Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-12-2006, 01:05   #1
Senior Member+

Please Help!!! Internet Explorer!!

I got a usual message on my PC saying updates avaliable. And have some how ended up with Internet Explorer 7. I really, really don't like it. How do I get my normal internet explorer back??
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-12-2006, 02:07   #2
God Member

Re: Please Help!!! Internet Explorer!!

dunno if im right in saying this lolly and maybe it might pay to wait and see if entwise or someone with that sort of knowledge replies ....
But I would suggest that you try and download IE6 AGAIN AND OVERWRIGHT it..but like i say it may well be worth waiting till someone replies who knows more hun good luck......
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2006, 02:20   #3
God Member

It felt weird at first but after a short while I have got used to it now Lolly...just have to get used to this damn keyboard when full of ale!!!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2006, 02:25   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
It felt weird at first but after a short while I have got used to it now Lolly...just have to get used to this damn keyboard when full of ale!!!!

Yeah Ive got IE7 now and slowly getting used to it ..think like anything else just needs time ..l
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2006, 05:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
I got a usual message on my PC saying updates avaliable. And have some how ended up with Internet Explorer 7. I really, really don't like it. How do I get my normal internet explorer back??
(and for cherokee)

Before you go any further, please spend some time checking out the Internet Explorer 7 Web Site

James
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2006, 08:11   #6

There is a way of reverting back to IE6. My step-dad has done it a couple of times. Possibly you may have to go into Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and select remove IE7. Do not fully remove it, just see if there is an option in the uninstall procedure that allows you to revert back.

I am using IE7 and it does take a bit of getting used to, but it does have a couple of neat advantages over the other versions. It may be worth sticking with it for a few days before you remove it.

Also, make sure you go onto windows update after you revert back and make sure it ignores the IE7 update in future or it will probably just install on your next automatic update.
Old 30-12-2006, 13:18   #7

If you have the space -- and the inclination -- you might find it enlightening to install the latest versions of the most popular Graphical Browsers: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, etc. (depending on your OS) in order to investigate the look, feel and function of each one. You can then designate the one you like best as your default Browser -- you can switch the designation back and forth if you wish.

I have multiple Graphical Browsers (including Internet Explorer, Firefox & Opera), Textual Browsers and Screen Readers installed on my dedicated Web authoring computer that I use for Web page composition testing:

Graphical Browsers, Textual Browsers & Screen Readers

James
Old 30-12-2006, 13:36   #8
Resident Waffler

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has oodles of browers

I do tend to stick to Firefox though and I think it's just the old familiarity thing. I never used IE6 much so can't say I notice IE7 as being dramatically different. What is there that you don't like about it, or are you just like me and like to see something familiar when you start up?

I remember back when changing ISP was a scary prospect.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2006, 17:41   #9
God Member

Willow, I'm astounded that you can't see much of a difference, its about as different as you could get! They removed the menu bar by default. Buttons are no longer where they were, you have tabbed browsing etc.

Lolly, I do believe it is possible to revert(probably in Add/remove windows comonents in Control panel) but I would question the sanity of doing so. IE6 is insecure, IE7 is a heck of a lot better, IE6 will receive no further work on it and the new interface is ripped straight from Windows Vista(The new one just coming out) so you may as well get used to it now. As teh Borg say, Resistance is futile!

As others have also mentioned, try some of the other offerings, Firefox is becoming very popular(YES Kipax, we know............. ) I personally use Opera under both Windows and Linux and find it the best for me. I've used alsorts of browsers in my time and it really is a case of keep trying new ones till teh one you like suddenly jumps out at you.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2006, 18:54   #10

I mostly use Firefox as my default Browser because of the excellent Web Developer plug-ins that are available and its great drop-down menu toolbar. It also processes XML & RDF Documents very well.

I sometimes switch my default to Opera -- I like its interface.

James
Old 30-12-2006, 19:19   #11

I should mention that there was great disappointment among XHTML Web Author gurus when Microsoft decided to once more (as they had with Internet Explorer 6.x Browsers) not support the application/xml+xhtml MIME type for XHTML in their Internet Explorer 7 release -- thus effectively killing XHTML as a viable Markup language for the present. I personally was not too disturbed by this as I don't think the current iterations of XHTML are "ready for prime time" anyway (XHTML 2.0 may correct all the problems).

If you are interested, visit Serving XHTML Documents for a comprehensive explanation of the above.

James
Old 30-12-2006, 23:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesicus View Post
I should mention that there was great disappointment among XHTML Web Author gurus when Microsoft decided to once more (as they had with Internet Explorer 6.x Browsers) not support the application/xml+xhtml MIME type for XHTML in their Internet Explorer 7 release -- thus effectively killing XHTML as a viable Markup language for the present. I personally was not too disturbed by this as I don't think the current iterations of XHTML are "ready for prime time" anyway (XHTML 2.0 may correct all the problems).

If you are interested, visit Serving XHTML Documents for a comprehensive explanation of the above.

James
OMG, I've had a few to drink but I am sure that is all not English. Can someone translate for the drunken guy over here?
Old 30-12-2006, 23:33   #13
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Willow, I'm astounded that you can't see much of a difference, its about as different as you could get!

But when you don't use a thing you forget what it was like anyway! Well I do.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 00:18   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
OMG, I've had a few to drink but I am sure that is all not English. Can someone translate for the drunken guy over here?
Hey I'm with you anthony so one from one drunken girl to a drunken guy

CHEERS

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 10:11   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
But when you don't use a thing you forget what it was like anyway! Well I do.
Yes thats kinda why I don't like it. I just like what i'm used to. Although i've given it a day or so now and and am getting there with it. Thanks for everyones help.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..