Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 11:22   #1
God Member

Question What Happens When You Change ISP?

I have been having problems with my Orange broadband connection for the past week.

I had a long technical help call with an Indian chap a few days ago.
He had me checking ethernet cables, phone line, and switching their box on and off again - that last suggestion worked.

Today I had connection problems again so did the on/off procedure again without result - concluded I need a new box.

Rather than have another long conversation with 'India' I decided to switch ISP to BT

I am not seeking the cheapest - I need the most reliable with better service.

When I phoned Orange to get my MAC code I discovered that Orange broadband was down for more than just me.

During the time I had no broadband connection I phoned BT (free) and discussed my needs - decided to switch.

Now that the Orange fault has been repaired - I haven't changed my mind and will be switching.

Orange have been offering me a better deal but I don't want it.
My survival depends on internet shopping and banking.

I have been with the same ISP for 15 years and have never switched.
I have read of people being off line for several days whilst switching.
Is this to be expected, or just a hitch in the switching process?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-10-2011, 13:45   #2
God Member

Re: Bt contract

I've switched twice, both times it was off for a couple of hours at most.

you could consider a "backup" 3G PAYG dongle in case of real emergency... they can be topped up easily in event of an emergency and will keep you in touch with teh supermarkets etc

You may want to read this though

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15154020

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

Last edited by entwisi; 03-10-2011 at 13:51.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 14:15   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: What Happens When You Change ISP?

I have moved your posts to a new thread instead of digging up an old one on a similar subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Today I had connection problems again so did the on/off procedure again without result - concluded I need a new box.
I think I has worked out what your problem is.
To reset your box you have to switch if off then on, switching it on/off as you did will leave it switched off so it cant work

If Orange want to send you a new box and they have been good for 10 years why change provider, let them send you a new box and have nothing changed.
Do you use an orange email address because that will change.

I just looked at your details - do you still use that old email address you have registered to the site, I did not know they would still work? I am guessing they became Orange which is why they still work.

On a personal note I prefer using Windows Live email or Google gmail myself, that way if you do change ISP you keep the same email address, there are other benefits as well.

Last edited by Neil; 03-10-2011 at 14:21.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 14:24   #4
God Member

Re: Bt contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I've switched twice, both times it was off for a couple of hours at most.

you could consider a "backup" 3G PAYG dongle in case of real emergency... they can be topped up easily in event of an emergency and will keep you in touch with teh supermarkets etc

You may want to read this though

BBC News - BT suffers major broadband outage

Oh dear might need a rethink

Thanks Neil - will read up on google mail

Old 03-10-2011, 15:02   #5
God Member

Orange continued to support many old email addys like Lineone that were taken over and then taken over again.

Personally I'm not a fan of webmail systems so I just run my own domain for email. Costs are negligable and I have full control no matter how/where I connect.

I've been with Sky for ISP now for a number of years and its been reliable and quick. They do try blocking normal SMTP traffic but do support the alternative ports.

At the end of the day all ISPs could potentially suffer outage and there is always the chance of an act of god/idiot causing issues like my firiend who was without Internet at home for weeks due to some idiot nicking the copper wire.

Old 03-10-2011, 15:15   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

My company - not sure if you know who they are but I don't discuss online - has moved all corporate email to google and is ditching all its exchange servers just keeping an archive system for a while. I have heard it is supposed to be costing them a 1/10 of what it did per email account than it did for using exchange.
Old 03-10-2011, 17:58   #7
Resting in Peace

Margaret, I had all the same problems with BT, including talking to somebody a million miles away who's, to be honest, use of the English language leaves a lot to be desired, I was on to India for 1hr 5 mins on Friday, and a call back from an engineer at six, when I made an appointment for a call back at 2pm Sunday when somebody was around to do all the bending down etc that they wanted me to do. Unfortunately they didn't bother to call on Sunday, so I decided to swap to Sky, after agreeing all the terms I just mentioned that the phone line had to support my emergency call system, which is imperative, unfortunately Sky were unable to provide this service so all bets were off. Back to square one
Old 03-10-2011, 19:20   #8
Senior Member+

