Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 06:33   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Problems With Internet Connection

Just got up well at 5-45am made a brew went into front room switched TV on
No TV and no Broadband i am with virgin media the set top box said error Ld 20
but my broadband is separate some have broadband through the set top box mine is a separate one so it was funny i lost both anyway i rung the fault line to report it the problem is you can report a broadband fault OR a TV fault but not both you have to call a number then given 5 options so you have to report them separate anyway i went for the most urgent BROADBAND got this woman on the line telling me to do what i had already done undo the leads wait reconnect she said right it should be fine now i said nope its just the same power light on Ethernet light on sync light still flashing no ready light oh she said its a technical fault i will have to send someone out it will be between 12-4 pm today make sure your in if your not when he calls there is a £10 charge to your bill i assured her there would be someone in and came off the phone .
so now i was sat there no TV no broadband what to do i know i will sort all the junk out on the laptop
so i switched the TV off to do my bit and save me electric
and switched laptop on and started getting rid of junk
all of a sudden a message jumped up that the laptop had found my wireless network and had connected to the net i looked at the TV and yes that was back on too .
so i had to ring the woman back to cancel the technician .
No idea what the fault was just glad i got it all back

Last edited by Mick; 05-06-2008 at 06:36.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-06-2008, 06:50   #17
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
The computer fella just took one of the filters off, working fine now
I did say it was a common fault that.

Out of interest did he remove it from one end of an extension lead, the nasty horrible type with a double plug type thing at one end and a socket at the other?

The common mistake with those is to plug the microfilter into the main socket on the wall, then plug the extension lead into the phone connection on the microfilter. This has then removed the broadband signal from the phone extension lead. They then go to the other end of the extension lead and plug in another microfilter and plug the broadband modem into it. They then can not get the internet to work because they have filtered out the broadband signal from the extension lead with the first microfilter.

I hope that makes sense, if not I will try and explain it better.

By the way I don't like the the nasty horrible type extsion leads with a double plug type thing at one end and a socket at the other. They cause enough problems with phones never mind modems.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:31   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I can never understand that unless your have a wiring fault in the house. It is several miles from my house to the exchange so why will 20 metres of cable extra in the house make a difference?
Quote:
By the way I don't like the the nasty horrible type extsion leads with a double plug type thing at one end and a socket at the other. They cause enough problems with phones never mind modems.
Mmmm,

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 19:53   #19
God Member

Quote:
I did say it was a common fault that.

Out of interest did he remove it from one end of an extension lead, the nasty horrible type with a double plug type thing at one end and a socket at the other?

The common mistake with those is to plug the microfilter into the main socket on the wall, then plug the extension lead into the phone connection on the microfilter. This has then removed the broadband signal from the phone extension lead. They then go to the other end of the extension lead and plug in another microfilter and plug the broadband modem into it. They then can not get the internet to work because they have filtered out the broadband signal from the extension lead with the first microfilter.

I hope that makes sense, if not I will try and explain it better.

He moved it from the main socket and while I sort of get what you are saying can't understand why it was ok before
Old 05-06-2008, 20:10   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Mmmm,

What does Mmmm mean?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..