cardiff and Swansea.

had a quick play looks fun! will certainly make it easier to find shops etc in a strange city.

The perfect tool for female shoppers then.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 19:51   #3
God Member

Allegedly there is a new game amongst the lads on teh team I work.

They are in a competition to see who can spot the nicest looking ladies and I believe there is a consolation prize for teh shortest skirt

Old 20-03-2009, 09:46   #4

Quote:
Allegedly there is a new game amongst the lads on teh team I work.

They are in a competition to see who can spot the nicest looking ladies...
They'll struggle: Google uses face recognition technology to automatically blur faces. It sometimes gets a bit too enthusiastic, though.

There was a Google car heading along the A671 between Read and Whalley this morning, just after 9am. Couldn't get a snap though, as I was driving.

It does beg the question: Is the "feature" so useful to the world that it justifies the tonnes of carbon put in the atmosphere by these things as they drive around?

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 19:37   #5
Senior Member+

Just been on the news,been 100's of complaints already.People seen being arrested,coming out of sex shops,being sick inthe street to name a few.Apparently it does'nt blur out peoples identities well enough.
Old 20-03-2009, 21:28   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
They'll struggle: Google uses face recognition technology to automatically blur faces. It sometimes gets a bit too enthusiastic, though.

There was a Google car heading along the A671 between Read and Whalley this morning, just after 9am. Couldn't get a snap though, as I was driving.

It does beg the question: Is the "feature" so useful to the world that it justifies the tonnes of carbon put in the atmosphere by these things as they drive around?
And you were driving to where? and for what reason....snaps or pleasure?
Peeved perhaps......If you were given the job, would you give a toss about carbon?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 21:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
And you were driving to where? and for what reason....snaps or pleasure?
Not relevant, and none of your business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Peeved perhaps......If you were given the job, would you give a toss about carbon?
The camera car doesn't have a photographer, it has a driver.

Old 20-03-2009, 21:53   #8
God Member

Quote:
Not relevant, and none of your business.

The camera car doesn't have a photographer, it has a driver.
OK I'll leave it at that if your happy with it.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 22:40   #9
God Member

Quote:
This was raised years ago when they first started the project in the Bay area (ground zero for Google) , they use the non polluting hybrids .

Not to sure about the Google's other green credentials since company founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page have settled on a Boeing 767 (originally designed to seat 300) as their new toy
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 22:45   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Don't think Julie would agree with you Entwisi ... fun searching for a certain shop, can explore all the others on the way.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 01:07   #11
Give, give, give member

I liked it.

Someones cut down the tree I planted in my front garden in London.

The door to my office in Knightsbridge now looks like it's a smoking shelter.

The curtains I made are still hanging at the windows of my Glasgow flat.

I love a good old nose.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 16:00   #12
God Member

I dread to think what it will show people up to if Accrington gets `Streetviewed`...................
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 23:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
...they use the non polluting hybrids .

Not to sure about the Google's other green credentials...
Hybrids aren't "non polluting" or "green" - they relocate the pollution from the exhaust pipe to the power station. The energy has to come from somewhere.

Plus a typical hybrid reduces emissions by 25% on average - a figure that becomes redundant with the drag from a 6' mast topped with electronics gear bolted to the roof.

Is it worth it? How many people need to be able to check out what the view was like from a certain point an any street more than six* months ago?

* Or whatever the gap is between the car driving the route and the view becoming available...

Old 22-03-2009, 08:11   #14
God Member

and they aren't hybrids over here. The one I saw was a Peugeot.

and hybrids are the dirtiest cars ever made

the batteries are made from nickel mined in Canada producing more acid rain than all the power stations in the world. Its shipped to Europe for processing then to Japan to be made into a car then shipped all the way back.

then it comes to the actual car itself, how far with a Prius run on battery power alone? I was astounded when A colleague with one told me. 3 MILES!!!
thats all, less if its hilly!

Then you have all these drivers tootling along the motorway at 70mph in them. err, muppets, the leccy bits get turned off at 45mph so you are now using more fuel dragging half a ton of battery around.

Then there is Battery life - 6 years has been quoted and currently there is no facility to recycle them.

green? yeh my backside's greener than one of them things.

Now true green is something that the political parties don't tell you. its far greener to continue using old cars to the end of their working life than to build a shiny new more economical one. Over 75% of emissions in a cars life are from manufacture and decomissioning. running one is negligable. Add LPG and biodiesel to the mix and it gets even better for the old car. when a car becomes past economical to continue then stripping all useable parts to keep others on the road is the true and best form of recycling you can do.

So if you drive a car older than 10 years be smug you are better for teh environment than the hybrid driving loonies!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..