MargaretR, I switched to BT when we moved in January, after talktalk messed me about with the contract and wanted 3 weeks to reconnect me.BT said 5 days and did it, similar price. No trouble so far.
Also my thought is that BT own the exchanges and lines so if there are any problems you are talking directly to the supplier, not the ISP who rents from BT, and as a BT customer you might get sorted first.talktalk blamed BT for the 3 week wait they required.
The service jaysay received is disappointing but I suspect they are all as bad.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 19:39   #9
Senior Member+

I switched to BT when Talk Talk took over Tiscali, I had been with Lineone for 13 years and Tiscali took over them, I always kept the Lineone email address.

Talk Talk left me without email for 3 weeks and I could not get anywhere when I tried to phone them.
I joined BT on the 1st Dec 2010 and have all day calls, line rental and broadband for £29 a month. I have never lost connection and have checked to download speed weekly and it is just over 10Mb.
BT customers also get free access to all the Openzone and BT Fon Wi Fi points which is not much use to people who don't take a PC out of doors but it is there if you need it.
I have a mobile phone which has Wi Fi and it is useful to check email when I am on holidays.

I have had no reason to complain about anything regarding BT.
Talk Talk send me an email every month saying they have not been able to get the monthly fee from my account which I closed last December and cancelled the D/D. I never reply for fear of them starting a new two year contract.
Old 03-10-2011, 20:33   #10
God Member

Since I started this thread I have phoned BT (free) again and they assure me that any time without an internet connection will be no more than a few minutes.

The positive experiences that some of you have reported with BT have swng my decision back to switching to them again.

I appreciate your feedback - thank you

Old 03-10-2011, 21:53   #11
Beacon of light

I have been with BT since the 7O's for my phone and I have only ever had BT for my internet. I know they might not be the cheapest, but I have never had a problem with them at all......at one point I was having trouble with my wireless connection.......I contacted them( a very pleasant lady with a mild scottish accent - not india) in 48 hours they had sent me a brand new wireless hub...free of charge. Problem solved.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:05   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have been with BT since the 7O's for my phone and I have only ever had BT for my internet. I know they might not be the cheapest, but I have never had a problem with them at all......at one point I was having trouble with my wireless connection.......I contacted them( a very pleasant lady with a mild scottish accent - not india) in 48 hours they had sent me a brand new wireless hub...free of charge. Problem solved.
You had better luck than me Margaret, I have never had any complaints about BT until last week, the main problem is finding somebody at the other end of a phone who A) you can understand and B) some one on the other end that understands you, last Friday I got neither and as for sorting out my problem, which is still with me, since I talked to an engineer (that's what he said he was) I have had no further contact what-so-ever, even though they set a time to ring me on Sunday. I know exactly whats wrong the hub is a bit like my chest its knackered, I'd even pay for a new one. I think the real problem at BT is they are more interested in gaining new customers or attracting people back than looking after their current customers. But for the fact that Sky could not support my emergency life line I would have swapped to Sky without another though about it, but it looks like I'm stuck where I am for the time being
Old 04-10-2011, 09:20   #13
God Member

Why dont you swap to Sky for Internet but leave your phone with BT? I was like that for years. I only swapped the phone over because it was a little cheapere and I got a good deal to do so.

Ian

Old 04-10-2011, 09:38   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Why dont you swap to Sky for Internet but leave your phone with BT? I was like that for years. I only swapped the phone over because it was a little cheapere and I got a good deal to do so.

Ian
I don't think Sky are interested in deals like that these days Ian, I chatted to this chap (who by the way spoke with a lovely english accent) and the fact of just the internet without phone was never an option
Old 04-10-2011, 10:23   #15
God Member

I'd be surprised if they would say No to you if you made it clear that its just internet access or nothing. I believe you already have SKY TV package so they would be keen to get a bit more from you.

At worst, how much is BT Internet, you may be able to get a second line in from Sky for Internet and phone and just keep the BT line on the lowest cost package for the lifeline system for less tahn BT charge for Internet alone. That way you woud have extra resilience built in should a catastrophe happen to the BT line

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..