Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-12-2008, 16:48   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Serious security flaw found in IE

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-P View Post
But Linux users 100% believe they are imune to all harm ...because.....they are linux users
I know. The geeky ones are probably safer. Its the normal people who have a go a Linux because people tell them its so good and do daft things like always log in as root because they don't think there is a problem with it.

Don't get me wrong I think Linux is good, I just have a problem getting it to install on the PC's I try it on
Old 16-12-2008, 16:53   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Don't get me wrong I think Linux is good, I just have a problem getting it to install on the PC's I try it on

Does it need a PC ? I thought it was so good it would run on a dumb terminal
Old 16-12-2008, 21:33   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i switched from I.E. to firefox a couple of years ago, have found it much better, defo get less crap, also faster, only ever go on I.E. very rarely when whatever i happen to be on aint compatible with owt else only I.E. which is very rare.
Old 16-12-2008, 22:20   #19
God Member

Quote:
He has yes because there are Linux viruses as well.
Point me at one in "live".............. certainly I'd like to see one capable of affecting my core install( my own files are fair game and as they should be properly backed up!)

with root comes responsibility, look at mandriva and Ubuntu and both make it difficult to "log in " as root. in fact you can't even find out the default root password which means that unless you know command line you aint becoming root no matter what.

The fact that I can deliberately and understandingly choose to take take total control of my system appeals to me. no more annoying " are you sure", "really Sure", "absolutely positive " messages for me! If choose to take that choice its up to me. e.g windows visa, make a change to a firewall config, its painful!!! UAC has done nothing fo rsecurity as its so painful most users turn it off without understanding what its doing.

PS, for those that don't know, "root" is a God user who can do absolutely ANYTHING in linux with no safety blanket, type "rm -rf / " and you competely delete the whole disk(and any network shares that are 'attached'), no recycle bin or anything.... however consider the power and used well its a god send.

want to rename thousands of files, no probs, if you want to do some serious work on your system then unlike windows its dead simple, root can do it. You should however never log in as root unless you know what you are doing and teh latest Linux do not let you unless you know what you are doing!!!!!!!!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 22:23   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Does it need a PC ? I thought it was so good it would run on a dumb terminal
just how intelligent is a microwave then? or a fridge or DVD or router or PVR.. or any of the other thousands of embedded devices that you don't even realise run it. I know you are more clued up than most, making fun is OK, just be sure to balance them with fairness........

Old 16-12-2008, 22:23   #21
God Member

Take a minute to look at this:

Major Web browsers fail password protection tests | Zero Day | ZDNet.com

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 22:24   #22
God Member

Quote:

Happy to come and do it for you or anyone else in accy.....

Old 17-12-2008, 07:19   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Happy to come and do it for you or anyone else in accy.....
It's on a machine I am playing with at work mate but thanks for the offer.
Old 17-12-2008, 07:21   #24
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
just how intelligent is a microwave then? or a fridge or DVD or router or PVR.. or any of the other thousands of embedded devices that you don't even realise run it. I know you are more clued up than most, making fun is OK, just be sure to balance them with fairness........
That's why I have it on 6 devices......that I know of.

One of them is even a PC
Old 17-12-2008, 09:54   #25
K-P

Quote:
PS, for those that don't know, "root" is a God user who can do absolutely ANYTHING

I used to have ssh access with root password to a lot of major servers.. But I can tell you a situation wiht even more power than you descibed..

Stood in the middle of telehouse surrounded by the internet backbone and knowing ten minutes with a small pair of cutters would bring the country to a standstill.. an hour later same thing at redbus

On the floor with all the racks of internet servers.. they are all in what look like lockers... but on the floor in the corner are the new unused lockers waiting for servers and all have two keys taped to them.. individual and a master.. anyone could lift a master key..

Plug your laptop into one of them and download a film in seconds
Old 17-12-2008, 10:33   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Mmm... this feels almost as good as when the staff at PC World wronglytell me I need anti-virus software.
lol never ever listen to anything them muppets tell you

they are very proud of norton internet security and push it on you with stories of how it can protect you completely

my brother bought norton under their advise and i slapped him hard around the head for been a thicko

i uninstalled his very expensive norton internet security and antivirus software and installed the free avast home edition antivirus which picked up 2 viruses and 56 trojans that norton quite happily let past its security

avast is also better than AVG which recently crashed thousands of peoples computers when installing a botched update from AVG deleting a needed boot file leaving computers unable to start up upon restart and also avast dosnt slow down your computers performance as much

as far as free antivirus software goes avast is becoming the more popular choice and is a lot better than a lot of expensive alternatives

if you are using norton try avast and see the difference in your computers performance increase

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 10:39   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I have been in an IT building for one of my previous employers.

It was really 2 buildings next to each other with an extra outer wall about 3 feet from the two buildings. From the outside it looking like one. It looked like it was military except it had no machine guns.

Inside everything was duplicated. If the main or backup mains supplies went down everything was backup up by UPS rooms.

The pair of diesel generators were kept warm using oil heaters. If the batteries failed to start the diesels then they were started using compressed air which as blown down 2 of the cylinders to turn the engines over. Big air receivers held the air in case they needed to start them this way.

It was very impressive and this was only the companies backup facility. The main facility was several miles away, they would not say where as only a handful of people know the location of both. They were not happy with the distance between them and were worried a natural (or not) disaster might take them both out. There were in the process of planning a new facility hundreds of miles away to be the backup. When the first were built the technology for fast comms over that distance was not available.
Old 17-12-2008, 11:15   #28
God Member

Well it looks like they been working round the clock to fix it .

BBC NEWS | Technology | Microsoft plans quick fix for IE
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 13:33   #29
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Right, I have just installed Firefox on my computer, after nearly everyone boasting about it

What i want to know is where is the email logo?? (outlook express)
I had in IE, but cant find it on here, where or how do i get it on, or do i have to click start and get it that way?
This is gonna get some getting used to, because at the moment it doesnt appeal to me
Old 17-12-2008, 14:20   #30
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

you have to go up the start menu you. You could always copy the shortcut from the start menu to your desktop to make it easy for you.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..