Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 14:25   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Windows 7 home premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Margaret knowing your fondness for techy stuff I'm surprised you haven't treated yourself to a tablet by now...
I have a generic tablet already. I bought it so that I could show Ma some of the pictures that I take before I put them on disk for her.
It didn't cost a lot and I take it away with me when we go away......some places have free wifi and I sometimes connect up just because I'm nosey and want to see what is going on.

I was looking at camera's in Jessops(I like to look even if I have no intention of buying) just before Christmas and the camera that Mick bought had a Samsung Galaxy Tablet with it.......but I wasn't really looking at buying a new Camera....I am quite happy with what I have at present.

I have been looking at laptops, but seeing as I don't use them much, I thought I would hang onto the money(unless I see something that is a real bargain...or has some new innovation that I can't resist)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-01-2013, 14:53   #17
Resting In Peace

Oh yes I remember now Margaret - you posted some pics of it when Flashy was after info on tablets.

As for me, I have a desktop PC but also a little notebook which I absolutely love - it's great for using in bed.
Old 01-01-2013, 14:57   #18
Beacon of light

I have recently looked at the Asus transformer.....a tablet with a docking keyboard......it runs on an android operating system.......I just can't justify buying one, they are versatile, but they are a bit expensive. I'm not sure how much use it would get.
Old 01-01-2013, 14:57   #19
Senior Member+

What generic tablet is it. There is worlds difference in a cheap china one and the nexus7, kindle fireHD(of which I DO NOT reccomend if you hate marketing and advertising) etc
Old 01-01-2013, 18:27   #20
Beacon of light

I don't know, it doesn't have a brand (Mobile Internet Device)...it wasn't expensive.
It runs Froyo......and it connects to the internet reasonably.......I can load photo's onto it to show Ma...this is really good because my sister frequently send pic from Oz and it means she can see them as soon as they arrive(I don't have to wait for more pics to fill up a disk for her).......the children like it because they can play Angry Birds and lots of other games on it........and music too...they like the music....and they love the camera on it.
So if it conked out tomorrow, I think I have every penny of value out of it.

You can get the Kindle fire without the advertising....you just pay an extra tenner...and even if you buy it with the adverts on, you can opt out of them at a later date by paying the tenner.
Old 01-01-2013, 19:32   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It runs Froyo
must have had it a while then?

Quote:
paying the tenner.
I would rather do this to myself

hehe. I am happy waiting for stable mod and get a custom rom running on this thing. For now I shall have to put up with the obnoxiousness advertising. The full screen "lock screen" adverts......
Old 01-01-2013, 20:02   #22
Beacon of light

Yes, I have had it for quite a while.
I thought the advertising was supposed to be non intrusive on the Kindle Fire.
I think I would prefer to get something else if I was in the market for a tablet......not sure what, but until then what I have fits the bill for my limited requirements(and if I bought something newer the tinlids wouldn't get a look in - they would have to make do with the older one)
Old 01-01-2013, 20:02   #23
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
I would rather do this to myself

Please don't Rob, fried beards don't smell very nice and anyway we want you to stick around...
Restless likes this.
Old 01-01-2013, 21:10   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
I thought the advertising was supposed to be non intrusive on the Kindle Fire.

Another annoying thing is... It is very heavily skinned. It is hardly recognizable as an android device. They block google apps from being installed...Playstore, gmail, youtube(why not have youtube in your app store==this is totally stupid)

Se what you make of it....Would you say this is non intrusive? and would you be happy paying £10 to remove it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Please don't Rob, fried beards don't smell very nice and anyway we want you to stick around...
Cant find a way to close the door

Last edited by Restless; 01-01-2013 at 21:16.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 21:35   #25
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Cant find a way to close the door
Oh right - so that why they don't put handles on the inside of the door!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:01   #26
Beacon of light

I would not be happy to have adverts on at all and I think I would pay the money to be without them....or better yet, buy something that wasn't so tied to Amazon apps.
Saying that, I am sure I read on one of the feedbacks for Kindle Fire Hd, that there is some way to make the Kindle accept the other android apps(someting to download that tweaks the system) and also to be able to play youtube on it.
I will have a look later and post a link if and when I find it.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:04   #27
Beacon of light

My friend got a Kindle Fire Hd for Christmas(being a bit of a gadget freak,I was a bit envious, but now I'm not so sure) but she hasn't set it up yet....I will see what she thinks of it........I think her husband may have paid the premium to have the machine without the adverts.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:16   #28
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I think the Nexus 7 is a better tablet but the kindle fire might be a bit bigger than 7"
Old 02-01-2013, 09:46   #29
Beacon of light

The display on the Kindle Fire Hd is 7 inch , but the machine is bigger than seven inch.
As far as being able to look at Youtube and other none amazon apps.......the word is to download dolphin browser and use this along with VLC for youtube.......now I can't enlighten you on if these work, but feedback from the amazon site says they do.

I found this too...maybe it will help you Rob(I know you are much more technically adventurous than me)
This guide helped me to side load How To Sideload Android Apps on the Amazon Kindle Fire in 3 Steps - Tested
Old 02-01-2013, 09:53   #30
Beacon of light

Another ecommendation is to download Es File explorer...so that you can find the files you have on the machine.

Le me know how you get on Rob...I will be interested.(mainly because I'm nosey...though I call it curious)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..