Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008, 16:47   #1
God Member

if a mouse farts..

it seems that if so much as a mouse farts a sky broadcast signal will be interupted

the past few weeks since getting sky i have yet to be able to watch an entire tv show without loss of picture, sound or constant breaking up of the picture

location should not be an issue as it is broadcast from outer space so it isnt a region or area problem

i wish ntl were available in my area or virgin as they are now called as i had many years with them before and no matter what the weather was like i got perfect reception

sky are getting a call tomorrow and been told to get stuffed , theres no way in hell im paying for a service i am not getting or only partialy getting

anyone else notice how poopy sky is in a slight breeze never mind a storm

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2008, 17:12   #2
Senior Member+

Re: if a mouse farts..

Yeah Im with ya on that one, sky can be poor reception and when it rains hard the thing can just freeze.

Footballs the worst you really see how bad the pic is when watching it on a big TV, and its down to the signal being received, or is it a blag to get people to upgrade to HD.
Old 07-09-2008, 17:14   #3
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device

You probably just need to get your dish re-aligned. Its probabl;y shifted a bit so you aren't getting a decent signal
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 17:35   #4
God Member

nope its freshly installed and i luckily live across from a sky engineer who has checked everyting out

basicly sky is crap but its the only option if you want more channels in this area, sadly even normal TV is a lot of hassle to get which is ridiculous seen as people in bad reception areas are still charged for a licence the BBC should ensure everyone gets a strong signal

cant even go to freeview the signal just isnt good enough

if you pay for a service then the service provider should be able to deliver especialy with the millions they make it cant be too difficult to ensure customers get what they pay for

saying that i now people who live in more poulated areas that get crap pictures and constant interference watching sky so to me it shows their product is basicly crap and they need to improve their method of delivery of their product

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 07-09-2008, 17:47   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

My virgin cable is spot on
Old 07-09-2008, 17:54   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

exactly

a much smaller company can deliver a quality product so why cant sky

liek i said i had many years with ntl with no problems its just a pity i cant get them in my current area

sky blows balls and is on par with the bbc for taking the mick

Old 07-09-2008, 18:14   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
exactly

a much smaller company can deliver a quality product so why cant sky
Almost all the channels on Virgin come from Sky and via their satellite's as well
Old 07-09-2008, 18:15   #8
God Member

We've got TV, Broadband and phone line with Tiscali. Really happy with the standard of all. We had Tiscali internet since dial-up days and we've had absolutely no problems with them.
Tiscali TV offers loads of on demand channels with really decent stuff. Recently I've watched all off X Files season 9, seasons 1 and 2 of League of Gentlemen and lots of Louis Theroux documentaries. Aside from a few teething problems there's rarely anything wrong with the picture or sound etc.
Sky is not the only option!
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 21:25   #9
I am Banned

Must be your dish, I put my own up last yera with a quad head
signal strength is shown as 90% plus on most channels.

A month ago I plugged another lead into the head and now
get freesat on the upstairs tele.

Perfect pictures no matter what the weather is like.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 21:27   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
So is mine
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:36   #11
God Member

Quote:
Almost all the channels on Virgin come from Sky and via their satellite's as well
ahh but virgin have much better recievers than us common folk , im sure if i had their setup i woudlnt be having any problems

Old 08-09-2008, 06:24   #12
God Member

I've had Sky for 10 years at this address as we cannot get a terrestrial signal and there is no cable, only time it goes offif during either really heavy thunder/storm or really heavy snow.

There is obviously something wrong and I'd be getting a second opinion on teh dish and cable. You should also try a spare box to make sure its not a faulty box but IMHO its more likely to be the dish/LNB or cable.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:44   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Must be your dish, I put my own up last yera with a quad head
signal strength is shown as 90% plus on most channels.
It is not the signal strength you want to be looking at but the signal quality. Sometimes I have seen the signal level low but the quality high and it works perfectly. That is using one of the inline meters not what the sky box tells you the level is.

When you use a quad LNB each of the 4 lnbs within the unit is in effect sharing the reflected signal by the dish. This does give slightly lower signal levels. This tends to be compensated for on modern LNB as they have a fairly low signal to noise ratio compared to those of a few years ago.

I still think that this far north you are better with a zone 2 60cm dish instead of the 48cm zone 1 dish that the installers use for cheapness and ease of installation. You would be less likely to loose signal with the larger dish. I the past when the weather has been bad and my sky box lost signal, I have moved my 1m disg around to the sky satellites and managed to get a picture no problem.

Who said size does not mater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
ahh but virgin have much better recievers than us common folk , im sure if i had their setup i woudlnt be having any problems
You would not fit one of their dishes in your garden mate
Old 08-09-2008, 13:16   #14
I am Banned

Maybe its time to call in an exterminator
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 16:24   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
It is not the signal strength you want to be looking at but the signal quality. Sometimes I have seen the signal level low but the quality high and it works perfectly. That is using one of the inline meters not what the sky box tells you the level is.
Sky's signal quality is bad.

I didnt notice it really on my old 32" TV, when I got a 46" you really see the quality of the signal is very poor on certain channels.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..