Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-04-2008, 21:06   #1
Senior Member+

Linux

Right i have decided to dabble with linux, nothing major at the moment i just want to run it though a cd when i feel like it. However i have had to order a cd due to me discovering i have to cds. anything i should know ? just to add, i know i will have to repartition the hard drive.

Last edited by Nickelson; 25-04-2008 at 21:12.
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-04-2008, 21:22   #2
God Member

Re: Linux

Actually if it's Ubuntu you're installing and just want to try it without repartitioning, you can install it within windows, allegedly. With the latest Ubuntu that is (8.04).

I'm going to try and do it for my dad once I find a CD, I'll let you know how it goes.

ps. Thats all really, if you decide to repartition it should be fine and straight forward, just make sure you backup any important files!!
Old 25-04-2008, 21:26   #3
Senior Member+

look on here tom.......i think entwisi knows a little bit about linux!

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...rus-38855.html

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 21:28   #4
Senior Member+

sick of reformating windows, plus i want to run it for college . Cheers Cyfr
Old 26-04-2008, 10:32   #5
God Member

Wow I'm really impressed. You can put the CD in while windows is on, click install and it will install it in your free space on windows, then reboot and you can select either Ubuntu or Windows to start up. I think it runs a bit slower because its running off windows, but certainly a brilliant way to try it if you don't want to go for the full partitioning and installing!

Everything on my dads laptop worked straight away. The new Ubuntu is even better than the last
Old 26-04-2008, 13:17   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
Wow I'm really impressed. You can put the CD in while windows is on, click install and it will install it in your free space on windows, then reboot and you can select either Ubuntu or Windows to start up. I think it runs a bit slower because its running off windows, but certainly a brilliant way to try it if you don't want to go for the full partitioning and installing!

Everything on my dads laptop worked straight away. The new Ubuntu is even better than the last
I do it the other way round, run Ubuntu and If I want to do anything in windoze I run XP using Vmware, PC's dual boot anyway but haven't actually booted into Windoze for months now.

Partitioning - I use Gparted from a live CD, available HERE
You running Vista?? believe you have to resize the Vista partition using it's own tools, never done it so can't say for sure

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by K.S.H; 26-04-2008 at 13:23.
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 13:21   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelson View Post
i have had to order a cd due to me discovering i have to cds.
Ubuntu available HERE

www.ubuntu.com

Old 26-04-2008, 17:54   #8
Senior Member+

Yeah i have no CD's to burn it onto so i have requested one.
Old 04-05-2008, 21:29   #9
God Member

Well i've just installed the latest version, hardy heron 8.04, took about 25 mins from start to finish, everything seems OK so far, just 1 snag I come across is that my online banking doesn't support Friefox3 (not yet anyway because its in beta)

Edit - make that 2, fireftp doesn't work yet either

www.ubuntu.com

Old 04-05-2008, 21:33   #10
God Member

I always used gftp mate, found it fine..

What bank? Barclays seems to be fine on FF 3

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 21:37   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I always used gftp mate, found it fine..

What bank? Barclays seems to be fine on FF 3
Always used fireftp since I've been using Firefox, had a scout round not long ago for other apps but decided to stick with it, Its not a problem, can always download Firefox 2.

Nat west

www.ubuntu.com

Old 04-05-2008, 21:49   #12
God Member

It works fine with Yorkshire too.

It's a bit annoying when your bank decides on your behalf what to allow/disallow though!
Old 05-05-2008, 03:14   #13
God Member

ahh good old linux , the operating sysyem for thoise witha stick up their a$$ about microsoft

remember folks

all the viruses are written by linux goons who take it upon themselves to punish us microsoft users for been inferior to them because we dare to use the operating system provided to us on our systems

ps;

linux has now become more easy to use

how did they aceive this

they made it more like windows
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:34   #14
God Member

... Have you used linux?
Old 05-05-2008, 09:39   #15
God Member

What utter utter codswallop you speak.

Viruses are written by people who want to cause damage for fun or steal finacial information. if you have any proof that its written by Linux 'goons' feel free to publish it. you will actually find 99% of linux people are more than happy to help others out, thats one of the big things with using OSS, sharing information and skills without looking for financial reward.

So to make it easier to use they made it more like Windows.... Err, Beyl and Compiz were out somewhat near 18 months before Vista brought similar eye candy to windows. I would also point out that seeing as it doesn't suffer from a single virus in the wild we can't have picked up Windows security model either(that is if Windows has a security model, I have yet to see evidence of one.)

I'm looking at my Gnome desktop and its not looking anything like a windows desktop.

please provide any information you feel backs up your codswallop

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..