Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2008, 18:59   #1
God Member

PC boot up time

Anyone got any ideas or advice about what the average start-up time should be for an average PC , mine takes about 9 minutes from turning it on to it being loaded up so I can go on-line , done the usual deleted temp files and checked de-frag (says not neccesary ) ,
using windows XP , not computer savvy enough to convert to linux or any other systems

ps ....If anyone has any suggestions can you post them with step by step instructions , easy enough for an idiot to follow

Thanks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-06-2008, 19:04   #2
God Member

Re: PC boot up time

try and download windows defender update it and scan your computer .it should tell you whats wrong or if there is any spyware if not it sounds like youve got a worm or too many programmes on your start up . try some antvirus..
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 19:22   #3
God Member

About 30 seconds mine from log in screen

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 19:28   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
try and download windows defender update it and scan your computer .it should tell you whats wrong or if there is any spyware if not it sounds like youve got a worm or too many programmes on your start up . try some antvirus..
I have Norton installed as a virus/spyware protection and also my ISP ATTyahoo also has spyware installed , I run both these weekly , do I need to download the Windows Defender as well ?
thanks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 19:35   #5
God Member

I used Norton on Windows, made mine dead slow too

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 19:57   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
About 30 seconds mine from log in screen
He quoted from power on not log in.

Most people agree that Norton slows down Windows massively. Get rid of it and replace with something else. Maybe avgfree or one of the many other antivirus programs would be ok for you.
Old 12-06-2008, 20:00   #7
God Member

windows does slow down over time, only way is to do a clean re-install.

Obviously you need to back up your data first.

It does also depend on the spec of your PC but 2-3 mins should be plenty.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 15:45   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Anyone got any ideas or advice about what the average start-up time should be for an average PC , mine takes about 9 minutes from turning it on to it being loaded up so I can go on-line , done the usual deleted temp files and checked de-frag (says not neccesary ) ,
using windows XP , not computer savvy enough to convert to linux or any other systems

ps ....If anyone has any suggestions can you post them with step by step instructions , easy enough for an idiot to follow

Thanks
if its taking lieraly 9 mins to boot up then you MAY be about to suffer hard drive failure, i have had a few hard drives fail on me mainly maxtor drives and one of the early symptoms was that it took for ever to boot windows , the pre windows screens loaded fast enough but once it got to the windows logo screen where you get the line going across while it loaded windows took for ever , you may also have a ram problem

having said that and you dont actualy mean 9 mins but it seems to take ages im guessing you have lots of crap in your start up processes

remove norton imidiatly its useless and will slow your pc down a hell of a lot , avg is ok for a feebie

click start and select RUN then type msconfig into the box that pops up

goto the tabs and select the start up tab

click disable all

click apply then restart your pc

when your pc reboots a pop up will appear sayin you are using a selctive start up ,just tick the box at the bottom left of it and click OK

if it loads faster then you know it was somthing in your start up and start re enableing the services one by one that you think you will need

you can get a good idea of what you need to retick by where it says they are located as in most cases it will say located in a specific folder which is usaly named after the application and you can decide if you need that application to start at start up as i dont know whats on your computer or what you do with it lol

if that dosnt work then i would suggest a re install of windows but to be honest if its taking 9 mins to load i think its somting more serious than that

what processor are you using and how much memory/ram do you have as i am assuming you are using at least a 2000mhz processor but for all i know you may be using a realy old system with a 400mhz processor or somthing

also if you are unsure of what a start up service does type it into google and you will find an explination as to what it is for

also the latest msn messengers can be a pain in the bum for loading up , i would recomend going into msn messengers settings and unticking the box that says start up with windows

thats what i would do anyway

tried to explain as simply as possible hence the long reply lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 14-07-2008 at 15:50.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..