Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 10:24   #31
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Windows 7 home premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Another ecommendation is to download Es File explorer...so that you can find the files you have on the machine.

Le me know how you get on Rob...I will be interested.(mainly because I'm nosey...though I call it curious)
I use ES File Explorer a lot on both my phone and tablet. It is very similar to using Windows Explorer to find all the files on your device.

Just looking on Currys and the Kindle Fire HD and Google Nexus 7, both 32GB are both £199.

I think the Nexus 7 beats the Kindle hands down. You can get a kindle app for the Nexus (other Android tablets are available )
Old 02-01-2013, 10:44   #32
Beacon of light

Neil, you are right...I think the nexus is a much better deal.
I think the Kindle Fire has been over hyped. I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed in it...those who have bought it as an e-reader will find that it isn't all that(especially in bright light) and those who have bought it for its properties as a tablet will be disappointed because it won't do what they want a tablet to do.
I will stick with my Kindle for reading........and I might just buy an Asus transformer as a tablet...without the dock, it can be had for about the same price as a Kindle Fire HD and it looks like it has a lot more potential.
(although, I am happy to be corrected if anyone knows otherwise)
My generic tablet has the ES file explorer on it and the dolphin browser too
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:04   #33
Resting in Peace

My iPad work's great on everything e-reader, browser, games
viewing accyweb will do all i want without having to muck about
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 14:52   #34
Beacon of light

Yes well Mick...they are a bit on the expensive side.
Old 02-01-2013, 16:10   #35
God Member

So does my tablet and siobhans generic Chinese one and Joseph's zoostorm tab. People seen to make things much more hassle than they need to be.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 18:51   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
properties as a tablet will be disappointed because it won't do what they want a tablet to do.
Noooooooo. That ain't exactly so Margaret. It will do all the things people want a tablet to do. End of the day it is an Android tablet. Unfortunately a very heavily skinned Android tablet. More the fans of google and/or geek/nerd(seems you are getting there yourself hehe) people will be disappointed.

Like you said earlier in the thread... You can install from sources outside the Amazon market. Option is there in the settings(thankfully they never blocked that-- I would've demanded my money back) though cannot install playstore without rooting the tablet(of which currently is somewhat unstable, so I am not going there) but I did install AndroidPIT. AndroidPIT Is a decent alternative to playstore and they take maestro debit cards where Google do not. I bought tapatalk from there....

If you have a rooted device. You can use titanium backup to back up an app you have paid for and back it up to a APK(a little like an EXE) so you can then transfer that to the kindle fire and then use a file manager like ES(of which I use) to install on the Kindle.
Old 02-01-2013, 18:58   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Another ecommendation is to download Es File explorer...so that you can find the files you have on the machine.

Le me know how you get on Rob...I will be interested.(mainly because I'm nosey...though I call it curious)
I already use ES. For its root capabilties on my phone

As for the KindleFireHD verses the nexus7...

Nexus7 Is a great tablet. I had bought one second hand (£70) but turned out to be faulty. Touch screen in a certain place and it went nuts controlling itself. Managed to get £80 for it though

Mum n Dad gave me and Argos voucher, so I put a little money towards and bought the FireHD. I think the screen looks a little better on the kindle. Though the nexus is QC the KFHD will give it a run for its money once devs have hacked the bootloader and a stable custom rom is made available. That is why I won't pay the £10. Eventually it will look like an android tablet. Amazon said that it is unbreakable. But that will only create challenge for Android developers and....well apple said that about the older ipads and ipods
Old 02-01-2013, 19:07   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Don't forget Catchup TV Mick, or the Sky Go you can watch on the iPad.
I bought myself a Kensington leather case with bluetooth keyboard for mine and use the iPad as a bed side TV, the case doubles as a stand.
I also use it as a bedside radio.

I am told that because catchup TV is 30 seconds behind real time TV you don't need a TV licence but as I have a two TV's I still have a licence.
I have installed the free Kindle app on the iPad and have dozens of books on it.
Old 02-01-2013, 19:22   #39
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Noooooooo. That ain't exactly so Margaret. It will do all the things people want a tablet to do. End of the day it is an Android tablet. Unfortunately a very heavily skinned Android tablet. More the fans of google and/or geek/nerd(seems you are getting there yourself hehe) people will be disappointed.

Like you said earlier in the thread... You can install from sources outside the Amazon market. Option is there in the settings(thankfully they never blocked that-- I would've demanded my money back) though cannot install playstore without rooting the tablet(of which currently is somewhat unstable, so I am not going there) but I did install AndroidPIT. AndroidPIT Is a decent alternative to playstore and they take maestro debit cards where Google do not. I bought tapatalk from there....

If you have a rooted device. You can use titanium backup to back up an app you have paid for and back it up to a APK(a little like an EXE) so you can then transfer that to the kindle fire and then use a file manager like ES(of which I use) to install on the Kindle.
I am not quite sure what is meant by 'heavily skinned' so I can't comment on that........I felt sure that you would have done something about getting what you want from this machine...and that is all well and good if you can do that, but I am sure that many people will buy it from the rave reviews some media have given it, and then find out that it isn't quite what is was supposed to be.
I would be disappointed if I had to tweak something to make it more to my taste.......and some of the things I might not feel that confident about doing(not saying I wouldn't have a go...guided by youtube perhaps - on my desktop).
I feel a bit proud(only a wee bit) that you think I am heading in the direction of geek/nerd........especially considering that I used to consider my self a techophobe.
Old 02-01-2013, 19:27   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I am told that because catchup TV is 30 seconds behind real time TV you don't need a TV licence but as I have a two TV's I still have a licence.
That isn't true. For any live broadcast you need TV Licence. Its on the TV licence website

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlic
The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders.

