Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-10-2011, 10:38   #61

Re: What Happens When You Change ISP?

Your first step is to ensure it's a genuine BT email. It probably is, as you've been with them for such a short time, but it's worth checking.

Keeping a website open for a long time won't generate more traffic. I can't see how reading a book online is going to take up much of your allowance, either.

Watching iPlayer will use up a lot of transfer allowance. A typical program will be 200 MB or so, but that may vary based on resolution, duration and actual content (an hour of "Question Time" in HD will use much less transfer than, say, an hour of "Spooks" in HD just because there are a lot of static shots).

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-10-2011, 11:02   #62

If on average you watch a couple of 200 MB programs a day, and use 50 MB on "other stuff" - that would exactly yield the sort of usage pattern they describe. If that's way in excess of what you watch - it's possible someone else is using your wireless. By default BT wireless routers have an enabled channel through which other BT subscribers can use WiFi when they are on the move. You can (and should) switch this off, but although the cynic inside me is saying "yeah, right", I'm sure that BT will separate your own usage from public usage for the purpose of calculating whether you're near your limit.

BT's old silver 2line router has both WEP and WPA enabled. WEP is easily hacked, so assuming they still enable both protocols, someone could be using that WiFi channel and stealing your broadband. I never found a way to switch off the WEP channel.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 11:19   #63
God Member

Thanks for the info - BBC iplayer could well be the cause, and I often have BBC news 24 playing in the background when browsing.
My TV is now in use for that.
Maybe when Neil sees this he will instruct me how to disable wifi (I use an ethernet cable)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 17:24   #64

My parents have had the same notification off BT numerous times. I contacted BT for them, and was told they could see it was from them watching iPlayer, Catch up TV and the like, they even supplied me with some times and dates of heavy usage, once I quizzed them, they agreed that is what they had been doing. So it is genuine, and I checked their wifi and it was secure, as I knew it would be because I did the setup, hope this helps.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 17:29   #65

Yes use your TV for watching live programs, If there is something you are unable to watch, buy a device to record the programs for you, there are many out their depending on how you receive broadcasts.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 18:04   #66
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by odders View Post
Yes use your TV for watching live programs, If there is something you are unable to watch, buy a device to record the programs for you, there are many out their depending on how you receive broadcasts.
Sounds like a lot of sense in that odders, As I said in an earlier post Ive been with BT nearly 5 years and never had any such notification, but there again I've never used the catch up system on my computer, if there is something I want to watch I record it on Sky + but there are other systems out there
Old 24-10-2011, 23:17   #67
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
This switch to BT has a previously unnoticed disadvantage.
I have been with them for 2 weeks and 3 days and have received mail which tells me that I have used 7.76 of my 10 monthly usage allowance.
Unless I modify my usage I will be paying extra £5 a month every month my usage exceeds 10.
It will be your iPlayer and BBC News

I refer to my previous comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
If Orange want to send you a new box and they have been good for 10 years why change provider, let them send you a new box and have nothing changed.
Old 24-10-2011, 23:22   #68
God Member

I still don't regret switching.
I was having my Orange connection shutting itself down a few times a day - most annoying.

The Orange helpline person said that it was because my webrowser needed updating.
I no longer had any confidence in Orange.

Old 24-10-2011, 23:44   #69
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I still don't regret switching.
I was having my Orange connection shutting itself down a few times a day - most annoying.

The Orange helpline person said that it was because my webrowser needed updating.
I no longer had any confidence in Orange.
In my opinion you should have taken the new router and see if it fixed it, if not you could have changed isp and had all the fun of BT and its naff ness.

Sometimes cheapest is not the best option. You are a fairly heavy user and chose the wrong BT option. Maybe you should change to an unlimited so you can browse how you used to without worrying.
Old 24-10-2011, 23:53   #70
God Member

It all boils down to being too idle to switch on the TV
I don't keep it on standby, so would have to stand up and move to do it.
So this may be for my own good

I have got four months free broadband from BT - that's £52 in pocket.
The monthly charge that Orange offered me was 50p less than BT - but I moved for a more reliable connection.

Old 12-11-2011, 21:55   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Your home hub is now filling your flat with wifi electromagnetic radiation and sharing your internet connection with fellow btfon users
I disabled btfon within a few days.
Today I have found out how to disable the wireless facility of the home hub - and done it.
I found out how by looking at BT customer forums.

Now no-one can piggyback my connection, and I stop the EMF radiation.
I'm feeling a proper clever clogs

Old 13-11-2011, 09:38   #72
Beacon of light

Margaret, I raise my cap to you...you are a proper clever clogs!...and I mean that with the utmost repsect.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 09:59   #73
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I disabled btfon within a few days.
Today I have found out how to disable the wireless facility of the home hub - and done it.
I found out how by looking at BT customer forums.

Now no-one can piggyback my connection, and I stop the EMF radiation.
I'm feeling a proper clever clogs
Um I just got accyman to do it for me
Old 13-11-2011, 10:16   #74
Beacon of light

Well John....there is a fine lancashire saying....'Why keep a dog and bark yourself'....not that I think Accyman is a dog....jus that I think that if you can get someone to do it for you....then good luck. Me? I prefer to learn to do things for myself, then if I have to do it again........I have forgotten how to, and have to learn all over again. Ah the joys of being a crumbly!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 11:43   #75
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well John....there is a fine lancashire saying....'Why keep a dog and bark yourself'....not that I think Accyman is a dog....just that I think that if you can get someone to do it for you....then good luck. Me? I prefer to learn to do things for myself, then if I have to do it again........I have forgotten how to, and have to learn all over again. Ah the joys of being a crumbly!
The only reason I got accyman to help out is that, believe it or not I'm not physically able to start messing about pulling wires out and replacing them, plus he set up a hard line for me (ethernet cable) which is better, I was using wireless and losing the connection 2 or 3 times a day

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..