Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 14:56   #1

Web Hosting?

Anyone know a reliable web host that gives you a free domain name and lets you pay annually?
Old 09-11-2008, 19:23   #2
God Member

Re: Web Hosting?

domain names are cheap anyway so be more prepared for teh ongoing hosting and its reliablility.

Depending on what you want to use it for try 110mb.com as they offer free hosting and one click install of most popular forums/gallery/etc.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:54   #3

I use FirmEdge.com and Netweaver.com. Both are very reliable, and inexpensive.

It works out at £60 per year for a self-maintained host package from FirmEdge. I think they have cheaper plans, but (when I get my a$$ in gear) I'm planning to put a lot of images on the site and want to run a content-management system so my wife can modify the site without asking me to author the pages.

It costs £35 per year for a simpler HTML/eMail only package from Netweaver in Padiham. This is good for most small businesses who want email, a web presence and domain. I think they register the domain for free when you sign on for their hosting. Netweaver also have cheaper plans.

Both are extremely reliable. (How often is AccyWeb "down"? I think that's on FirmEdge servers.) The support from FirmEdge is quicker than NetWeaver, who only offer email support in the afternoons.

Beware free hosting. There was a study a couple about three years ago, when broadband penetration overtook dialup, of how long a casual browser will wait for a website. I think it came out at three seconds for the page to show anything at all, and another five seconds for it to complete loading. Not sure if that's still valid, but if you're on very cheap or free servers, you're sharing the physical machine and its connection to the internet with a large number of other subscribers. The more you pay, the lower that number, until for a premium price, you have a machine to yourself.

The price you pay is directly linked to how much space you need on the server, the speed of its connection to the internet, the monthly transfer allowance, and the "contention ratio" (how many other users you're sharing the server with).

Firmedge requires a bit more techy knowledge, but I'd still recommend that over Netweaver, simply because you have a wealth of knowledge on AccyWeb who can help you if you need it. However, if price is paramount and you only want simple HTML pages and email, Netweaver is the one.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 19:56   #4
God Member

I use 34sp it costs £17.95 per year, but if you carry their advert in your home page, they'll credit you with a penny-a-day, saving you £3.65/6.

It's not great if you have a shed-load of content, and expect lots of hits and downloads, But for a basic web presence, I have no complaints.

Also a .co.uk domain costs around a tenner for 2 years.

I can't remember any downtime in the 7 years I've been using them.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 20:16   #5

I use United Hosting. £11 a month and pretty good. I think you can choose to pay anually.

UK Web Hosting - UK Reseller Hosting - UK Managed Dedicated Servers - UK Domain Registration Services
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 18:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redash View Post
I use 34sp it costs £17.95 per year, but if you carry their advert in your home page, they'll credit you with a penny-a-day, saving you £3.65/6.

It's not great if you have a shed-load of content, and expect lots of hits and downloads, But for a basic web presence, I have no complaints.

Also a .co.uk domain costs around a tenner for 2 years.

I can't remember any downtime in the 7 years I've been using them.
I purchased a .co.uk for 5.50 for 2 years 2 days ago

I'm about to go with geekstorage - can't find a bad word said about them and with the promocode WHT50MORE get half price on the first invoice (which can be for 2 years hosting) and 50% more bandwidth and 50% more storage. If you do decide to go with them would appreciate it if you did it through the following link - I'd get 25% of each bill you pay http://www.geekstorage.com/account/aff.php?aff=153 but don't think that is affecting my recommendation - I started writing this post before I even knew there was an affiliates program XD
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 20:20   #7
God Member

I buy domains fromwww.names.co.uk, you get a free first page, email or you can point the domain to other websites (preferrably your own), they offer free hosting packages but I dont use those, the cost is normally 5.48 for 2 years for a co.uk, and 14.95 for a .com, I have a lot, so get discount.
Old 17-11-2008, 22:04   #8
God Member

I have to ask Derek, what do you use all the domains for? You mentioned a silly number in another thread

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 07:11   #9
God Member

Ya nosey sod!! haha, wouldnt be good to say here, will pm you.
Old 18-11-2008, 09:07   #10
K-P

Never trust a host that offers "unlimited" bandwidth, disk space or anything else. There either stupid or lying.
Old 22-11-2008, 17:25   #11

I've got my mate to host me, i'm paying him for it.
Blackmail Network - Powered by vBulletin

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..