Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2008, 21:55   #1
Resident Waffler

HD Television

OK, I am a total numpty when it comes to this HD malarky. I know what digital is but we are looking at HD ready TVs and we don't understand how you get the HDness. Do you have to have some other thing as well as your sky box?

We don't adapt to modern technology very quickly chez Whisp.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-07-2008, 23:13   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: HD Television

If you are with sky then you will need to change the box to a HD box and pay sky the £10 per month HD tax that they charge to get HD.
Old 13-07-2008, 23:41   #3
I am Banned

dont think theres a lot of channels at the moment offering HD but i am sure there will be in the future- i know you have to have a HD lead which apparently isnt included in a lot of HD equipment and they can be expensive
the higher the conrast ratio the better/more defined picture you will have
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 07:10   #4
Resident Waffler

So what does the HD lead do? Where does it lead from? If we just get HD ready we can get a lead when we need to, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
If you are with sky then you will need to change the box to a HD box and pay sky the £10 per month HD tax that they charge to get HD.
Are you sure there isn't also VAT on top of the HD tax?

Old 14-07-2008, 09:14   #5
God Member

Willow, Sky are charging to upgrade to HD, currently I believe its 199 for tehbox then 10/month on top of what your subscription is.

FreeSat has just launched offering some HD content for free ( BBC, ITV etc) but you need a different box to receive it although you can use your sky dish and LNB(The bit on teh arm). I'm considering getting one as we have a spare 'lead' from teh dish from when we had multiroom.

To connect from the HD source to the TV you need to use a HDMI cable, this basically send the signal in digital format( both picture and sound together) to teh TV that then decodes and displays etc it. There is another set of wires that can carry HD but HDMI is teh way to go.

Just be wary that there are two standards of HD, 720 and 1080 there are pros and cons of both types.

You can get DVD players that will "upscale" pictures to HD. this means they effectively 'guess' teh missing lines. Some are meant to be very good at it and its a way of improving teh picture you already get.

One thing I've also picked up is that soem HD TVs are rubbish at displaying standard TV and seeing as this is what you will be watchiung teh majority ofteh time make sure you don't end up worse off for teh majority.

Samsung TVs are highly recommended by me (We have a 37", the church have 3x 40" and mother in law has a 32 and a 37" ones, all are brilliant). Sonys, Panasonic and Pioneer are also good. Don't fall for " this noname" chinky one has a samsung panel, it isn't the same quality of panel as the samsung TVs themselves.

Forgot to add, looik at www.laskys.co.uk for cheap prices and going through quidco gets you another 2.5% off!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 09:40   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post

One thing I've also picked up is that soem HD TVs are rubbish at displaying standard TV and seeing as this is what you will be watchiung teh majority ofteh time make sure you don't end up worse off for teh majority.

Samsung TVs are highly recommended by me (We have a 37", the church have 3x 40" and mother in law has a 32 and a 37" ones, all are brilliant). Sonys, Panasonic and Pioneer are also good. Don't fall for " this noname" chinky one has a samsung panel, it isn't the same quality of panel as the samsung TVs themselves.
I would agree with that, I have a Samsung Series 6, 46" and whilst I think its a great TV, when using HD sorce (Xbox & DVD Upscaller) the Pic is Great, But The Signal I get from Sky (Standard) can be pretty poor especially BBC, football can be poor to watch.

Its not so much the TV its the sorce media also, you wont notice it much on a small CRT.

Depends what your after and your Budget really.
Old 14-07-2008, 11:18   #7
Resting in Peace

I had a Sky HD box bought for me for Xmas 18 months ago, the picture is great had not trouble what-so-ever, they are adding new HD channel all the time, I'm to lazey to cheek now but I think its over twenty, there were very few when I first got it
Old 14-07-2008, 14:58   #8
Resident Waffler

We started looking at new TVs a while ago and just got so overwhelmed by all the different styles types models etc etc that we gave up on it. Then we started looking again this weekend and I've been out today looking at some and then reading everything people have said on here and elsewhere and I just feel like my head is going to burst with all the information. I just know we'll end up getting one, regretting it and wishing we'd got a different one!

One thing I am sure of after today and that is that we don't want/need an ultra huge one or it will be just far too big for the room.

Old 14-07-2008, 15:19   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
We started looking at new TVs a while ago and just got so overwhelmed by all the different styles types models etc etc that we gave up on it. Then we started looking again this weekend and I've been out today looking at some and then reading everything people have said on here and elsewhere and I just feel like my head is going to burst with all the information. I just know we'll end up getting one, regretting it and wishing we'd got a different one!

One thing I am sure of after today and that is that we don't want/need an ultra huge one or it will be just far too big for the room.
It can be a minefield.

Its all down to what you need it far.

What will you be plugging into it and whats your budget.

I presume you want a LCD or Plasma Type
Old 14-07-2008, 15:23   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

A HDMI lead is a HD version of a scart lead.
Old 14-07-2008, 15:29   #11
Senior Member+

would the condition of ones eyes
have any bearing on how good the picture you view is
hd or not ?

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 15:47   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post

Well just choose the one you like,then change your mind and get a different one.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 16:27   #13
Resident Waffler

That's what I'm afraid we'll end up doing - which is why we end up not buying one at all!

Old 14-07-2008, 19:16   #14
God Member

IMHO Willow, in a terraced house like yours I'd say a 37" is plenty big enough. they do seem 'excessive' when you first get it but you soon adjust.

Ive just ordered this for teh mother in law, set it up on saturday and its lovely. I have teh previous model as well

http://www.laskys.com/tv_and_dvd/lcd...457c1dxxu.html

with quidco its less than £500 delivered.

Samsungs are almost always considered in teh top 3 of LCDs so go with one and you know your pretty much on the button. One other thing is to spend a bit of time when you get it setting it up correctly. All LCDs etc tend to be set up by default "too bright and vivid" as a sort of WOW factor. There are how tos on teh net as to how to do it properly and its amazing how much more pleasant it becomes to watch.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..