Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 21:39   #1
God Member

Microsoft strike again

See they've been making a mess of things again
LINK

Here's the fix if its affecting you and you have zone alarm installed

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-07-2008, 21:54   #2
God Member

Re: Microsoft strike again

Read about this elsewhere and have been having problems with my PC but not installing anything myself will wait for the cavalary to rescue me tomorrow!!
Old 11-07-2008, 23:47   #3
God Member

Quote:
A spokesman for Microsoft said PC owners were not contacting it about any problems the update caused.
maybe because they couldnt use the internet lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:01   #4

Got a mail from ZoneAlarm regarding this, there were links to download various things to cure the issue, instructions for the removal of the specific update was. Another option listed in the mail is just altering the firewall setting for the Internet in ZoneAlarm back to medium from high.

I found the last option out myself the other night when I couldn’t get online.
Old 12-07-2008, 17:14   #5

Hang on...quote from the article :

"The flaw in the net's Domain Name System (DNS) was discovered in March 2008 and since then many firms have been preparing patches and updates to ensure it cannot be exploited by hi-tech criminals"

So why is it Microsoft`s fault that zonelabs didnt fix it earlier ? Other firms did. How long would it take to get the patch out if MS had to check every single package ? Most other firms work with Microsoft so they get the patches early to see what impact it has on their own software.
banjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 17:41   #6
Len
God Member

Thanks for this Ken.
I installed the (KB951748) update to my pc and laptop a couple of days ago and had the same problem ’no internet connection’ I did a system restore and searched for an answer.
It was suggested to set the Zone alarm internet security slider to medium as a temporary fix. I haven’t, decided to wait while they sort things out and haven’t re-installed the KB951748 update as yet.

Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 20:04   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoman View Post
Hang on...quote from the article :

"The flaw in the net's Domain Name System (DNS) was discovered in March 2008 and since then many firms have been preparing patches and updates to ensure it cannot be exploited by hi-tech criminals"

So why is it Microsoft`s fault that zonelabs didnt fix it earlier ? Other firms did. How long would it take to get the patch out if MS had to check every single package ? Most other firms work with Microsoft so they get the patches early to see what impact it has on their own software.

linux fanboys tend to jump all over microsoft even when its not microsofts fault

expect 3 more pages of linux praise

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 12-07-2008, 20:08   #8
God Member

I'm not gonna bite, you carry on yawning while I try and keep me face straight!

www.ubuntu.com

Old 12-07-2008, 20:28   #9
God Member

say what you like microsoft windows is number one , we know linux is more secure we get told all the time yet for some reason no one cares yet linux users think that we should

us poor thick microsoft users may get problems from time to time but lets face it if these problems stop us from turning into boring smug ass gits with nothing better to talk about than internet security and act all high and mighty when somone gets a pc problem then god bless microsoft for every single one of their faults

its a bit like the vhs / v2000 video player debate , sure the v2000 had features that were better than the vhs players but lets face it no one gave a damn and vhs remained No1 up until dvd came along

having said that along came windows vista and totlay blew any argument i had out of the sky lol

Old 12-07-2008, 21:32   #10
God Member

vhs was only no 1 in teh UK, elsewhere Beta blew it away. The reason was purely due to Sony's big headedness.

I can tell you teh tale if you so wish...

so I'm supposed to "thank" microsoft for being crap because it will stop me turning into a smug person with a stable and productive PC. right.....

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 21:48   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
I'm not gonna bite, !
told ya i meant a different fish lol

entwisi-

it is perectly ok for you to have a stable pc infact bravo for you but seriously after been told 10000000000000000 times its kinda old,if you want to help somone out then bravo for you but seriously when it comes to how great you linux is we kinda heard it before we just dont want to use it because were used to windows and despite its faults it gets us by

now excuse me while i go walk round the amputee ward tapping my right leg smugly pointing out that i am more stable and they should have 2 legs

nah im off to the pub realy for he last couple of hours for some pool and beer

adios

Old 12-07-2008, 22:09   #12
God Member

Thanks KSH installed the up-date and all is well
Old 12-07-2008, 22:43   #13
God Member

Microsoft strike again..cor blimey!..it was the dustbin men last week..now Micro bleedin Soft..what next?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 12:59   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Microsoft strike again..cor blimey!..it was the dustbin men last week..now Micro bleedin Soft..what next?
Er Library I think

www.ubuntu.com

Old 19-07-2008, 14:25   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
Er Library I think
Well thanks for the negative Karma for this comment, don't give a damn if you thought it was funny or not, bit gutless though not signing it

www.ubuntu.com

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..