Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2009, 14:25   #1
Senior Member+

Kijacked ???

got an email from a friend with a load of spam on
supposedly sent by me,but obviously not
he told me my email account had been kijacked ?
can anyone tell me what this means and how to remedy it
thanks

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-06-2009, 17:30   #2
God Member

Re: Kijacked ???

The Spammers are using legitimate email addresses to avoid spam filters. This is dead easy to do and nothing you can do about it. They just put your email address in their settings and send a couple of million spam emails out.
As for Kijacked, does your friend have fat fingers, as the H and the K are close on the keyboard. They meant Hijacked. But I'm sure you haven't been hijacked.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 19:29   #3
Senior Member+

think your right on the misspell,
so i have to grin and bare it

Old 22-06-2009, 20:31   #4
God Member

It gets worse, your email address will eventually get flagged by the filters, then your legitimate mail could get marked as spam.

Eventually, all email will be marked as spam, and something would need to be done about it.

If people were to stop responding to the spam, and ISP's started charging money, (if a certain amount of mails were sent in a day). Then the email system would work perfectly, as it was designed to do.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 05:01   #5
Senior Member+

oh stop being so cheerful,
could i not just change my email address ?

Old 23-06-2009, 05:06   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redash View Post
It gets worse, your email address will eventually get flagged by the filters, then your legitimate mail could get marked as spam.

Eventually, all email will be marked as spam, and something would need to be done about it.

If people were to stop responding to the spam, and ISP's started charging money, (if a certain amount of mails were sent in a day). Then the email system would work perfectly, as it was designed to do.
cor blimey Beechy you might as well end it all with a bullet to yer head..it's all doom and gloom!..what sort of life can you have when your e.mail has been Kijacked?.

Last edited by Mancie; 23-06-2009 at 05:10.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 05:33   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
cor blimey Beechy you might as well end it all with a bullet to yer head..it's all doom and gloom!..what sort of life can you have when your e.mail has been Kijacked?.

maybe they will send me a ransom email

Old 23-06-2009, 09:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
got an email from a friend with a load of spam on
supposedly sent by me,but obviously not
he told me my email account had been kijacked ?
can anyone tell me what this means and how to remedy it
thanks
Further to the other answers, if anyone has been hijacked, it's not you, it's someone known by both you and your friend.

The infected PC sends emails to addresses in its inbox/address book/sent items while purporting to be from other addresses in its inbox/address book/sent items. It increases the chances if the email being trusted by the recipient.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 17:51   #9

Studio that sounds a bit like the magistrate virus which sends a copy of itself along with a mail to everyone in your address book, the mail message will be made up of sections of previous emails so the message will look familiar to you but on reading it it wont follow as a properly written mail, to check ask some more people in your address book if their virus checker has flagged any of your mail. I will be suprised as its been around for some years and everyone has a virus checker on incoming and out going mail dont they? On that note i'm sure they dont have its more like a spam server and is hard to stop but can be with some detective work, first have a look at the full email header it will show a bit more info as too where its come from. I would open another email account as soon as, in case you lose it on the spam marker.
spex357 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..