Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2008, 22:12   #1
I am Banned

iMac help

Hi I need to invest in an iMac - I am pretty well up on PCs but dont know where to start with a mac ie specs etc are they same as PC's spec wise - is there anything different i need to look for on a mac ?
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-09-2008, 11:54   #2
God Member

Re: iMac help

an extra large bank balance to buy one over a similar spec PC?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 13:16   #3

The current iMacs are great, and look great too. We've just got a batch of them in at work, I was installing one on Friday. They are pricey compared to PC's though, but they just work. And I like them, I have a Mac Pro.

IMac's here:
Apple (United Kingdom) - iMac
Old 29-09-2008, 14:15   #4
Roy
Administrator

I've got a 20 inch iMac which is fine, but I would rather have the 24 inch version. If you want a mac then it is definitely a good starting point. The great thing with the mac range is that they are all good, so it is difficult to make a mistake. (Actually, can't vouch for the Macbook Air as I haven't got one of them)
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 20:47   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
an extra large bank balance to buy one over a similar spec PC?
yeah I know - but this course is a serious change in my life and I want to treat it as such.
It would be advantageous in the field of graphics and typography to be able to be fluent on a mac.
and it would be even better to be fluent on both Mac and Pc.
but it is preferrable to have a Mac and my Pc.
I suppose that the specs are mainly the same then ?

and no I wont consider linux lol
Old 30-09-2008, 20:58   #6
God Member

don't consider whatever you want

the honest truth is that Macs are expensive, fair enough if you are vain etc enough to use one.

as I understand it you are moving into photography/design? in which case I would question why Photoshop on PC is not 'enough'? what is it that MAC offers that PC can't supply? don't waste cash when setting up as it isn't a good start in business.

Old 30-09-2008, 21:05   #7
I am Banned

Ah but I am not setting up a buisness -BA honours graphic design anything from designing typefaces to websites and product packaging.
I am investing in my future - its not about vanity. I have recently worked on a Mac and there is a difference and it is pretty big - they are so much more fluid and you dont get asked every click of the mouse if you want to allow this action or that action.

Just wanted to know if there were any major diffs that is all - besides the price.
Old 30-09-2008, 21:09   #8
I am Banned

Also the one major difference that does count even though it shouldnt is the interview panel at your first job
" so you have used a Mac"
"yes but I am fluent on a PC"
"are you confident you can meet very tight deadlines?"
"yes"
"but we only have Macs"
"Oh"
Old 30-09-2008, 21:12   #9
God Member

so you aren't self employed,

publishing has always been quark on mac or whatever its spelt like! )

Old 30-09-2008, 22:57   #10
I am Banned

No I'm not I have three years togo at uni now and after some good experience after that I hope to be. We do live briefs during our time which is great but living the student life for now I am afraid lol.
I have just been going through my old drives and found the pics I did using your lens I am just going to upload them now so they will be somewhere in amongst my photos.
thanks for your help x
Old 30-09-2008, 23:25   #11
I am Banned

mm tried uploading twice but oh no - they are not there !!
not big files either a pm is needed i think
Old 01-10-2008, 07:40   #12
God Member

Fair enough, good luck, invest in a macbook pro and you should be good for a few years. I know Roy loves his and Cyfr has a macbook IIRC.

Are you going to be doing some freelancing whilst at Uni? You could start doing wedding/ portrait stuff as a bit of spending in the meantime as you have already taken teh step away from being a wage slave and if it takes off you can always bin teh uni course

Old 01-10-2008, 16:57   #13
I am Banned

lol - yeah i am hoping to do some freelance - but not photography - want to go more on designing brands and logos.
but what ever is going to bring a bit extra in to pay the bills

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..