Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2010, 02:08   #1
God Member

thinking of buying the elonex android tablets the read this first

if you are thinking of buying one of the elonex tablets that are selling like hot cakes and very much in demand this xmas and are currently on offer at toys r us but also on sale at asda and next heres some info you should know before buying

they do two models the 10" and 7" and i have purchased both as xmas presents

1: toys r us will tell you they play flash on websites and will be pre loaded with google android v2.2 which allows this so you can play your games on facebook.This is a lie and as of yet there is no update on the elonex website to uprgrade your device to v.2.2 but there is an app to play youtube videos but thats about as good as it gets for flash

2:the 7" model is inredibly slow and although it boasts you can play video files such as avi files they will play but playback will be stuttery and laggy which i tested with over 20 diffferent avi files personaly.The 10" model will handle the same video files quite nicely.

3: i am typing this as i try to install a game on to the 7" model and so far it has taken over 20 mins which for a game of only 23mb in size is ridiculous to say the least

4: the 7" model gets pretty warm infact what some may consider hot so holding it for prolonged periods of surfing the net etc time may become unomfortable especialy for a child

5: so far i have not found any serious issues with the 10" model apart from the dissapointment at the lack of the v2.2 google android operating system and its lack of ability to play flash on websites

if you want a cheap alternative to the ipad then the 10" model is the better option of the two in my opinion and i will be returning my 7" model for a full refund tomorrow.The website is a little more honest than the sales guy that sold me mine but i hadnt seen the website i went off what i was told instore when i made the purchase

this is the devices in question

Elonex eTouch 7" Android Tablet PC - Toys R Us - Britain's greatest toy store

Elonex eTouch 10" Android Tablet PC - Toys R Us - Britain's greatest toy store

happy shopping

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 06-12-2010 at 02:13.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-12-2010, 01:02   #2

Re: thinking of buying the elonex android tablets the read this first

Sounds about right about the flash support. The Android software would need be updated to 2.2 to enable the flash to run.

You buy an Archos tablet for around £100-£110 which is 2.2 and will play flash 10.1

Link here

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/ar...try=us&lang=en

Last edited by phil8715; 08-12-2010 at 01:05.
phil8715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:17   #3

sorry the above posting was an error

Archos 32 £149.

ARCHOS 32 Internet Tablet buy online | Currys
Old 08-12-2010, 22:53   #4
God Member

lol the 10" ones are going for more than shop price on ebay i may stick the one i bought on at this rate.Somone has already offered me £180 for mine and all because the shops cant keep up with the demand for xmas.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 09-12-2010, 16:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
lol the 10" ones are going for more than shop price on ebay i may stick the one i bought on at this rate.Somone has already offered me £180 for mine and all because the shops cant keep up with the demand for xmas.
I'd snap their hands off sell it and buy the archos.

They ones in Toy R'us are just toys, they're a bit like those cheap £80 netbooks that has Linux installed and you can't install Windows, although there is a Windows ce version though.
Old 09-12-2010, 18:52   #6
God Member

sold it lol

still got two left as i pre ordered for a friend as well so i might part with another.The 10" is a good little machine but may be a touch too complex for my 7 year old

Old 09-12-2010, 22:57   #7

I reckon next year the tablet market will go mad.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:47   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8715 View Post
well it beats lumping a laptop around and theres anough wireless access around these days to justify having one

Old 10-12-2010, 13:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
well it beats lumping a laptop around and theres anough wireless access around these days to justify having one
Problem is tablets are not as versatile as even a netbook, with exception of the samsung Galaxy Tab.

What I mean is with most tablets, and that includes the iPad, the usb is not like a netbook/laptop, it has a usb port but only to link to a pc, it's not self contained, ie you couldn't plug a memory stick or a audio device into the tablet device.
Old 10-12-2010, 13:28   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8715 View Post
Problem is tablets are not as versatile as even a netbook, with exception of the samsung Galaxy Tab.

What I mean is with most tablets, and that includes the iPad, the usb is not like a netbook/laptop, it has a usb port but only to link to a pc, it's not self contained, ie you couldn't plug a memory stick or a audio device into the tablet device.
You sure about that?

I was using a cheap and nasty Android tablet and even that supported USB devices. I had a keyboard and mouse plugged it and they just worked with nothing to do at all except plug them in.
Old 10-12-2010, 14:12   #11

it if is, then it's news to me.
Old 10-12-2010, 22:15   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8715
Paracetamol and aspirin have been selling well for years.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 00:59   #13

I prefer the 3 in 1, asprin, paracetamol and caffeine combo. Very effective .

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..