Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 10:29   #1
Rest in Peace

Windows 8 The Missing Manual

I received this on Friday 31/05/2013 and downloaded it myself, this explains quite a lot about getting around on 8.
P D F document consists of 36 short colourful pages, hope its some help to anyone using Windows 8.

www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=39055
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-06-2013, 19:51   #2
God Member

Re: Windows 8 The Missing Manual

two steps to ensure easy use of windows 8

1 : uninstall windows 8

2: install win 7 or win xp

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 21:33   #3
Senior Member+

Install something like startisback to add a windows start menu to the desktop
Old 02-06-2013, 21:53   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Install something like startisback to add a windows start menu to the desktop
it dosnt really stop it been crap though lol

win 8 has no buissness been on a laptop or pc its a tablet operating system

new windows for pc and laptops out soon i believe

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:15   #5
Senior Member+

Its a good option for those that no choice but to use it
Old 03-06-2013, 07:57   #6
God Member

Any "new" version will be the same underlying OS with just a tweaked GUI.

its been a while since I have said this but one of the beauties of Linux is the choice of how you want your machine to work. the GUI ( Display Manager ) is just a module that you can choose which type you want from full featured stuff like KDE through Gnome ( with choices of overlays such as Unity) to lighter faster, less fancy stuff such as LightDM.

dont lile what comes with your CD, download and try another.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:39   #7
Senior Member+

I quite like Linux, I have dual boot of Ubuntu & Windows 7, and just for basic stuff like going on internet etc. it`s great, starts up a lot quicker than windows and runs a lot smoother, but I have quite a few bits of software that only runs on windows.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:23   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Its a good option for those that no choice but to use it
Its been okay for me Rob, its one of the things Dell modified on my computer when I complained about it, I virtually ignore Windows 8 now
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:02   #9
God Member

Like what gpick?

just interested?

I've switched from Bunty to Mint at the moment but my fiddling days are far less now than they have ever been, Stuff just works in Linux and usually how I want it to ( I did a 4 month Win 8 experiment and got very frustrated with its completely illogical flow on basic stuff)

Old 03-06-2013, 10:13   #10
Senior Member+

Sage is the main one, but there`s also excel ( needed for sages excel integrated reports ) and some label design software. I know I can run them in a virtual machine with windows installed on that, but I don`t really see the point of it, I`d rather just dual boot.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:26   #11
God Member

label wise I setup Glabel under Bunty for a guy who runs a business that works brilliantly taking a csv file of names/addresses.

Sage is a pain as you say and I guess if you are in Windows for sage then Excel is a given. I do some pretty intense things in spreadsheets under Linux though without issue ( I'm a wiz with Excel and VBA as well though through work)

Old 03-06-2013, 12:31   #12
Senior Member+

Not that kind of label, it`s an ingredients label that gets printed onto a bag, use Colos Create that came with the printer, also use Nicelabel ( which does have a linux version ) if we need to print a barcode.
Excel is a great bit of software, use it for stock control, much better at it than Sage.
Old 03-06-2013, 14:06   #13
Senior Member+

I use windows just for gaming. I am told performance is up on windows 8 so I am giving it a try. Metro is totally horrible.
Old 03-06-2013, 17:10   #14
Resting in Peace

I love listening to you computer savvy guys talking about this system and that system, just wish I knew what your all on about
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 18:04   #15
Senior Member+

Re: Re: Windows 8 The Missing Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I love listening to you computer savvy guys talking about this system and that system, just wish I knew what your all on about
I have had several people tell me that windows 8 is better performance for gaming. Will see for myself. Metro is what they call the new start menu. Apparently m$ are releasing an update soon that reimplements the start menu to the desktop due to a plethora of complaints. But it is going to be some crazy hybrid thing that works with metro. Hmmm.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..