Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 19:32   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Kodak Printers Claims!

I bought new cartridges in December and put them in and printed one document!

I left them till 19th Jan and printed 2 letters which came out with patchy black ink but acceptable!

Today I went to print a photo and it comes out with all streaky lines on it. Obviously the cartridges have dried up - WHAT JUST AFTER A MONTH! THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED WITH ANY PRINTER I HAD BEFORE!

I have tried remedy this and it's made it worse now the black ink won't print at all! Anyone had this problem before and have a solution with Kodak printers - WHICH ARE CRAP!

Last edited by kestrelx; 02-02-2012 at 19:34.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-02-2012, 19:57   #32
Senior Member+

kestrelx, I had a quite expensive Canon which was excellent for printing and photos.We moved house and I didn't set things up for about 4 months.
When I tried to use it I had exactly the same problem.Bought new cartridges-just the same.
I took it in and they said the jets(printer heads?) had dried out and it would cost more to repair than replacing it so think before you spend a fortune on new cartridges.
My solution-threw it away and bought a much cheaper one- if that goes wrong I won't feel so bad about throwing it and it does the job although not quite as good on photos.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 20:38   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
kestrelx, I had a quite expensive Canon which was excellent for printing and photos.We moved house and I didn't set things up for about 4 months.
When I tried to use it I had exactly the same problem.Bought new cartridges-just the same.
I took it in and they said the jets(printer heads?) had dried out and it would cost more to repair than replacing it so think before you spend a fortune on new cartridges.
My solution-threw it away and bought a much cheaper one- if that goes wrong I won't feel so bad about throwing it and it does the job although not quite as good on photos.
I only put these cartridges in at Christmas - brand new! They shouldn't have dried out by now! And now after I have been trying to get them to work the printer is now telling me "Black cartridge needs replacing!" What a joke - I've hardly used them! I think it's the crap design of Kodak - the cartridges are weird they have sort of open sponges where there is ink, on the color one there is 3 and on the black just 1!

Last edited by Neil; 03-02-2012 at 18:32. Reason: swearing
Old 02-02-2012, 20:55   #34
Senior Member+

As I said, with mine it wasn't the cartridges drying out, I put new ones in-no improvement. I would imagine the jets on the actual printer head are very small, if not used the ink dries in them and the whole printer head is scrap.
Old 02-02-2012, 21:06   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
As I said, with mine it wasn't the cartridges drying out, I put new ones in-no improvement. I would imagine the jets on the actual printer head are very small, if not used the ink dries in them and the whole printer head is scrap.
Yes I get your point. Difference is this is a new printer and has hardly been used! I have one more set of cartridges to put in. But I think Kodak may be trying to be to clever and the intelligence on the printer itself is too sensitive! Because it's already telling me that my cartridges have run out of ink - when i havn't used any hardly! This must be some kind of sensor that it appears to me, I don't think it allows you to keep taking the cartridges out!
Old 02-02-2012, 22:00   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
I've just pulled out my old Hewlett Packard F-4280 with half a full cartridge of black ink but an empty color cartridge havn't used it for over 6 months - printed off a black and white photo and it's IMACULATE!!! So how come this crap Kodak doesn't even work with brand new cartridges!!!

Last edited by Neil; 03-02-2012 at 18:31.
Old 02-02-2012, 22:14   #37
I am Banned

Quote:
That is one of the problems with inkjet printers. I had one once, used to reuse them with the refill kits, one of the bottles in the kit contains a solvent for the ink, when mine reported ink problems, I took the catridges out and stood them in the solvent for about 10 mins, dabbed them dry with a tissue, then set it to print a test page, couple of test pages & it worked ok, untill it dried up again, doesn't take long standing idle in a warm room to dry out the heads.
Got fed up in the end. and bought a colour laser printer, lot cheaper, to run than ink jets.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:13   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I bought a new cannon printer Gordon about 14 months ago, it cost £35 and I have replaced the black ink cartridge once, the original colour cartridge is still going strong
Old 03-02-2012, 12:35   #39
God Member

Some printers have fixed heads and just replaceable Ink "pots" whereas some have them integrated to the cartridge. The former are best for people who print a lot as they dont worry about drying up blocking them and replacement cartidges are cheap, the latter are better for those who print occasionally as a new cartridge replaces the lot, the carts are more expensive obviously but you know that replacing one will give you back full printing again...

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 13:31   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Some printers have fixed heads and just replaceable Ink "pots" whereas some have them integrated to the cartridge. The former are best for people who print a lot as they dont worry about drying up blocking them and replacement cartidges are cheap, the latter are better for those who print occasionally as a new cartridge replaces the lot, the carts are more expensive obviously but you know that replacing one will give you back full printing again...
I didn't realise that, entwisi. So if you don't print a lot(I don't) you're better with the integrated head/cartridge?
But are the printers and the new integrated heads very expensive? With the price of a cheap printer for an irregular user would it be worth it?
To make sure my (cheap) printer doesn't dry up as the last one did I just print a page every few days.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 03-02-2012 at 13:33.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:18   #41

Like others I've got an HP now and it uses link up far less than the Epson I had before. Also the ink on the HP is a lot cheaper than the Epson.
nick4u1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:43   #42
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4u1 View Post
Like others I've got an HP now and it uses link up far less than the Epson I had before. Also the ink on the HP is a lot cheaper than the Epson.

You have to compare like for like so need to look how much ink is in the cartridge as they vary a lot.

I have just bought 14 ink cartridges for £7.99 which is 57p each. These are for an Epson. I don't think you would pay less for HP ones.
Old 09-02-2012, 18:09   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You have to compare like for like so need to look how much ink is in the cartridge as they vary a lot.

I have just bought 14 ink cartridges for £7.99 which is 57p each. These are for an Epson. I don't think you would pay less for HP ones.
Which waggon did they fall off
Old 09-02-2012, 18:41   #44
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Which waggon did they fall off

That is the price they are on ebay. Used them before and they have always been ok.
Old 24-02-2012, 21:12   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Kodak have now sent me new printer heads and the printer is working now!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..