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.
TVCatchup(the site) is poorly named IMO, since Its not a catchup site. I have seen a member banned from TV Catchup forums for boasting he/she never had a tv licence and they do advise you to make sure you have one when you sign up(If i remember correctly)
Old 02-01-2013, 19:40   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
I am not quite sure what is meant by 'heavily skinned' so I can't comment on that........I felt sure that you would have done something about getting what you want from this machine...and that is all well and good if you can do that, but I am sure that many people will buy it from the rave reviews some media have given it, and then find out that it isn't quite what is was supposed to be.
I would be disappointed if I had to tweak something to make it more to my taste.......and some of the things I might not feel that confident about doing(not saying I wouldn't have a go...guided by youtube perhaps - on my desktop).
I feel a bit proud(only a wee bit) that you think I am heading in the direction of geek/nerd........especially considering that I used to consider my self a techophobe.
I don't find the tablet lacking in speed, memory and plays games like world of goo etc no problems.

You saw the video of the launcher? (usually where you have the 4/5 screens where you put widgets etc on android...)

Skinned is where you make your own 'look' to something. A basic example is colour schemes on this forum. The different skins may change colours or move options like profile link from one place to another,

They have taken Ice Cream Sandwich version of Android and modified it to the extent that it is barely recognisable as an android device(appearance). Even the settings/options have been skinned to death.

So perhaps you have an android phone or two, you have an android tablet... Each device is alike because the OS is the same. You transcend from having phones that had gingerbread, then on to ICS,..and now jellybean. Settings etc are more or less the same, so you go and buy the Nexus7. Straight out of the box you will know how to use it. Guaranteed.

The kindle is so heavily skinned that some will have to learn it again. It looks like their own OS but underneath the crap ideas, the blocks and locks; Its the same as any android device.. Then it all comes down to Specs as with any PC.

Nexus devices are Googles flagship devices. They should always be the best or close to it. Also no real locks on bootloader. Just plug it in and a little command line(one line) unlocks it.

Quote:
and then find out that it isn't quite what is was supposed to be.
Yeah. A result of the heavy skinning. Great for people who's entire world is Amazon oh and the morons didn't even add a camera application and there isn't one (free) in the Amazon store...

Last edited by Restless; 02-01-2013 at 19:44.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 21:00   #42
Beacon of light

I don't have an android phone so my experience of tablets is just that(my only experience of Android)...but I get what you are saying now...and I guessed it was that(making your device a bit more personal by adding the decoration that you like) but thought it might have an alternative meaning...and if you don't ask then you stay dumb.

There are some huge gripes about the KFHD not having a free camera app, and there being none on the Amazon app store.......but again, I think someone has posted some solution to it...but it shouldn't happen...it should be readily available.
It is a bit like selling you a car and charging extra for the steering wheel.
Old 02-01-2013, 21:34   #43
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Ipad - great hardware, rubbish operating system. Not to impressed by Apple reliability either. Lad at work had his iphone exchanged twice for being faulty, another had a dead on arrival Ipad 3

Yes they work well as long as you want to do things the Apple way. I can get a £200 reduction on any Ipad 3 through work. I spent £400 on and Android tablet instead because I don't want my tablet crippled by ios.

I was hoping the new Microsoft tablets might be the ideal tablet but it's not looking good.
Restless likes this.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:37   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Ipad - great hardware, rubbish operating system. Not to impressed by Apple reliability either. Lad at work had his iphone exchanged twice for being faulty, another had a dead on arrival Ipad 3

Yes they work well as long as you want to do things the Apple way. I can get a £200 reduction on any Ipad 3 through work. I spent £400 on and Android tablet instead because I don't want my tablet crippled by ios.

I was hoping the new Microsoft tablets might be the ideal tablet but it's not looking good.
Id go for Google/Android over M$/Windows and Apple/Ios anyday. Well especially for touch screen only devices that is.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:51   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
I don't have an android phone so my experience of tablets is just that(my only experience of Android)...but I get what you are saying now...and I guessed it was that(making your device a bit more personal by adding the decoration that you like) but thought it might have an alternative meaning...and if you don't ask then you stay dumb.

There are some huge gripes about the KFHD not having a free camera app, and there being none on the Amazon app store.......but again, I think someone has posted some solution to it...but it shouldn't happen...it should be readily available.
It is a bit like selling you a car and charging extra for the steering wheel.
Yeah it is totally odd not to have camera app installed. The camera support is there of course since there is a camera. Works on facebook ETC. But. Perhaps they never bothered because they never bothered to mess with the camera at all. It looks like Stock camera to me.

Thats another thing about it. It is a bit like a kick in the balls to google. If amazon did this to a companies like m$ and Apple they would never get away with it. Thats one of the downsides to open source

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..