Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008, 18:11   #1
God Member

Problems With Internet Connection

Anybody give me any idea as to why my internet connection is playing silly beggars? I am with Sky and it started running slow last week. Thought it was my fault but don't think it is now. Been trying to get on-line all day without any joy. Tried again at tea-time and hey presto it is working again(how long for is another story).
Got a letter from Sky this morning saying they have moved me from Sky Broadband Connect to Sky Broadband Mid. The date they moved me tallies with when my problems started. Rang Sky and they are trying to tell me the router is in the wrong place but it worked fine before. Anybody any ideas because it is doing my head in ATM.
Old 02-06-2008, 19:46   #2
God Member

Re: Problems With Internet Connection

teh mid is a faster speed, what happens is that for teh first couple of weeks the router is trying to work out how fast it can connect to the exchange. It does take a couple of weeks to settle properly. One hint/tip is to turn it off at a quiet time and turn it on at about 7:30 pm. the priciple is that if you connect when its busiest then the signal/noise raio is at its worst. then when it gets better its always working 'in hand'. if you connect when its quiet it connects at a faster rate but teh noise that comes online in teh evenings upsets it.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 20:29   #3
Resident Waffler

I hope you get it sorted out soon Bernie.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 23:53   #4
God Member

Thanks for that both of you, still not happy as have been off-line all night again. Want it sorting, will phone Sky again later but not very happy with their excuse as it is working if and when it pleases. I am paying them for a service that I expect to receive.
Old 03-06-2008, 00:23   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
teh mid is a faster speed, what happens is that for teh first couple of weeks the router is trying to work out how fast it can connect to the exchange. It does take a couple of weeks to settle properly. One hint/tip is to turn it off at a quiet time and turn it on at about 7:30 pm. the priciple is that if you connect when its busiest then the signal/noise raio is at its worst. then when it gets better its always working 'in hand'. if you connect when its quiet it connects at a faster rate but teh noise that comes online in teh evenings upsets it.
Won't be using it much for next few days but do hope to be able use it when I can, surely I should have been told about the change over. It has cost me a few bob in phone calls. At the end of the day without all the ins and outs I am paying them for a service they are not providing and it is wrong. Went through all the settle the router down period when I first got connected to Sky and put up with it but don't see why I should have my service disrupted again. Hope you can see my point of view Entwisi, jiust a bit naffed off with it now
Old 03-06-2008, 05:14   #6
God Member

it sounds like its trying to push teh line speed too far and it can't cope. I know its a pain but try pluging it into the main socket wheer the line comes into the house. That will give you the best chance. Also leave it turned on for at least the first 2 weeks. Its not Skys fault that it takes time to settle, its just teh way that ADSL works.The fact that you have mpoved packages with a possible increase in speed means that its like being brand new again.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:04   #7
Senior Member+

I had the same problem with sky bernie, and when we rang up they went through the rigmarole of unplug this and plug that in leave it a couple of mins and all that palarva (which we did none of we just sat there and said yep done that done that and then hey presto it started working! i dont know what they did but they made it work because we didnt do anyhting they asked us!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:17   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I know its a pain but try pluging it into the main socket wheer the line comes into the house. That will give you the best chance.

I can never understand that unless your have a wiring fault in the house. It is several miles from my house to the exchange so why will 20 metres of cable extra in the house make a difference?

One thing people often do is put the micro filters in the wrong place. They usually get mixed up when they have extension lead type extensions (you know what I mean). They put a filter at both ends of them.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:55   #9
God Member

Exactly that Neil, most people buy a £2.99 extention lead, run it round the edge of a carpet( usually next to the nail bed carpet gripper) clipped by nailed cable grips. Often left in for upwards of 20 years and then it is expected to support 10Mbps. Pluging into teh main socket just clears any of this from clouding teh issue

Old 03-06-2008, 23:23   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMMIBOO View Post
I had the same problem with sky bernie, and when we rang up they went through the rigmarole of unplug this and plug that in leave it a couple of mins and all that palarva (which we did none of we just sat there and said yep done that done that and then hey presto it started working! i dont know what they did but they made it work because we didnt do anyhting they asked us!
Been there done that just wish they had said it would take time to settle down with the chage over
Old 03-06-2008, 23:26   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I can never understand that unless your have a wiring fault in the house. It is several miles from my house to the exchange so why will 20 metres of cable extra in the house make a difference?

One thing people often do is put the micro filters in the wrong place. They usually get mixed up when they have extension lead type extensions (you know what I mean). They put a filter at both ends of them.
My point exactly my router was running fine with the extensions and probably will again once things settle down. Another point why provide the filters in the first place?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:01   #12
God Member

You need filters for ADSL to work. Basically teh voice traffic runs on teh lower part of audio the spectrum and the data traffic on teh high. If you don't have a filter they can interfere, teh voice traffic slowing down teh data due to increased errors and teh data making teh voice line 'noisy'

Old 04-06-2008, 19:21   #13
God Member

Problem sorted so now a happy bunny
Old 04-06-2008, 20:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Problem sorted so now a happy bunny
Did you find out what the problem was?
Old 04-06-2008, 20:27   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Did you find out what the problem was?
The computer fella just took one of the filters off, working fine now

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..