Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011, 15:42   #1
Senior Member+

Kodak Printers Claims!

Anyone seen the TV ad for the new Kodak printers that are supposed to have cheaper printer cartridges and do more printing?

I bought one and it seems to be the exact opposite, I hardly used it compared to my Hewlett Packard one and the meters were coming up telling me I was low on ink when I'd hardly used it!

Anyone else had this happen?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-11-2011, 17:40   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Kodak Printers Claims!

well it aint good to take any notice of ads Kestrel.
Old 12-11-2011, 17:43   #3
Beacon of light

Perhaps the printer was sold to you with one of those small cartridges in it.
I have always preferred HP printers.....and people tell me thi inks are expensive, but I get mine from the cartridge people(not HP originals, but Hp compatibles) and have always been quite happy with both performance and price.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 05:56   #4
Resting in Peace

If its brand new the first set of cartridges will not be full they will only have enough in them for a few prints most printers come with low amounts of ink in the first set of cartridges try another set and work on there output.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 09:30   #5
Resting in Peace

I always used HP, but this time I got a Cannon, cheap and nasty and the first cartridge lasted 9 months
Old 14-11-2011, 16:53   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
If its brand new the first set of cartridges will not be full they will only have enough in them for a few prints most printers come with low amounts of ink in the first set of cartridges try another set and work on there output.

Mmmm - the new HP one I got lasted ages, so the cartridges must have been full and that was the case with a Lexmark I purchased before that. Perhaps it may be the case with the Kodak - but it hasn't actually run out yet - but the meters are showing that it's almost empty when I've hardly used it that much yet compared to the HP which has gone a lot longer.
Old 14-11-2011, 17:24   #7
Senior Member+

I have a Canon and the 'empty cartridge' lights start flashing long before they run out- I reckon they're half full when the warnings start.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 17:54   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I have a Canon and the 'empty cartridge' lights start flashing long before they run out- I reckon they're half full when the warnings start.
Ya I was using mine for months went it was telling me the ink was low Gordon
Old 14-11-2011, 22:56   #9

If I get a low ink warning I normally remove it, give it a shake then put it back in.

That normally gets a few months out of the ink.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk
phil8715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 16:58   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya I was using mine for months went it was telling me the ink was low Gordon
I think it could be the meters reading wrong that the ink is low - perhaps it's a fault of the printer?
Old 28-11-2011, 17:47   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I think it could be the meters reading wrong that the ink is low - perhaps it's a fault of the printer?
Its brand new, well 11 months old
Old 09-12-2011, 16:54   #12
Senior Member+

They have also made it so you can't use it unless both cartridges are full. So when you only want to use black ink you have to get a color one else it won't work! Never had this before on other printers!
Old 09-12-2011, 18:01   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
They have also made it so you can't use it unless both cartridges are full. So when you only want to use black ink you have to get a color one else it won't work! Never had this before on other printers!
Ive just changed the black cartridge in my cannon and the colours still going strong, if Kodak are doing that its shooting their claims out of the sky the cheating gits
Old 13-12-2011, 19:49   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I recently bought a replacement HP printer for work - the cartridges in the broken one still contained ink, so I used those in the replacement. When it came time to replace them, I used the cartridges that had been in the new printer box: They yielded the same number of prints as we get from separately-bought cartridges.

If you think about it, it's not a good idea for companies to short-change you on the ink that comes with the printer. Generally, consumer printers are cheap because the companies make their money in the ink sales. If the consumer gets the impression that the ink will not last long, the printer will be expensive to run, and it might be more cost-effective to ditch the printer and go with a different manufacturer.

I reckon that most of the time, any "loss" of ink in a new printer is down to tubes being charged with ink.

Quote:
Anyone seen the TV ad for the new Kodak printers that are supposed to have cheaper printer cartridges and do more printing... the meters were coming up telling me I was low on ink when I'd hardly used it!
As mentioned above, if the printer is cheap, the printer company makes its money on ink. If you spent more than £80-£100 on the printer, then you're right to feel upset that it's got through the ink quickly.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 11:11   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
I recently bought a replacement HP printer for work - the cartridges in the broken one still contained ink, so I used those in the replacement. When it came time to replace them, I used the cartridges that had been in the new printer box: They yielded the same number of prints as we get from separately-bought cartridges.

If you think about it, it's not a good idea for companies to short-change you on the ink that comes with the printer. Generally, consumer printers are cheap because the companies make their money in the ink sales. If the consumer gets the impression that the ink will not last long, the printer will be expensive to run, and it might be more cost-effective to ditch the printer and go with a different manufacturer.

I reckon that most of the time, any "loss" of ink in a new printer is down to tubes being charged with ink.

As mentioned above, if the printer is cheap, the printer company makes its money on ink. If you spent more than £80-£100 on the printer, then you're right to feel upset that it's got through the ink quickly.
Especially when they have and advert on TV claiming you get more printing out of less ink in their new printer system!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..