Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-10-2011, 15:54   #1
Senior Member+

Mystery files installed on my computer!

Hi, anyone else had this? Last week I found folder on my C drive and it won't let me access any of the files. Folder has a number

C:\8336d725f863741d7f26d309\

Nor will it let me delete it - it seems to have no function anyone know what it is?

Thanks!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-10-2011, 17:51   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Mystery files installed on my computer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Hi, anyone else had this? Last week I found folder on my C drive and it won't let me access any of the files. Folder has a number

Nor will it let me delete it - it seems to have no function anyone know what it is?

Thanks!
Obviously there's a reason why you can't remove it kestrelx, if you running Windows there are files that you can delete, but I'm no computer whiz
Old 19-10-2011, 19:48   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post

Thanks!
You've been looking in hidden files and folders, there are dozens of obscure files like that in comnputers, they may appear to be of no use to you but they are there for a purpose, delete it, and next time you switch on you may get the blue screen of death. The most important button on any thing you see on your computer is cancel, especially when you don't know what it is.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 05:16   #4
Resting in Peace

Have you had any updates from Microsoft lately?
it could be an update and if it is being used will not let you delete it
what operating system are you using ?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 08:16   #5
God Member

could also be a hibernate file or a chkdisc log

@retlaw, there are thousands of temprorary files that get left about eating up space that are of no use to anything. Whilst I'd agree that if you dont know what you are doing its better to ask it doesn;t mean you can't delete them

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 11:28   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
could also be a hibernate file or a chkdisc log

@retlaw, there are thousands of temprorary files that get left about eating up space that are of no use to anything. Whilst I'd agree that if you dont know what you are doing its better to ask it doesn;t mean you can't delete them
Yep I know about tempory files that clutter up registry etc, I have a program that clears all that rubbish out, I run it every couple of days, and its surprising the amount of crap it gets rid of, it also checks for virus's, and internet clutter at the same time, yesterday it got rid of 25meg of internet clutter.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 13:45   #7
God Member

theres a lot more than any program will remove........

technically the registry is not capable of holding a file, its just a name value pair repository

cookies can also be very useful so you dont want to just arbitrarily remove all cookies, ditto temp internet files.... your browser often uses this as a cache speeding up your browsing and saving your download bandwidth. its not all evil you know!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 14:43   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
You've been looking in hidden files and folders, there are dozens of obscure files like that in comnputers, they may appear to be of no use to you but they are there for a purpose, delete it, and next time you switch on you may get the blue screen of death. The most important button on any thing you see on your computer is cancel, especially when you don't know what it is.
Retlaw
It's not one of those hidden files - this has appeared in my C drive at the top of the list - now I've had the computer just over 1 year and this file has appeared in the last several weeks - it wan't there all year - so it can't be anything crucial to the operation of the machine - I don't think? Problem is none of the files indicate what the contents of this mystery file do!?
Old 29-10-2011, 14:48   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Have you had any updates from Microsoft lately?
it could be an update and if it is being used will not let you delete it
what operating system are you using ?
I've got Windows 7 Mick - yes i do get downloads...but I don't check them all!
Old 11-01-2012, 20:26   #10

I would just rename the file with a .bak extension, then see what happens. If no problems, delete. If you have issues, restore filename. Before doing any of this, right click on file in question to get it's properties, then hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc to check if there is any corresponding process running in windows task manager. I deleted a similar entry today which turned out to be an orphaned executable connected to some other installation.
skuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 20:47   #11

Its a temporary folder used by windows updates, where it expands the downloaded files then runs them. It should delete all the files when installation is completed. Otherwise its nothing to worry about.You can run Task manager and kill any process called "msiexec" and then try deleting the folder

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..