Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-10-2007, 12:36   #31
God Member

Re: mobile phone advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
The shop on Blackburn Road will unlock it while you are there. They did mine, if you go to the stall on the market they will want to keep it for a few days.
Is that the shop near the arches at bottom of Eagle St?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-10-2007, 13:50   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Is that the shop near the arches at bottom of Eagle St?
More towards Wllows Lane
Old 16-10-2007, 13:55   #33
Resident Waffler

It may be that you've just got a phone that's tricky to unlock. There seem to be some that people won't touch with a barge pole.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 14:05   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
More towards Wllows Lane
The one that Flashy mentioned earlier
PC Cellular at 178 Bbn Rd ?
Fine - can park nearer because it is away from town centre
(I have pinpointed it because Platts club is 174a)
Thanks again

Old 18-10-2007, 11:26   #35
God Member

Today - I feel like chucking both phones OUT THE WINDOW!!!!!!!
Yesterday a friend said -' why dont you try putting your old sim card in the new phone'

After he had told me what a sim card looked like I felt confident enough to try.
result:-
The new phone will not switch on (it IS charged up)
The old phone (which was 'sort of' usable) now wont work at all after removing and then replacing the sim card - keeps telling me 'insert sim'

I have repacked the new one, found the receipt, and will try for a refund (after I regain my composure)

Old 18-10-2007, 12:03   #36
God Member

You sure you've put it in teh right way chuck ?

I probably have an old (to me) phone knocking around, I'll see what I can dig out.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 12:08   #37
God Member

Thanks for the offer Entwisti (Willow offered too )
Dont go out of your way - might get another new one with camera from son as a combined birthday/xmas pressie.

The sim is right way round

Old 18-10-2007, 16:30   #38
God Member

This miserable saga continues
I didnt get a refund at Woolies because the girl on the counter opened it up, jiggled the battery and got it going "this model is a bit temperamental that way".
I would have gone straight to the shop that unlocks but I didn't have my old 'brick' with me (well it doesnt work so why carry it about -doh)
At least I am getting out and about more than usual

Old 18-10-2007, 16:34   #39
Resident Waffler

If you're determined to buy one Margaret, I saw a Vodaphone Nokia one advertised for £19.99 at Curry's at Whitebirk today.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 16:50   #40
God Member

I was tempted by the fancy ones (with cameras) My son usually asks me what I want for bithday and xmas so was thinking of saying a phone.

But, thinking rationally I dont need a fancy one - just this cheapo one to work with my old sim card (with its £13 credit), which is what I set out to do when I started this thread.

Hopefully my plan is back on track, but I didn't think it would take this much effort. During the 8 years I have carried the 'quarter brick' in my handbag, I have only ever topped it up 3 times (it was always too big to fit in the special 'phone pockets' in my handbags)- a fancy phone would be wasted on me.

Hopefully this saga of my incompentance will end soon

Old 30-10-2007, 11:24   #41
God Member

That cheapo Woolies phone was UNLOCKABLE
A waste of £9.99 - the Blackburn Rd shop needed to keep it from Friday till the following Thursday because the young man takes such difficult phones to Manchester on Wednesdays only. When I phoned Thursday they said 'unlockable' - no charge - can collect the useless little ******** at my leisure.
I thought well if I buy a phone that is locked to my Tmobile sim card (with its £13) I will just be able to put in my old sim card (now I have learnt what one looks like and how to do that). So I went onto the Tmobile website and bought their cheapo at £14.99 - it arrived today - put my sim card in and waahey! it works.
It is more complicated to use than my old half brick so I have spent the last couple of hours trying to fathom it out - not been entirely successful yet, but at least the date and time are set . In error I sent 2 blank messages and a very brief call to a person I was trying to add to my list, so my £13 credit is down a bit .

So if anyone wants the cheapo with its Orange sim (no money on it) - I will sell it for the knockdown price of £4 - otherwise it will go to Tesco for 50p worth of vouchers (along with the half brick)

Old 30-10-2007, 22:16   #42

what dose it matter as long as it work,s i have a pal who would make is loo roll last if it,s two ply he would make another roll out of it,so you keep your phone its always there.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..