Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 19:48   #1
Senior Member+

Raspberry PI

Anybody got one of these?

I just bought one off ebay that was £10-£15 more than the RS website asking price because the creators of the Raspberry PI were overwhelmed by the large amount of people that want one. There is 16 week waiting list when you place an order.

What is it? well it is not something you eat with custard

Quote:
The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card sized computer that plugs into your TV and a keyboard. It’s a capable little PC which can be used for many of the things that your desktop PC does, like spreadsheets, word-processing and games. It also plays high-definition video. We want to see it being used by kids all over the world to learn programming.
So hopefully it will arrive soon and I will have another gadget to play around with. You can install Linux based OS on a SD card. But I am most likely aiming to use this for XBMC or perhaps android 4.0 when it is released for the PI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg rasp-pi.jpeg (477.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-08-2012, 19:54   #2
God Member

Re: Raspberry PI

So it's not like Magnum PI then?
Old 12-08-2012, 19:57   #3
Resting In Peace

Ha ha my other half was telling me about this at lunchtime when we were discussing the MID tablet thread! Don't think he's got one yet though...
Old 12-08-2012, 20:02   #4
Senior Member+

Cool! They are quite innovative for the price. Not very powerful. But a very cheap computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Ha ha my other half was telling me about this at lunchtime when we were discussing the MID tablet thread! Don't think he's got one yet though...
ah but you could use it to watch Magnum PI

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
So it's not like Magnum PI then?
Old 12-08-2012, 20:39   #5

Yep - got one, and another on the way. It's OK I suppose, but once you get over its size and price, it's not that big a deal.

I can't see how it's going to be the catalyst for teaching a new generation of programmers. The arduino and its derivatives are more suitable for that.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 21:44   #6
Senior Member+

you obviously like it enough to get a second one. What made you buy one. What use do you have in mind for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Yep - got one, and another on the way. It's OK I suppose, but once you get over its size and price, it's not that big a deal.

I can't see how it's going to be the catalyst for teaching a new generation of programmers. The arduino and its derivatives are more suitable for that.
Old 12-08-2012, 23:34   #7

The first was originally bought as a solution to a data logging and presentation problem. The second one was bought (before the first one arrived) because they are cheap and I thought it might be worth having one for myself.

The lead time between paying for the first one and its arrival meant that I had to find another solution. A netduino had been bought, programmed and installed before the Pi arrived.

I might just put the second one on ebay when it arrives. Or donate it to Norden.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 18:21   #8
Senior Member+

Got away early from work and the R:PI turned up. I can get it working on a 16" 720p TV but not my 1080p 40" tv. Any tips Studio25??
Old 13-08-2012, 18:34   #9
Senior Member+

Couple of pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7775180674_9d843ab061_h.jpg (219.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 539238_10150953822057093_440482916_n.jpg (22.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 13-08-2012, 19:05   #10

I have three here,hoping to incorporate them into an Amateur Radio repeater rather than using a tower as at present.If you want help contact me but I don't pretend to be an expert.
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 21:25   #11
Senior Member+

Thanks. I managed to fix the problem editing bootconfig.txt
Old 13-08-2012, 21:51   #12
Senior Member+

Odd. That fix worked when I shut down the PI and then switch the hdmi. But not when I restart it with the TV. hehe Linux is a head blag at times
Old 13-08-2012, 22:07   #13
Senior Member+

OK I plug it in and it goes blank. It is still booting though. I have to login blind and then restart it with a command and then when it reboots it comes on the screen.
Old 13-08-2012, 22:57   #14
Senior Member+

Turns out I followed a duff guide and was missing out a / in the command... bleh.

This has turned out to be a bit of a blog of my raspberry pi adventure. hope peeps don't mind
Old 13-08-2012, 23:43   #15
Senior Member+

A little demonstration of it booting

sorry about all the double posts. 10 mins after posting rule stops it. Does accyweb have a no double post rule??

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..